Lions New Logo and Uniforms 2017

gek_6

The history of futility has nothing to do with the uniforms or vise versa. For long stretches the Lions' look was the only thing the fan base could feel good about, aside from reading about the '50s.

A "fresh" or "fire" update won't change their fortunes on the field, so I'm with those hoping they strongly evoke the past while adding subtle updates (Vikings style).

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure but nobody rarely says, "Hey I wanna spend an x amount of dollars to rebrand just cuz". I'm sure many of you know that any design can be improved so long as it is excuted well (i.e. browns). The browns could've done something to improve their uniforms and logos in a modern way but the execution was lacking.

Lionshelmet.png

3 minutes ago, detam said:

Sure but nobody rarely says, "Hey I wanna spend an x amount of dollars to rebrand just cuz". I'm sure many of you know that any design can be improved so long as it is excuted well (i.e. browns). The browns could've done something to improve their uniforms and logos in a modern way but the execution was lacking.

The problem is that Nike has a less than stellar track record of executing well, thus the consternation.

It's where I sit.

8 minutes ago, detam said:

Sure but nobody rarely says, "Hey I wanna spend an x amount of dollars to rebrand just cuz"...The browns could've done something to improve their uniforms and logos in a modern way but the execution was lacking.

The Browns are Exhibit A for why the Lions shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. The Browns, like the Lions, were a team with a lot of history but a lot of recent futility. Then they decided to "change it up" for reasons never fully explained and now they look like a struggling mid-major. 

...I'm sure many of you know that any design can be improved so long as it is excuted well...

Everyone knows that. The new logo seems to have been met with near-universal praise. Even people who take issue with some of the shading choices around the mane still admit it's an improvement over the old logo.

So no one's saying "go back to the old look verbatim." They're saying "keep the new stuff that works (the new logo) and pair it with more timeless elements that we know works (the older colour scheme and layout)."

27 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Browns are Exhibit A for why the Lions shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. The Browns, like the Lions, were a team with a lot of history but a lot of recent futility. Then they decided to "change it up" for reasons never fully explained and now they look like a struggling mid-major. 

Everyone knows that. The new logo seems to have been met with near-universal praise. Even people who take issue with some of the shading choices around the mane still admit it's an improvement over the old logo.

So no one's saying "go back to the old look verbatim." They're saying "keep the new stuff that works (the new logo) and pair it with more timeless elements that we know works (the older colour scheme and layout)."

I think the problem with the Browns is that they let the history dictate too much of a design and you get that mishmash of modernizing history. Design should either choose to be modern or historic. But that's my opinion and we all know what they say about ppls opinions haha

Lionshelmet.png

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

There's nothing about the current Browns' look that was "dictated" by history. If history "dictated" the design they never would have changed.

Brown uniform history has the utilization of stripes on the sleeve as well as block numbers... one could say it was reinterpretation of their 1984 uniforms with some tweaks

Lionshelmet.png

1 minute ago, detam said:

Brown uniform history has the utilization of stripes on the sleeve as well as block numbers...

The sleeve stripes are the least bad thing about the design. 

And if Nike and the Browns had used any of the block numbers with a significant history behind them, they wouldn't have made the bad choice they did.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

"I hope they change it up because change" has led to some truly awful designs in NFL history. 

Sometimes the most obvious option is the right one.

What's that Jeff Goldblum Jurassic Park quote? Something like: they were so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

That being said, I like a good dumpster-fire every now and then. I say get crazy Detroit.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

44 minutes ago, MiK said:

What's that Jeff Goldblum Jurassic Park quote? Something like: they were so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

That being said, I like a good dumpster-fire every now and then. I say get crazy Detroit.

Hahahaha!!

Lionshelmet.png

Anybody think it would be cool if all teams had a throwback that featured the long sleeve jerseys or is that just me? Also through research the lions seem like they'll have a throwback this year but it will be different than the logo less one.

Lionshelmet.png

3 hours ago, detam said:

Brown uniform history has the utilization of stripes on the sleeve as well as block numbers... one could say it was reinterpretation of their 1984 uniforms with some tweaks

It's more similar to their inaugural 1946 set, if anything, though I see the 1984 parallels as well.

9 hours ago, detam said:

Anybody think it would be cool if all teams had a throwback that featured the long sleeve jerseys or is that just me? Also through research the lions seem like they'll have a throwback this year but it will be different than the logo less one.

players would hate it, but i've been wanting to see a compression half-sleeve undershirt utilized in an NFL design ever sense Oregon State did it in 2010.  

i believe they'll have a throwback as well, but there's no way they'll have a blue color rush, home, and throwback jersey. i think the new uniforms will riff off of the Sanders era uniforms, so if that happens why would they have a throwback to that era? either way, im starting to think whatever throwback they do will feature a white jersey

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

19 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

players would hate it, but i've been wanting to see a compression half-sleeve undershirt utilized in an NFL design ever sense Oregon State did it in 2010.  

i believe they'll have a throwback as well, but there's no way they'll have a blue color rush, home, and throwback jersey. i think the new uniforms will riff off of the Sanders era uniforms, so if that happens why would they have a throwback to that era? either way, im starting to think whatever throwback they do will feature a white jersey

Agreed! Not that there's much to work with in this regard, but something a bit daring/unique in a throwback would be nice since they're already (presumably) scaling back the primaries. If the new primaries feature a blue facemask and a Nike-fied number font, the 1957 set below might be a good throwback, assuming the helmet, striping, and block font all differentiate from the primaries:

Detroit+Lions+1200.jpg

The Bills were plunked in a similar situation with their last change. Their throwbacks are great, but almost require a double-take to differentiate from their white primaries in action.

13 hours ago, detam said:

But every one of those "tweaks" is what makes the Browns uniforms singularly awful.  Had they just brought back the 1984 uniforms they would have been bad but passable. 

The Browns 84 uniforms were a famous mistake that they corrected after one year, not a shining moment in the team's history worth basing a new uniform off of. That the current uniforms look so much like them is hilarious, completely accidental IMO, and sad. THEY LITERALLY REPEATED HISTORY! 

The Lions would be wise to just go back to a modern update of the Barry Sanders unis with current logo and call it a day. They won't because this is the Lions and this is Nike so at best we'll get the Detroit Lions version of the Dolphins uniforms and at worst we'll get the Detroit Lions version of the Bucs uniforms. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The Lions would be wise to just go back to a modern update of the Barry Sanders unis with current logo and call it a day. They won't because this is the Lions and this is Nike so at best we'll get the Detroit Lions version of the Dolphins uniforms and at worst we'll get the Detroit Lions version of the Bucs uniforms. 

I'm clinging to the idea that whoever decided to drop the black (excellent impulse) was also heavily involved in the new uniforms' design, which allows the possibility the new set won't be a complete cluster:censored:.

Also, I understand the fondness for the Sanders era unis, but I'm hoping they reach further back and return to silver/grey numbers .

48526e03e5e886a160041bd3bb5cb240.PNG

16 hours ago, detam said:

Sure, if the designers doing the reinterpretation were tripping on acid. 

BB52Big.jpg

52 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Pretty much. I'd love to see a Buffalo/Minnesota style take on the Lions new look, but I'm preparing myself for a giant logo on one side of the helmet, vertical sleeve stripes, and a bunch of Nike-speak claiming the new look is a cross between the automotive industry and a lion roaming the plains of Africa. 

BB52Big.jpg

Archived