Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

On 4/15/2017 at 9:44 AM, buffalo50 said:

I was so very skeptical from the moment I saw that initial leak... but the more I look at these damn things the more I love them. 

Probably Nike's best redesign, no? (Did Nike redesign the Bills or did that happen just before? That would be the only other one to consider IMHO).

And who knew I could like a custom number font this much? Can't wait to see them on the field. 

Buffalo was done the year BEFORE the Nike switch, I believe

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a long time Lions fan, I dislike the "perma-tribute" to WCF. 

George Halas he was not.  His ownership tenure saw a team that had just come off a decade of near dominance, be basically reduced to a laughingstock for all but a handful of the next 50 years.  He bought the team the same day JFK was assassinated, and mismanaged them up until the point he became physically/mentally unable to do so.   They were a rich man's toy for most of his ownership, and he was content to let them fester in mediocrity while he saw the value of his investment explode over his tenure, thanks to more competent owners and the people running the NFL.  WCF was the driving force behind hiring Bobby Ross, drafting Joey Harrington, and oh year, hiring Matt freaking Millen to be GM.  

IMO Martha Ford's done more for this team in the last few years by stepping away and letting actual football people run the team, than the old man ever did. 

Yes, WCF sucked as an owner. And I have him to thank for 40+ years of frustrating (sometimes maddening) fandom. 

But I'm still a fan. And I'll watch the games, occasionally noticing the "WCF" and not really caring because it's the Fords' team and whatever.

I don't dig it, and would rather it not be part of the new set, but I just can't get worked up over it. Maybe I'm on the wrong website....

Yeah I mean, I'm not swearing off watching the team because of it. Just stating I dislike the choice not only stylistically but also what it represents, which was five decades of mediocre stewardship, unnecessary meddling, and loyalty to incompetent "yes men."   Other than that I think the new look is an overall net positive and will gladly buy a new jersey. 

I wonder whether the Steelers will add a permanent tribute to Dan Rooney.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I wonder whether the Steelers will add a permanent tribute to Dan Rooney.

I doubt it. If they were going to wear a permanent tribute it would have been for Art Rooney, but they only wore it the season after he died. I'm expecting the same treatment for Dan Rooney.

4 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

I doubt it. If they were going to wear a permanent tribute it would have been for Art Rooney, but they only wore it the season after he died. I'm expecting the same treatment for Dan Rooney.

True...Admittedly, I was kinda blanking on the fact that this was the second Rooney.  I knew "Dan" did not quite seem right to me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

True...Admittedly, I was kinda blanking on the fact that this was the second Rooney.  I knew "Dan" did not quite seem right to me.

both Rooneys are more than deserving of some sort of permanent tribute, but i dont like the idea of the uniform element. not even on the Bears. i dont know what the Steelers have done for Art, but i think a statue at the stadium or some sort of "Rooney Corner" is more appropriate. if i were Football Czar, i might even suggest Rooney Stadium

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

both Rooneys are more than deserving of some sort of permanent tribute, but i dont like the idea of the uniform element. not even on the Bears. i dont know what the Steelers have done for Art, but i think a statue at the stadium or some sort of "Rooney Corner" is more appropriate. if i were Football Czar, i might even suggest Rooney Stadium

I agree. I actually think that uniforms should always be free from personal attachment, so to speak. I'm fine with season-long patches, but I'm not really a fan of a permanent part of the uniform recognizing a former owner. I, too, think there are better ways to honor and remember past owners, such as statues or naming the stadiums for them. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but it's just what I've always felt.

8 minutes ago, Quillz said:

I agree. I actually think that uniforms should always be free from personal attachment, so to speak. I'm fine with season-long patches, but I'm not really a fan of a permanent part of the uniform recognizing a former owner. I, too, think there are better ways to honor and remember past owners, such as statues or naming the stadiums for them. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but it's just what I've always felt.

Nope. I agree with you. And going back to the Rooney patch, the Steelers will probably do something like a patch on the front or something like that. 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

The other stupid thing with the WCF patch is that it can't really go away now.  Next time there's a redesign, could they really tell Nike or whoever the licensee is at that time to eliminate it without coming off as being disrespectful?  It kinda has to be there forever now, unless they come up with some kind of plan to make another permanent memorial somewhere.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/15/2017 at 3:47 PM, OnWis97 said:

I guess this will be an unpopular opinion, but to whatever degree it's OK for the Bears to use "GSH," it's OK for another team to do it.  I personally don't like it and I don't think an individual, regardless of who it is, should be permanently featured on a team's uniform.  That the Bears were first or have done it for a long time is neither here nor there.  So I'd rather the GSH and WCF come off.  But it's a tribute and the Bears don't get to corner the market on that.

On 4/15/2017 at 9:00 PM, Gothamite said:

Halas at least founded the Bears.  And was instrumental in founding the league.  Ford just took over from somebody else, ran the team poorly for a long time, and refused to sell.  That's not the same thing at all.  

At least the Bears memorial patch is small and somewhat hidden inside a sleeve stripe. The WCF patch is huge and covers the stripes. One is tasteful for a guy who should have one and one isn't tasteful for a guy who probably shouldn't have one. 

The worst ever was the AL patch on the Browns jerseys. That guy owned the team for like a week and was instrumental in moving the original Browns to Baltimore. 

There's an urban legend in Cincinnati that Paul Brown told his kid and people in the organization that if they ever put his initials on the uniforms he would haunt them for the rest of their lives. I guess he didn't say anything about a stadium though. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Pros:

-The color palette is perfect

-The number font isn't flawless, but it's sufficiently modern and free of unnecessary distractions

-The simplified striping is consistent across helmet, jersey, and pants

Cons:

-The white and blue outlines on the helmet logo are inconsistent with the aforementioned simplified striping

-The stylization of the WCF patch clashes, regardless of the patch's significance (or apparent lack thereof to some)

-The spacing between the stripes appears to vary ever so slightly between the helmet, jersey, and pants

Meh:

-The LIONS sleeve wordmark is there -- it isn't so much good or bad as it is just there

-The Color Rush uniform is completely gray, though given the concept it's as average as can be expected

-The Throwbacks are fine -- more significant due to history than notable in terms of anything design-related

All things considered, I think this is an excellent upgrade for Detroit. The elimination of black from their color palette went a long way, and I'm a big fan of the blue pants returning to the away uniforms. All of the pros noted above are macro elements you'll notice on every single play, whereas all of the cons are micro elements you'll only notice when closely inspecting the uniforms and explicitly looking for those things. Sure, some things would benefit from tweaking, but overall I really like what they've done here.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Next time there's a redesign, could they really tell Nike or whoever the licensee is at that time to eliminate it without coming off as being disrespectful?

I think they could. They could simply tell Nike that they've chosen to honor their former owner in another way. (Not that Nike would even care, frankly).

I have a hard time putting W.C. Ford on the same plateau as pioneers such as Halas, Hunt and Davis.

Overall, I find these uniforms one of the better Nike sets in a major sports league that has some bad uniforms.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

I think they could. They could simply tell Nike that they've chosen to honor their former owner in another way. (Not that Nike would even care, frankly).

Oh I just mean would they really request removal of a tribute when requesting a redesign.  I don't think the designer would care either way, just would the team do it considering how it would look to the public.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived