Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Not nearly as out of place as that messy second blue outline.  

Really, the lion doesn't need any outlines at all. Blue against silver works fine for the stripes, would look great for the logo. 

Oh, I agree.  It's the white space that jumps out at you when you see it, but I think losing the clunky blue outline would fix it.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

White trim looks out of place.

It hasn't been needed since the HDTV has become the norm. It was added (as I figure you know) mid-season back in 1970 in response to color TV becoming the norm.

It's where I sit.

I don't see the problem with the Lions logo popping out. Isn't that the whole point of a helmet? The logo?

It's worth noting that the Lions had a white helmet stripe before they added any white to the logo in 1970 so it didn't make sense then and it doesn't make sense now. No problem here for me. Just another weird discrepancy in the weird world of uniforms.

bSLCtu2.png

The white on the logo is fine with me (in fact I prefer it) but it may work better if the stripe pattern included white.  See the Barry Sanders era.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't see any reason to shoehorn white into the striping when blue on silver/silver on blue work perfectly well. Really would just muddle things up. contrast perfectly fine as is, so why isn't it good enough for the lion? It worked fine in the 60's, figures that there would be no problem now with HDTV and all that

17b19cb2de79a048e300df5b52a5f31d.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Yeah... The blue/white/blue on silver of the logo and the blue/silver/blue on silver of the stripes does not look nice together at all. That's a bad helmet.

18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Not nearly as out of place as that messy second blue outline.  

Really, the lion doesn't need any outlines at all. Blue against silver works fine for the stripes, would look great for the logo. 

IF you removed the white outline on the lion, then it would lose its shape.  The white outline forms the legs, fact, mane etc.

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

IF you removed the white outline on the lion, then it would lose its shape.  The white outline forms the legs, fact, mane etc.

Exactly, I think the helmet looks incredible. I especially love the fact the facemask is silver like the helmet, not gray or chrome like some were stating earlier.

25 minutes ago, Eszcz21 said:

Exactly, I think the helmet looks incredible. I especially love the fact the facemask is silver like the helmet, not grey or chrome like some were stating earlier.

The silver facemask does make a world of difference and looks a lot better than the previous facemask.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

IMO, the logo looks perfectly fine with the white and blue outlines, but I do agree it looks off considering the helmet stripe is strictly blue and silver. Adding white between the blue stripes would fix that. Or if they were set on minimizing the white, they could leave the stripes as is and make all the white outlines silver (or clear). But it should be one or the other. Right now, they've got two conflicting styles.

The set as a whole is still very nice.

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Why do you say that?  The white outline doesn't create any shapes.  If anything, it smooths over some of the shapes, especially around the mane and tail.  It rounds off the outline with less detail than the blue body has.

1007px-Detroit_Lions_logo.svg.png

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

IMO, the logo looks perfectly fine with the white and blue outlines, but I do agree it looks off considering the helmet stripe is strictly blue and silver. Adding white between the blue stripes would fix that. Or if they were set on minimizing the white, they could leave the stripes as is and make all the white outlines silver (or clear). But it should be one or the other. Right now, they've got two conflicting styles.

The set as a whole is still very nice.

I have a feeling the next iteration will resolve the inconsistencies throughout the set. I don't see major changes coming the next time around (five years?, whenever...), because the new set is already really popular among Lions fans and will likely grown on others once they see it on the field.

58 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Why do you say that?  The white outline doesn't create any shapes.  If anything, it smooths over some of the shapes, especially around the mane and tail.  It rounds off the outline with less detail than the blue body has.

1007px-Detroit_Lions_logo.svg.png

I think the white helps form those shapes.  Without the white, the blue would really blend together with the silver, especially in the fine details.

PpkgoFk.png

I tend to agree.  The white probably is more helpful now than it was with the old iteration of the lion.  But in both cases I feel like there's (just barely) not quite enough contrast...admittedly, this is just my personal preference, but I feel the white helps the Lions color combo a lot and I never liked those white-free Thanksgiving throwbacks.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived