Manchester United crest concept

mcrosby

I wanted to go the extreme simplification and move towards a global brand that we saw from Juventus with their recent update.

history.jpg

Since I'm just starting this process, I started with the Mariners trident logo and moved on from there. I tried making the trident look as much like an M and U, and then rotated it to match the stripes from the 1960-1973 logo. I'd like to simplify further, but I'm not exactly sure how. 

manu.png

Usually I'm of the mindset that simpler is better and I get what you're going for. I like the crest without the ship better and I think the shape is unique enough to stand on its own. I just feel like it needs something that I can't put my finger on. You have a good start though.

I agree with what other people have kind of been touching on. The removal of the ship leaves an empty yellow band which feels like is incomplete/missing something. Have you tried it so that the outline is the same thickness all the way around the shield? Or as suggested with MUFC or 1878 for example.

Personally, I like the ship. It makes it instantly recognisable as Manchester United to me, particularly in those colours, as well as the historic links to the cotton industry in Manchester (despite any negative connotations that brings). Maybe it's not as simplistic as you would like with the ship included, so I understand your thinking.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Archived