AHL | Chicago Wolves Rebrand | w/ Chicago flag colors

Go Red Sox!

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 4:23 PM, mr.nascar13 said:

Another job well done, Red Sox, as always.

I would go with the third option for the C. I'm not seeing the similarity to the Indians at all. This has stars, no serif, different colors, and two outlines, while the Indians don't even use a single outline. I think you'd be better off with with option C.

I'm really digging that primary mark, though. Is that a custom font?

Thanks a lot, mr.nascar13.

It's an edited typeface.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/11/2017 at 11:54 AM, Go Red Sox! said:

Chicago%20Wolves%20alternate%20logo_zpsg

I feel like the wolf could be cleaned up a little. The eye seems like it's either too big or in the wrong place; and I feel like the shapes could be smoothed a little. I get that you're going for a rough/wild feel, but I think you could still get that while smoothing areas like the back. Lastly, the back end seems low; almost like a german shepherd.

cedf5457d91f079284d5a80eb2efbf5f.jpgfile_23188_german-shepherd-dog.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I can confirm that I personally did not notice the W, but I can't speak for the others. I think that's okay, though. It looks like natural wolf-y coloring, and then someone would notice it in the gift shop or on the video board and be kind of a cool reference or in-joke among "real" fans (and logo nerds, of course).

19 hours ago, Go Red Sox! said:

By the way: Is the "W" (for Wolves) in the wolf's tail even too subtle, not prominent enough? Just asking because nobody has mentioned it yet.

That's genius. Didn't even notice.

Great rebrand all around, too. Absolutely gorgeous.

16 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Looks great so far, Go.

How would C look with white stars?

Didn't even notice the wolf-tail W.  

It's a cool little side-note, although I wouldn't change this design much to make it more noticeable...

It's pretty neat "as is".

Thanks a lot, sparky! Yeah, you're right. I leave the "W" in the tail like it is – gray.

Here is the "C" with four white stars:

Chicago Wolves secondary logo2.png

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

15 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

I feel like the wolf could be cleaned up a little. The eye seems like it's either too big or in the wrong place; and I feel like the shapes could be smoothed a little. I get that you're going for a rough/wild feel, but I think you could still get that while smoothing areas like the back. Lastly, the back end seems low; almost like a german shepherd.

cedf5457d91f079284d5a80eb2efbf5f.jpgfile_23188_german-shepherd-dog.jpg

Thanks for your comment, hettinger_rl!

The back end of my wolf is supposed to be that low because of the wolf's rather submissive posture howling to the moon, comparable with the posture of that german shepherd dog. Here are three pictures of gray wolves. They all got that low, slanting back end, more or less. Just add the posture of my wolf to some of them. I know that the back end part is a little exaggerated but that was my intention to create more flow and uniqueness.

gray wolf.png

gray wolf 2.png

gray wolf 3.png

2 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

I can confirm that I personally did not notice the W, but I can't speak for the others. I think that's okay, though. It looks like natural wolf-y coloring, and then someone would notice it in the gift shop or on the video board and be kind of a cool reference or in-joke among "real" fans (and logo nerds, of course).

I agree.

2 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

That's genius. Didn't even notice.

Great rebrand all around, too. Absolutely gorgeous.

Thank you, Zeus89725. Much appreciated.

17 minutes ago, Go Red Sox! said:

Thanks for your comment, hettinger_rl!

The back end of my wolf is supposed to be that low because of the wolf's rather submissive posture howling to the moon, comparable with the posture of that german shepherd dog. Here are three pictures of gray wolves. They all got that low, slanting back end, more or less. Just add the posture of my wolf to some of them. I know that the back end part is a little exaggerated but that was my intention to create more flow and uniqueness.

gray wolf.png

gray wolf 2.png

gray wolf 3.png

Thanks for clarifying.

I'd say the posture in the first image would work well. But in the second 2 the wolf's rear legs are lower than the front (notice in the last one you can't see the rear paws), which accounts for their hips being lower. If the wolf in your logo had it's front legs up on something then it would work in a similar way.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

2 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

Thanks for clarifying.

I'd say the posture in the first image would work well. But in the second 2 the wolf's rear legs are lower than the front (notice in the last one you can't see the rear paws), which accounts for their hips being lower. If the wolf in your logo had it's front legs up on something then it would work in a similar way.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that. Because my wolf's hind legs are both bend: his right hind leg is very close to the fore legs while his left hind leg is placed away from the fore legs. You could also see this posture as a snapshot shortly before he's sitting. That's why the low back end is inevitable.

The primary is awesome, it would make a great logo for a third jersey. My only issue is the colour scheme as I feel if the Wolves do a re-brand it needs to be from top to bottom. I suggest re colouring it using the city of Chicago flag. The blue and red would make it pop.

On 15.2.2017 at 10:23 PM, HockeyCynic said:

The primary is awesome, it would make a great logo for a third jersey. My only issue is the colour scheme as I feel if the Wolves do a re-brand it needs to be from top to bottom. I suggest re colouring it using the city of Chicago flag. The blue and red would make it pop.

Thank you, HockeyCynic!

In fact, I already rang the changes before posting this concept: giving the Wolves a Chicago flag color scheme of baby-blue, red, white and black. But I eventually didn't want to change their colors for two reasons: Firstly, because my previous rebrand project has the same colors (Lacrosse team from Toronto, the Toronto Rock) and secondly because I thought this would have been too much of a change at once (AHL team with the biggest attendance for many years).

But you're totally right about their current colors not popping at all. I like my concept but I dislike the coloration. So, here are the Wolves now with the Chicago flag colors. New colors are PAN 185 C (Red), PAN 297 C (Baby-Blue) and PAN 7545 C (a very cold, bluish gray).

BLUE%20AND%20RED%20Chicago%20Wolves%20lo

BLUE%20AND%20RED%20Chicago%20Wolves%20pr

BLUE%20AND%20RED%20Chicago%20Wolves%20se

BLUE%20AND%20RED%20Chicago%20Wolves%20al

BLUE%20AND%20RED%20Chicago%20Wolves%20al

BLUE%20AND%20RED%20Chicago%20Wolves%20wo

Archived