Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

I think it's an enormous upgrade.  The Lions look like the Lions.  The color scheme is beautiful.   The unified stripe pattern is nice, though this renders the helmet a bit inferior to the Barry Sanders era.  But it's better than the narrow pattern of the previous era.  The number font is a slight upgrade.

The only thing that's worse is the "Lions" on one sleeve and the initials on the other.

So, yeah...

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It can be both a tremendous upgrade and unforgivably masturbatory at the same time. 

The sleeve letters are bad, but they are also not even always evident.  What was always evident was the black marring a great color scheme.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said this before, but... when they're playing on the tube, the new set should look damn good, and most of the awkward elements will be barely noticeable, if that. 

The only problem element that will stand out is the blue road pants, and I'm hoping those will fade into obscurity over the next few seasons.

21 minutes ago, Sleeper66 said:

I've said this before, but... when they're playing on the tube, the new set should look damn good, and most of the awkward elements will be barely noticeable, if that. 

The only problem element that will stand out is the blue road pants, and I'm hoping those will fade into obscurity over the next few seasons.

I agree with this.. But I would also say that in a similar fashion, when they're playing on the tube, the beautiful blue/gray color scheme was still very apparent, even with the black elements they had previously.. My issues are with those finer details, because if you're going to include them, include them in the right ways, otherwise, leave them out to avoid muddying up the uniform..

The new look would be improved with a few tweaks (in no particular order)..

1. Either remove white completely (apart from away jersey obviously), or include it in the striping pattern in the current "negative space"

2. Remove the dark gray or use it more.. Removing it in favor of white numbers/gray  outline (as many of us initially thought we were seeing when the uniforms were unveiled) would be a decent step

3. Move LIONS wordmark back to chest (very small) or remove completely, and move WCF logo back to chest patch or to a helmet decal to de-clutter the sleeve stripes

4. The above would likely fix the helmet issues, but a blue facemask is always an option, and could be an improvement as well..

I actually really like the direction of the new set, it just wasn't executed as well as it should've been.. I also think the previous set gets a lot of undue hate.. Sure, it needed a couple tweaks as well, but it was still serviceable - and with the proper tweaks (helmet/pants stripe for starters), could've actually been pretty darn good, despite having black.. 

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

1. Either remove white completely (apart from away jersey obviously), or include it in the striping pattern in the current "negative space"

2. Remove the dark gray or use it more.. Removing it in favor of white numbers/gray  outline (as many of us initially thought we were seeing when the uniforms were unveiled) would be a decent step

3. Move LIONS wordmark back to chest (very small) or remove completely, and move WCF logo back to chest patch or to a helmet decal to de-clutter the sleeve stripes

4. The above would likely fix the helmet issues, but a blue facemask is always an option, and could be an improvement as well.

I wouldn't be opposed to any of those changes. However, we differ in terms of how much of an upgrade the new set is, which affects how much the details they got "wrong" pose a problem. 

As a fan, I loathed the addition of black from day one, and never stopped. It served as a symbol of everything that was wrong about the Millen era (cosmetic toughness instead of the real thing; blunt force stupidity in all things). Dropping the black obscures many (though not all) of the lingering issues. 

2 hours ago, Sleeper66 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to any of those changes. However, we differ in terms of how much of an upgrade the new set is, which affects how much the details they got "wrong" pose a problem. 

As a fan, I loathed the addition of black from day one, and never stopped. It served as a symbol of everything that was wrong about the Millen era (cosmetic toughness instead of the real thing; blunt force stupidity in all things). Dropping the black obscures many (though not all) of the lingering issues. 

The problem here is the "from day one" part.. Initially, they absolutely forced black into the identity that was completely designed without any black.. It was crude and clumsy, and the disjointed look felt like a JV team whose Varsity team recently rebranded, and the JV team ended up with a mismatch of eras crammed into one uniform.. I agree that it was bad, but I also feel like that first abomination tainted the inclusion of black for most people, especially Lions fans and those who follow the team more closely.. I don't see the Lions often, especially then when they weren't any good, so I never developed much of an opinion of the early black set until after the fact.. The more recent version was redesigned with black in mind and imo was done tastefully.. I would tweak a few things as I said, but I don't think it was bad.. 

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It can be both a tremendous upgrade and unforgivably masturbatory at the same time. 

Masturbatory is the word you're going to have to expand upon here. I find it tasteful because there is no other team doing the northwestern stripe and it secures the NFC North as the best dressed division. And I'd hate if they crammed white into the stripes for the sake of history. This is the new lions. Let's give it season before we write them off completely. 

Midway.png

13 hours ago, Midway said:

Masturbatory is the word you're going to have to expand upon here. I find it tasteful because there is no other team doing the northwestern stripe and it secures the NFC North as the best dressed division. And I'd hate if they crammed white into the stripes for the sake of history. This is the new lions. Let's give it season before we write them off completely. 

Enshrining a family member's memorial as a permanent uniform feature, despite how truly awful that person's tenure with the club was, is masturbatory. And worthy of as much ridicule as we can possibly lob at it. 

I was at the Lion's training camp/practice the other day. Some uniform observations.

• The practice jerseys with the updated number font and no sleeve striping looked great.  These would've been fine as the "real" jerseys, both in blue and white versions.
  • The removal of black - PERFECT.  Honolulu blue and silver.
  • The color rush jersey actually looks nice.  I wanted to hate it, but after seeing it in person on 100 people, it looked good.
  • I like the new home jersey a lot. It would've been perfect without the "LIONS" and "WCF" wordmarks on the sleeves.  "Mastabatory" was used in this thread.  Yeah, it is, but the new jerseys are nice. More Lions-like than anything we've seen since the dark years of Matt Millen onward.

Overall, the absence of black make the new look a big winner..

However, head coach Caldwell wears a black hat.  

And my beloved Lions have one playoff win since 1957.
|  5989f2063ed59_LionsTrainingCampGuide.png.25695290a3724540b62642ca2c065e47.png

22 hours ago, Proc said:

I like the new home jersey a lot. It would've been perfect without the "LIONS" and "WCF" wordmarks on the sleeves.  "Mastabatory" was used in this thread.  Yeah, it is, but the new jerseys are nice. More Lions-like than anything we've seen since the dark years of Matt Millen onward.

That's what's so frustrating.  The new Lions uniforms are such a huge leap forward, this misstep feels so wrong.

Are there little nit picky things that would be better fixed? Of course. But on the whole, this is a massive upgrade and they look like the classic Lions of old. Feels about what I'd expect from a modern interpretation of a Barry Sanders era look. Two thumbs up from me.

I really like them. That third picture down is a stunning photograph. 

But they still feel like a high school team who's using the Lions logo. It'll take some getting used to.

My only notes are that they would look better with white numbers, white stripes in the middle of the helmet and pants stripes and lose the WCF patch. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

They look great without the black accents. And while the Lions fan above doesn't want the blue pants, I can't wait to see to see them with white jerseys. I'm not a fan of gray/silver pants with a white jersey, especially when your helmet is silver. 

But I respect his opinion more because he is a Lions fan, and it's his team. He has emotion invested in the team, and I don't. To me, I just see it as another team's uniform.

Archived