davidmiller5

Flames Design for High School UPDATE 2/14

Recommended Posts

I am working on an athletic logo and branding for my high school alma mater. The school asked me to come up with a new logo (or logos) for the sports teams; in the past they have used the school's academic logo for the sports teams. It has an odd gradient, so it is really difficult to reproduce on clothing (and the students don't like it so they tend to not wear any school gear). The school has always been blue and white, but the principal and athletic director want to add orange as a new color. Their mascot is the flames, and their initials are SCS (or just SC), so I am trying to work an SC(S) into a flame design.

 

Now I would like some feedback. Which of these options does the best to make both the flame and the SC most recognizable (or is the entire idea not working)? Please note: These are still somewhat rough; I skewed and rotated them. After I pick a final design, I will go back through and rework some curves, reapply the outlines, and add the sharper outlines on the top and bottom of the flame like what is shown in #3. So please don't base your opinion of which logo is best to which one is currently cleanest; please let me know which one has the shape that best shows a flame and an SC concurrently.

SC1.png  SC2.png  SC3.png  logo-options-small.gif

I know the differences are subtle, so I also made a gif that helps see the differences.

 

I also wanted to come up with an idea that was a bit more adventurous and stretched the idea of the name Flames. I proposed working on a phoenix-bursting-into-flames logo, and somewhat surprisingly to me, the AD and principal both liked the idea. I think I am almost finished with it and thought I would share it here. I'd be happy for C&C on it as well.

phoenix-17-02-03.png

phoenix-17-02-03-no-back.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

honestly the only thing I can think of to make the C pop is make it yellow orange... or yellow

 

The Firebird is pretty fantastic... solid, solid work.

 

You could rework the icon to have basketball lines to go sport specific

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2017 at 1:29 PM, FFWally said:

honestly the only thing I can think of to make the C pop is make it yellow orange... or yellow

 

The Firebird is pretty fantastic... solid, solid work.

 

You could rework the icon to have basketball lines to go sport specific

They only want to add orange, and I have learned that fewer colors for high schools are preferable due to expense and difficulty in matching colors across different clothing companies, etc. Finding a good yellow-orange that could be used across multiple applications would be almost impossible with their budget. But, adding yellow-orange could be a fun for a concept. Do you have a preference between the three different logos?

 

Thanks for the encouragement with the phoenix/firebird. I have spent a lot of time getting it to where it currently is.

 

Yes, I have envisioned adding sport specific lines at times (for basketball/volleyball warmup shirts, etc.), but I'm glad to hear you think I would be a good idea too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest you make the "SC" shape white with blue outline, ad add an Orange flame shaped background. 

 

I tried to mock it up, but I can't really get a good flame shape.

 

SCS.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the phoenix logo, but to me, the two random teardrop shapes on the inside of the wings just feels a little weird. Feels like they're kind of unnecessary. Good work on everything else though! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, davidmiller5 said:

They only want to add orange, and I have learned that fewer colors for high schools are preferable due to expense and difficulty in matching colors across different clothing companies, etc. Finding a good yellow-orange that could be used across multiple applications would be almost impossible with their budget. But, adding yellow-orange could be a fun for a concept. Do you have a preference between the three different logos?

 

Thanks for the encouragement with the phoenix/firebird. I have spent a lot of time getting it to where it currently is.

 

Yes, I have envisioned adding sport specific lines at times (for basketball/volleyball warmup shirts, etc.), but I'm glad to hear you think I would be a good idea too.

So color matching is an easy fix. 

 

Give them Pantone colors. Those match across all forms of media, its an important part of creating a logo/brand.

 

And I go with #3 the rounded stroke doesn't work for flames...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Frenchie said:

I suggest you make the "SC" shape white with blue outline, ad add an Orange flame shaped background. 

 

I tried to mock it up, but I can't really get a good flame shape.

 

SCS.png

I've tried messing with that and haven't found anything that I like yet. Currently, I am exploring thickening up the SC to get rid of most or all of the negative space. I'll continue to explore this idea, though. Thanks.

 

13 hours ago, bucknut42 said:

I really like the phoenix logo, but to me, the two random teardrop shapes on the inside of the wings just feels a little weird. Feels like they're kind of unnecessary. Good work on everything else though! 

Duly noted. I'm not fully convinced I like them either. 

 

6 hours ago, FFWally said:

So color matching is an easy fix. 

 

Give them Pantone colors. Those match across all forms of media, its an important part of creating a logo/brand.

 

And I go with #3 the rounded stroke doesn't work for flames...

I was referring to actual garment color, but in my experience Pantone doesn't always work perfectly with the small t-shirt and apparel guys. When I expressed interest in locking in Pantone colors with my redesign for the school I currently teach at, our local t-shirt guy said he could get his Pantone swatch book out and we "could get something close to that." I'm not saying that our guy is good (I've had quite a few frustrations with him), but this can be the reality for small schools with very little budget.

 

As I said in my explanation, any shape that I would pick would be cleaned up and given the pointed strokes. I have to create them individually to do that, though, so I wanted to get the look I wanted for one but didn't take the time to give them all the pointed strokes. Do you like the shape/readability of 3 best?

 

Thanks for the feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about using a torch image? The SC could be shown in the wrap that is lit on the top or a combination of flame, bowl, and handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly. I like 1 better. But w the sharp stroke. Not rounded. 

 

T shirts are always a problem. Always. So you go w what's closest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2017 at 5:31 PM, FFWally said:

Honestly. I like 1 better. But w the sharp stroke. Not rounded. 

 

T shirts are always a problem. Always. So you go w what's closest. 

 

I think I misunderstood you; I am planning on setting Pantone colors for the project before I was finished. I was talking more about garment colors, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2017 at 7:28 PM, hettinger_rl said:

What about using a torch image? The SC could be shown in the wrap that is lit on the top or a combination of flame, bowl, and handle.

That's an idea I hadn't really considered. I'm not sure I completely understand what you are suggesting when you say the "SC could be shown in the wrap that is lit," though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davidmiller5 said:

That's an idea I hadn't really considered. I'm not sure I completely understand what you are suggesting when you say the "SC could be shown in the wrap that is lit," though.

It depends on what kind of torch you'd use. I had originally thought of a "cave" style torch with fuel soaked fabric on the end of a stick. But you could use a greek/olympic style torch and work the SC into the handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried thickening up the logo and really think it is an improvement. I also made the flame circular based instead of rounded-rectangle based. Do you prefer the double outline or the single outline?

pointed-outline-double.png

 

pointed-outline-single.png

 

@bucknut42, here is the phoenix logo without the drops. I do think it is an improvement.

phoenix-no-drops.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much much better. The tear drops seemed kinda random. Removing them really tightens the logo up (it kinda brings it all together into one shape)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.