The MetLife Stadium Apocalypse

MTZehvor

So this is more of a curiosity question that I...thought would go here, but I'm not entirely sure. Feel free to move if it belongs somewhere else.

In case you haven't already seen it, WSJ posted a video online a few years back detailing the process for changing MetLife Stadium from Giants to Jets. It's a fairly time consuming ordeal, taking roughly two full work days. In other words, not a process that can be completed overnight. So my question is...if in some alternate reality the Giants and Jets both hosted a playoff game on the same weekend, what do you think they would do in regards to stadium decor? Would they find some way to hurriedly change end zone panels inbetween the game, or would they just go with some kind of neutral color "New York" wordmark?

I do know both teams hosted wild card games in the playoffs after the 1985 season, but I'm not having any luck finding pictures of what they did then...

rsz_screen_shot_2017-02-13_at_32545_pm.png

I could see them trying one endzone for each for that wkend, & if need be, mixing up the colour schemes around the stadium if not axing them altogether- or perhaps one half fully Jets, the other Giants.  

Maybe they just go wordless for the endzones.

I don't think they'd be planning for this with some surprise New York endzone set.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

13 hours ago, MTZehvor said:

So this is more of a curiosity question that I...thought would go here, but I'm not entirely sure. Feel free to move if it belongs somewhere else.

In case you haven't already seen it, WSJ posted a video online a few years back detailing the process for changing MetLife Stadium from Giants to Jets. It's a fairly time consuming ordeal, taking roughly two full work days. In other words, not a process that can be completed overnight. So my question is...if in some alternate reality the Giants and Jets both hosted a playoff game on the same weekend, what do you think they would do in regards to stadium decor? Would they find some way to hurriedly change end zone panels inbetween the game, or would they just go with some kind of neutral color "New York" wordmark?

I do know both teams hosted wild card games in the playoffs after the 1985 season, but I'm not having any luck finding pictures of what they did then...

MetLife hosts the NJSIAA high school football titles (well, 10 of the 23 in NJ), and three years ago I went, they had the stadium signage as Giants, but the endzone panels were Giants in one endzone and Jets in the other endzone. The games were played on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (2 games, 4 games, and 4 games). I don't believe there were any games that weekend for the Giants or Jets that Thursday or Monday.

6 hours ago, Chico said:

The stadium is a dump.  I regret spending 20k in PSL's to watch that joke of a team called the New York Jets. I still can't believe it cost 1 Billion dollars to build. 

Other than being home to the Jets, MetLife is a really nice stadium, my dad and I went to see the preparations for the Super Bowl a few years back and it was massive

AwvgSX4.png

8 hours ago, Chico said:

The stadium is a dump.  I regret spending 20k in PSL's to watch that joke of a team called the New York Jets. I still can't believe it cost 1 Billion dollars to build. 

What's so dumpy about it?

Not that I doubt you. Some of the new stadiums are sorely disappointing for their exorbitant price tags. Levis Stadium chief among them. It's like a bare bones erector set with a hotel attached to it.

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Not that I doubt you. Some of the new stadiums are sorely disappointing for their exorbitant price tags. Levis Stadium chief among them. It's like a bare bones erector set with a hotel attached to it.

I can't figure out why a new stadium looks like an SEC stadium that's been added on to and rehabbed over the span of 75 years? Just an all-time awful example of architecture.

I will say this about the Metlife Stadium crews: They do deserve a big round of applause for the work that they do in changing the field markings and whatnot. So often, many of these behind-the-scenes people largely go unnoticed.... but they are probably the hardest working people in all of sports, and my hat is off to all of them.

UBwef0L.png

1 hour ago, johnnysama said:

I will say this about the Metlife Stadium crews: They do deserve a big round of applause for the work that they do in changing the field markings and whatnot. So often, many of these behind-the-scenes people largely go unnoticed.... but they are probably the hardest working people in all of sports, and my hat is off to all of them.

Meh.

Oakland, Miami, Tampa Bay, USC/the LA Coliseum and formerly San Diego and Atlanta have to do more drastic changes more often. Heck, the Cowboys have to do a change AT&T Stadium from NFL on Thanksgiving to NCAA turf on Black Friday for Tech/Baylor and that's changing the entire field. Also may have to do it for the Cotton Bowl and any playoff game.

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think this is why Rams/Chargers stadium is supposed to use digital adboards for pretty much everything.  Other than the few hours to swap out fields markings it's a switch out of graphics packages.  

Hooks and grommets are your friends for wall decorations.

6 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

I went to Levi's Stadium for Wrestlemania 31 and it wasn't anything too special. It felt like 49ers didn't even try to get anything to spice the place up.

bSLCtu2.png

25 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I went to Levi's Stadium for Wrestlemania 31 and it wasn't anything too special. It felt like 49ers didn't even try to get anything to spice the place up.

You sat in $hitty seats. The club level is really good, but its the bars dont keep tabs; drinks were charged by each. You can keep a tab at the Coliseum club seats (as you can Baltimore, Dallas, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Miami and Jax)

Because what money Jerry and Jean Jones could put into art, the 49ers needed to put into seismic/earthquake prevention.

Levi's is a B. However to become an A in California, you must spend another $800 to $1B.

Digression: The Chase Center is likely going to hustle to break even after 15 years. This ain't like building The Palace.

On 2/10/2017 at 6:10 AM, dont care said:

They already did just that this year, and just used blank endzones. Everything else can get changed over in about an 8 hour period

That's...really disappointing. At least a neutral color "New York" in both endzones would be something.

Kinda hope they'd at least do that in a playoff scenario, though given how little effort has been put into playoff and Super Bowl field designs in recent years, that's probably too much to hope for.

rsz_screen_shot_2017-02-13_at_32545_pm.png

52 minutes ago, MTZehvor said:

That's...really disappointing. At least a neutral color "New York" in both endzones would be something.

Kinda hope they'd at least do that in a playoff scenario, though given how little effort has been put into playoff and Super Bowl field designs in recent years, that's probably too much to hope for.

You have to wonder if NJ would be pissed about that since that's where the stadium is. 

Anubis.png

2 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

You have to wonder if NJ would be pissed about that since that's where the stadium is. 

Stop it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived