2017 MLB Season

Norva

I know it is a little too early in the season for this but, I actually can see the Twins doing some good things this year. Their staff (with the exception of gibson) has done surprisingly good,the offense is pretty solid and the usual stupid things that happen to the Twins aren't happening. I wonder why they couldn't do this last year?

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The exciting and fun thing about the Reds is I don't care about the results right now and eventually they will go through some struggles related to their starting pitching, but right now it's just fun to watch the young pitchers like Amir Garrett go out and do their thing, watch the pleasant surprise that is Scott Feldman, watch the young and cheap lineup knock balls all over the yard, watch Votto's ridiculous intelligence at the plate, watch Raisel Iglesias throw darts and be a reliable and not insane version of Aroldis Chapman, watch Billy Hamilton figure out how to hit and then use his speed on the base paths to stretch out an extra base, watch Billy hamilton catch balls he shouldn't etc etc. 

mostly just enjoying baseball for baseball and the Reds play a fun brand of baseball. Also glad the all time worst bullpen of all time ever was shipped out for guys who can get outs.

PvO6ZWJ.png

With the Blackhawks out, the Cubs did their best impression of them by playing a multi-overtime game that lasted until 1:15AM.  18 freakin' innings and the Cubs lost.  They should see about acquiring Andrew Shaw. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

With the Blackhawks out, the Cubs did their best impression of them by playing a multi-overtime game that lasted until 1:15AM.  18 freakin' innings and the Cubs lost.  They should see about acquiring Andrew Shaw. 

I turned it off when the Yankees were up 4-1 so when I read your post this morning my first thought was "Chapman must've blown the save". Looked up the boxscore and was not disappointed. 

Thank you, Cubs for adding an extra 9 innings to the Yankees bullpen before they show up in Cincinnati. 

The Reds are in first place. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I turned it off when the Yankees were up 4-1 so when I read your post this morning my first thought was "Chapman must've blown the save". Looked up the boxscore and was not disappointed. 

Thank you, Cubs for adding an extra 9 innings to the Yankees bullpen before they show up in Cincinnati. 

The Reds are in first place. 

Now, your boys need to go knock them around a bit.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 5/7/2017 at 9:23 AM, Rj0498 said:

I know it is a little too early in the season for this but, I actually can see the Twins doing some good things this year. Their staff (with the exception of gibson) has done surprisingly good,the offense is pretty solid and the usual stupid things that happen to the Twins aren't happening. I wonder why they couldn't do this last year?

The 103 losses last year was probably a bit of an aberration; as was the roughly .500 finish the year before.  This is still at least a 90-loss team, as maybe we started to see against an opponent like Boston.  Offensively, things may be moving in the right direction as Rosario and Kepler improve, though I am starting to give up on Buxton. Sano's becoming a really good power threat.  Pitching-wise, I don't know that there's a lot to be excited about but getting out from under Mauer's contract after the 2018 season could open some doors.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Morales now out.

This injury pile up actually makes the lost Jays season easier to digest.  Donaldson, Tulowitzki, Sanchez, Happ, Morales...

The more I see the injuries pile up; the clearer the writing on the wall is that Toronto is going to have some sort of a fire sale. I don't think it's going to be everybody; but they're going to trade off at least the players with expiring contracts to get something in return.

The team needs to lick its wounds; and rebuild.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

8 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

The more I see the injuries pile up; the clearer the writing on the wall is that Toronto is going to have some sort of a fire sale. I don't think it's going to be everybody; but they're going to trade off at least the players with expiring contracts to get something in return.

The team needs to lick its wounds; and rebuild.

The bright side is most of their core are veterans, i.e. less of a risk trading them away.  I know they'll not be getting many blue chippers in return, that's life.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Last year the Reds didn't record their 19th win until June 2 and that brought their record to 19-35. They'll have to lose their next 20 games to match that. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Am I the only one not completely sold on the Yankees yet? They're playing well, but I don't know if we're far enough in the season yet to really tell what we're getting as a whole this year. By the way ESPN and other writers talk about them, you'd think they'd already won the pennant. I don't think they're there yet; Houston handled them well, and both Boston and Baltimore may be at their heels all year in the division. If they get cold at the wrong time this year, they could be out of it entirely. Besides that, they're still quite young and we don't know how consistently they'll be able to hold this up yet.

Again, they're playing well now and I do think we aren't too far from them being fully competitive again for a stretch of years, but I'm not as in on the idea that they're totally back yet, nor as willing to almost hand them the division or even the pennant right now as others are.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

It's obviously way too early to be sold on the Yankees entirely, and I don't think the first 1/4 of the season being played should be enough to make people change their minds about who the AL East favorite(s) is when it's still a tight race. The only thing I'll say is that there are at least some encouraging signs on their progress, as well as that their run differential is far and away the best in the American League, which is a hard thing to fluke your way into doing. Also, it's not just the first 38 games of this season they're playing well in; go back to the second half of last season, and the Yankees have a 53-37 record in their last 90 games, which would translate roughly to 95 wins over a full season. That's post-deadline so they've been playing with largely the same roster in that same timespan. 

Their starting pitching is still awful, especially with Tanaka's lousy start to the season, so there's plenty of reason to be skeptical still. No team who's best performing pitcher is Michael Pineda should be expected to be the best team around. But they're probably a legitimate wild card contender, at worst, and probably not gonna finish under .500 this year, for everyone finally wanting to see that.

spacer.png

Archived