Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

22 hours ago, schultzcore said:

This concept is interesting. Especially the Silver / White / Blue combo.

18 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

naw, that's garbage

Very nice work, Brandon. Your concept would be a fine choice. (and it would spend plenty of time on my best list B)) Just curious, did McCarthy's mention of the old Lions logo inspire the pants and helmet stripes? 

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do like this concept too. It's simple and straightforward. I like the striping pattern but I'd use it only on jerseys and socks.  Add a traditional brashier stripe on the helmet and pantsand it would be perfect, but if this is what the lions rolled out, I'd be more than satisfied.

6 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Very nice work, Brandon. Your concept would be a fine choice. (and it would spend plenty of time on my best list B)) Just curious, did McCarthy's mention of the old Lions logo inspire the pants and helmet stripes? 

thank you, sir. that idea of the stripe has been in my head for years. this is the first Lions concept i've ever done that i can recall, but im always looking for something unique to use as a stripe. and i always like pulling things from history that people have forgetten about or only hardcore fans would know. for the Lions, this just seemed like a natural choice

57 minutes ago, 8BW14 said:

I do like this concept too. It's simple and straightforward. I like the striping pattern but I'd use it only on jerseys and socks.  Add a traditional brashier stripe on the helmet and pantsand it would be perfect, but if this is what the lions rolled out, I'd be more than satisfied.

the second part of the above answer addressing the stripe is i felt it was important to do something that separated this team from the Cowboys as much as possible. maybe a blue mask? maybe no stripe at all? (this is also why i used blue pants )but i think going back to a Braisher stripe would be a bad move for that Cowboys tie-in reason. the Lions haven't had that stripe in, i don't know when they changed. . .15 years or so? so, the middle of the helmet presents an opportunity for an original brand identifier. Plus, you have to think of these things as part of a set– so the 4th part of my set would be a Sanders era throwback uniform. and i believe when you have a throwback, it has to be different enough from the primary that people notice it. if it's only a slight change, then whats the point? 

so here's the full set

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 7.34.23 PM.png

one more note: the NOB is smaller than usual and the wide tracking of the "Detroit Lions" wordmark on the chest was all inspired by old car badges. going back a few pages, this is what i was talking about with using the auto industry to inspire an idea without screaming it

aaaff9855545b05b75c8117c8ece5f97.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Makes sense to me, I really appreciate that you are able to articulate your process so well. It shows how much thought you put into your designs and I really respect that, even though I don't always agree 100% with your finished product. Your work is always very professional and thorough, plus it gives everyone on here something to talk about.

18 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

thank you, sir. that idea of the stripe has been in my head for years. this is the first Lions concept i've ever done that i can recall, but im always looking for something unique to use as a stripe. and i always like pulling things from history that people have forgetten about or only hardcore fans would know. for the Lions, this just seemed like a natural choice

the second part of the above answer addressing the stripe is i felt it was important to do something that separated this team from the Cowboys as much as possible. maybe a blue mask? maybe no stripe at all? (this is also why i used blue pants )but i think going back to a Braisher stripe would be a bad move for that Cowboys tie-in reason. the Lions haven't had that stripe in, i don't know when they changed. . .15 years or so? so, the middle of the helmet presents an opportunity for an original brand identifier. Plus, you have to think of these things as part of a set– so the 4th part of my set would be a Sanders era throwback uniform. and i believe when you have a throwback, it has to be different enough from the primary that people notice it. if it's only a slight change, then whats the point? 

so here's the full set

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 7.34.23 PM.png

one more note: the NOB is smaller than usual and the wide tracking of the "Detroit Lions" wordmark on the chest was all inspired by old car badges. going back a few pages, this is what i was talking about with using the auto industry to inspire an idea without screaming it

aaaff9855545b05b75c8117c8ece5f97.jpg

I really like where this concept is going.. One thought though: instead of fighting so hard to keep the striping consistent  with all the extra outlines, what if you just used a two stripe pattern, with the stripes always being the two colors that aren't the background color? So, on blue pants, you'd have a white stripe, blue space, silver stripe.. Etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 7:38 PM, Sleeper66 said:

From the Lions' website:

DL.PNG

Really hoping these visuals are in reference to the Ford Field renovations, and not hints about uni "themes."

IMO, the triangular pattern is definitely a nod to the truss work at Ford Field, and a further extension to Detroit's industrial heritage. I think we definitely see this on the the uniforms in some way. Maybe as small trim, on the helmet strip, or subliminally patterned on numerals or striping. 

On 2/23/2017 at 8:43 AM, BrianLion said:

looks similar to the scaffolding above the field

stadium-ford-field.jpg

The above Lions header image had rivets. It's possible the uniforms numerals could appear bolted on to the uniforms. 

On 2/24/2017 at 10:24 AM, AgentColon2 said:

stock-photo-metal-letters-and-numbers-me

:blink:

Hope I'm wrong but I can already hear Nike spinning all of this as a nod to Detroit's Industrial heritage. This could get interesting, and not in a good way. 

NYCdog.png

Knowing the Lions ownership and management, there isn't going to be some crazy Bucs/Jags type changes done to the uniforms.  I'd really expect the removal of black and a return to more of a traditional look, and that's about it.  Brandon's design up top is probably pretty close to what I'd expect the final result to be. 

I think the most curious element of that graphic from the Lions' website that you're overlooking is the 2nd shade of Grey. 

Perhaps they will take a cue from Tennessee's Smokey Mountain Grey set, and mix Anthracite in with Silver & Honolulu Blue.  That would give things some depth and no one else, unless you count the Buccaneers' new Pewter, is using it.

Chrome, if anywhere, does make sense for this team...but I think that fad is dying.

Archived