Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

28 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Really?  I did not know that.  Is it this one here?  I never even noticed it.  Fine, then it's on the team, not Nike.  I have nothing against honoring someone that meant a lot to a franchise, but a permanent memorial on a jersey where it's competing for space with wordmarks, shields, special-event patches, and possibly other memorials when someone else dies, is too much.

6820554_orig.jpg

That is indeed the patch they wore from 2014-2016.  It looks good with a black background.

The Chiefs have something like that with their Lamar Hunt/AFL patch, but it's not competing with a wordmark on the collar. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone notice that the LIONS wordmark (on the blue jersey at least) appears to be the same texture as the jersey material?  Did they simply cut it out of the template used to make the gray stripe?  If so, I haven't seen that done before.  I guess it would make it 0.00002% lighter this way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Probably just the lighting, when the new Bucs helmet was unveiled it looked much darker on black background than the real version did.

I actually thought that helmet was black (or very close to it) at first.

1 hour ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

You can blow me off if you want. 

But the Lions ripping off the Bears  "GSH" by putting "WCF" on their left sleeve is the equivalent of a Steelers division rival deciding to put their logo on only one side of their helmet. 

I would argue that is a smidge of an overstatement. Maybe if a team tacked a primary logo patch on their jersey front... my gut says its a placeholder until ads work into NFL unis and Ford plunks its script logo into that sleeve local.

2 hours ago, GrimlockAutobot said:

You can blow me off if you want. 

But the Lions ripping off the Bears  "GSH" by putting "WCF" on their left sleeve is the equivalent of a Steelers division rival deciding to put their logo on only one side of their helmet. 

The idea that the Lions are "ripping off" the Bears by putting a tribute on their sleeve is hard to take seriously, not because it isn't basically true (it is, I guess) but because the Bears needed to dump that feature years ago.  It's like if someone decides to "rip off" the Browns by writing their name in big dumb letters down the pants.  Technically, in this hypothetical the Browns would be the "victim", but I'd feel more sorry for the dopes that copied them.  

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

anyone notice that the LIONS wordmark (on the blue jersey at least) appears to be the same texture as the jersey material?  Did they simply cut it out of the template used to make the gray stripe?  If so, I haven't seen that done before.  I guess it would make it 0.00002% lighter this way.

I don't think there's any doubt that the blue is the jersey material showing thru...

tempGSC32597--nfl_mezz_1280_1024_1492129

The silver stripe appears to be some sort of heavy, semi-reflective ink that would be silk-screened onto the sleeve cap, before the jersey was finally constructed.  It's a simple matter to cut the lettering out of the screen stencil, and much quicker and cheaper than running a separate screen for the blue letters, which if they were screened on top, they would have to be carefully registered to fit. (My time in a crappy silkscreen sweatshop didn't pay much, but I remember what a pain multiple color jobs could be.)

Of course, I could be wrong, and the whole stripe might be heat-pressed (basically, an industrial iron-on), but even so, the blue would still be a cut-out.

What would look nicer IMO, is if the striping was knit into the material (the Steelers still do this) and the lettering was sewn, one letter at a time, on top.  However, that would be very labor intensive, and as you point out, instead of being 0.00002% lighter, it would be maybe 0.0089% heavier, a true crime against the Nike overlords.

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I don't think there's any doubt that the blue is the jersey material showing thru...

tempGSC32597--nfl_mezz_1280_1024_1492129

The silver stripe appears to be some sort of heavy, semi-reflective ink that would be silk-screened onto the sleeve cap, before the jersey was finally constructed.  It's a simple matter to cut the lettering out of the screen stencil, and much quicker and cheaper than running a separate screen for the blue letters, which if they were screened on top, they would have to be carefully registered to fit. (My time in a crappy silkscreen sweatshop didn't pay much, but I remember what a pain multiple color jobs could be.)

Of course, I could be wrong, and the whole stripe might be heat-pressed (basically, an industrial iron-on), but even so, the blue would still be a cut-out.

What would look nicer IMO, is if the striping was knit into the material (the Steelers still do this) and the lettering was sewn, one letter at a time, on top.  However, that would be very labor intensive, and as you point out, instead of being 0.00002% lighter, it would be maybe 0.0089% heavier, a true crime against the Nike overlords.

Knitting the design into the fabric would eliminate the need for extra screen ink or heat transfer vinyl, thus resulting in the lightest possible option

9 hours ago, PaleVermilion81 said:

Except the previous Lions set wasn't a "bad design" choice. The only design flaw with the previous set was the odd numbers. The rest was a solid design. It was a "traditionalists hate it even though it is a solid design" choice.

I hate to ruin a perfectly good absurd generalization, but I'm going to do it anyway. Anyone that knows me around here knows that I'm a "traditionalist", yet I liked the previous Lions set a great deal. During the NFL season, I do weekly best and worst uniform match up lists and the Lions spent a great deal of time on my best list.  There are plenty of modern looks that I like and plenty of traditional looks that I'm not crazy about. Sorry that I don't fit your sweeping generalization. 

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Having to take a swipe at a whole group of your fellow posters is usually an acknowledgment that one's argument is weak. 

It also shows a tendency to think of things solely in terms of "black or white" and "either/or."  Not a lot of room for nuance in statements like "traditionalists hate it...." 

BB52Big.jpg

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It makes it look 46% more broke ass too. 

BB52Big.jpg

I was so very skeptical from the moment I saw that initial leak... but the more I look at these damn things the more I love them. 

Probably Nike's best redesign, no? (Did Nike redesign the Bills or did that happen just before? That would be the only other one to consider IMHO).

And who knew I could like a custom number font this much? Can't wait to see them on the field. 

Archived