Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

They could pull this off: 

H:  Modernized version of the classic Honolulu blue over grayish silver, less to no black.  maybe alt version with blue pants, but I vote no. 

A:  Modernized version of the white jersey over new white pants.  Can mix and match white pants with grey/silver ones once in a while home and away. I vote no on blue pants. 

X2 Alt:  Classic Thanksgiving (1980-90s) Throwback look with no logo

X1 Color Rush:  Grayish/Silver jersey over same pants.  

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

I think that'd make more sense if the Lions weren't one of the oldest franchises in the league. I mean, Cleveland already cornered the market on "We're old and storied but never win, so let's change it up", and look what we ended up with. No thanks. 

I get your point but still think chrome for team named Lions for lions of the car industry makes sense. Maybe more industrial then, like raw metal?

SHOC-Clear-Visor-Football.png

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

I get your point but still think chrome for team named Lions for lions of the car industry makes sense. Maybe more industrial then, like raw metal?

SHOC-Clear-Visor-Football.png

i like the chrome idea but used tastefully. i wouldnt  decribe a chrome plated helmet that way, but a little bit of chrome trim around the logo, some thin stripes, even working it into the uniform like around the numbers would be nice. basically take the approach of "chrome trim" rather than "we're the chrome team"

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

17 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i like the chrome idea but used tastefully. i wouldnt  decribe a chrome plated helmet that way, but a little bit of chrome trim around the logo, some thin stripes, even working it into the uniform like around the numbers would be nice. basically take the approach of "chrome trim" rather than "we're the chrome team"

Exactly! A more refined approach at modernizing the uniform

Lionshelmet.png

7 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I think it would depend on the shade of grey/silver used in the uniform.. If the uniform is really white-heavy, the chrome can act as a silver.. If it's silver/grey heavy (and a slightly darker silver/grey), then the chrome can act as more of a white.. 

According to the leaked Pantone colors for the new logo, the silver is still the same and the only thing that changed as far as the silver goes is in its metallic application. It's 8180c now and previously was 877c so I'm asumming the silver grey is what they use currently 

Lionshelmet.png

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i like the chrome idea but used tastefully.

I guess it's technically possible to pull off but I've yet to see a case of chrome (or matte) on a football helmet that looked superior to the same design with standard gloss. 

Though I admit, your chrome highlight idea is intriguing. That's the way to make chrome work, if it's ever going to work.  

I think this would be cool like WavePunter said. Having the chrome be an accent or fill in for the grey outline. (Also I'm pretty sure i saw on their snapchat that the lions have the logo all metallic with the chrome stripe on the doors to their practice field)

Lions logo.jpg

Lionshelmet.png

Has anyone noticed that on the lions website they are using a new background texture. I wonder if that is going to be incorporated into the uniforms. They also have a grey version of the pattern with the darker grey looking like anthracite. I also find it strange that they're selling merch with the logo on black shirts.

2017-season-ticket-banner-010516.jpg

NEWLOOK_Aspot_2_1_17_LION.jpg

Lionshelmet.png

4 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Every team ever sells black merchandise, it doesn't mean anything.

The pattern is definitely interesting though. Sublimated lion fur could be interesting but I don't know...

Thank goodness as a lions fan I'm ready to move on from black. Also after researching patterns in Nike uniforms it seems that they like to use patterns in their numbers

Lionshelmet.png

9 hours ago, detam said:

Has anyone noticed that on the lions website they are using a new background texture. I wonder if that is going to be incorporated into the uniforms. They also have a grey version of the pattern with the darker grey looking like anthracite. I also find it strange that they're selling merch with the logo on black shirts.

2017-season-ticket-banner-010516.jpg

NEWLOOK_Aspot_2_1_17_LION.jpg

hard to say with the texture. every team has patterns they use in select marketing material (Dolphins use a pattern that reflects stadium roof rafters) but certainly Nike isnt afraid to pitch those ideas for the uniforms. 

black will always be a desired neutral color for apparel

58a963a27a352_Lionslogo.thumb.jpg.5df406c5ee6fb5da9e44f8200281f55c.jpg

yea i like this direction. for an RGB purpose, i'd go even more subtle. (used a generic wordmark because lazy)

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 1.49.43 PM.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

10 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Not a fan of that texture.

Me either.

Someone already posted these sentiments earlier in the thread, but it needs repeating;

The Lions are one of the oldest teams in the league... they are entering their 87th season. Chrome highlights, sublimated fur patterns, etc. are all beyond unseemly for a team that's been around this long.  If you want to put the Seahawks in monochrome PJs with patterns in the numbers?  OK.  You want to trick out the Buccaneers with alarm clock numbers and a ridiculously large helmet logo?  Sure, go on.  Put the Jaguars in a silly half and half helmet?  Knock yourself out.  All will be ugly and stupid looking, and will be outdated before the five year rule can save them, but you can say you're experimenting with new ideas, yada yada.  But take the Cleveland Browns, Paul Brown's Cleveland Browns, a team so tradition bound they've refused to put a logo on their helmet for fifty years... take that team and run giant letters down their pant legs, make them run out of the tunnel in orange leotards, those players will look like straight up morons.

The lions have a great two color scheme... that blue with silver is gorgeous.  They have a handsomely updated logo, one that works well to suggest the original and still look contemporary at the same time.  What the Lions need is a simple, classic design, modern in the clean sense, not the kitchen sink sense. A few nice details, something subtle (if that's still a word that can be used in sports design) would be nice, but there's no reason to mess with something that's this easy.  

This should be a slam dunk.  Don't over think it.  They have everything they need, as is, to have a great uniform.  Just remain calm, and don't jump on some stupid visual bandwagon.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Me either.

Someone already posted these sentiments earlier in the thread, but it needs repeating;

The Lions are one of the oldest teams in the league... they are entering their 87th season. Chrome highlights, sublimated fur patterns, etc. are all beyond unseemly for a team that's been around this long.  If you want to put the Seahawks in monochrome PJs with patterns in the numbers?  OK.  You want to trick out the Buccaneers with alarm clock numbers and a ridiculously large helmet logo?  Sure, go on.  Put the Jaguars in a silly half and half helmet?  Knock yourself out.  All will be ugly and stupid looking, and will be outdated before the five year rule can save them, but you can say you're experimenting with new ideas, yada yada.  But take the Cleveland Browns, Paul Brown's Cleveland Browns, a team so tradition bound they've refused to put a logo on their helmet for fifty years... take that team and run giant letters down their pant legs, make them run out of the tunnel in orange leotards, those players will look like straight up morons.

The lions have a great two color scheme... that blue with silver is gorgeous.  They have a handsomely updated logo, one that works well to suggest the original and still look contemporary at the same time.  What the Lions need is a simple, classic design, modern in the clean sense, not the kitchen sink sense. A few nice details, something subtle (if that's still a word that can be used in sports design) would be nice, but there's no reason to mess with something that's this easy.  

This should be a slam dunk.  Don't over think it.  They have everything they need, as is, to have a great uniform.  Just remain calm, and don't jump on some stupid visual bandwagon.

Why though? Why stay with history if the lions have a history of infutility? Everybody keeps saying they want to go back but that's the beauty of design, at one point, those old jerseys were new and different. So, I know the lions will keep their classic colors but I hope they change it up. Their jersey has stayed relatively the same for quite some time minus the black and maybe playing around with the stripe thickness'

Lionshelmet.png

Archived