2017 MLB Season

Norva

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As impressive as Cleveland's 20 game win streak is, I'm not putting too much stock into it. 

The playoffs are a whole different beast, and even the hottest teams can fizzle out. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

Another year of watching my friends from Cleveland/Columbus based Indians fans be happy about baseball while I'm like "the Reds won world series 11 years before I was born". I'm so used to it it doesn't even affect me anymore. 

If Cleveland is still healthy next month they still have to be the favorites in October especially now that the Dodgers have forgotten how to play baseball and will have confidence issues. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Back when Taylor Swift was a country singer.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Cubs have a quality umpire calling balls and strikes today.

Pitch 5 was called Ball 3.

Pitch 6 was an RBI single.

DJygrA-VoAAl4T0.jpg:large

Lackey subsequently charged the mound and Contreras threw his mask.  Umpire threw out both guys.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Rhys Hoskins is 3 HR short of tying for the team lead.  He was called up on August 10th.  MFer has 18 HR in 34 games.  Every HR he hits sets some kind of record for "fastest to..." "first to hit x in y games", etc.

He is also patient AF and takes lots of walks and doesn't strike out. OBP of .442, OPS of 1.25.  While it's obvious that nobody can keep up that pace, there's no reason to think that the league simply hasn't seen him and "caught up" to him - his approach is too good for pitchers to out think him.

Could put up historic numbers with a full season in the middle of what is suddenly an extremely potent lineup.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It will be interesting now that there's an actual fight for the #1 AL Seed. Could have some major implications for the Divisional series as well, looking at the possible matchups. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

On 4/3/2017 at 8:10 AM, McCarthy said:

picks

MLB-Standings-Predictio-2017.png.ce4f12e64a7c9b7380a971d0f241bccb.png

So far so good on the Indians, Dodgers, and Nationals. Looking pretty good for the Red Sox and Cubs. So I have a good shot to be 5/6 on division winners. I should've known better than to expect anything from my "Perpetually 4.5 Back" Mariners. One of these years I'll be right about them. 

Way off on my picks below the division leaders, though. See: Twins, Brewers, Mets, Rockies, Giants, and Dbacks. I thought (hoped) the last 7 weeks from the Reds' young arms would show the whole season and their surprisingly decent lineup would be able scratch out a 75-80 win season, above five-hundo if everything went right. Unfortunately their youth and pitching injuries made it another teaching year. What's cool about next season is I have some optimism for a not completely miserable record for the first time since 2014, so that's fun to feel again. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Terrifying sight last night during that Yankees game. Sending prayers to that young child who was struck by a foul ball.

Yeah...kinda like the Columbus (right?) puck incident...the biggest surprise is that this does not happen more.  We'll see a lot more netting next season, I'd guess.  I hate being behind netting, but we're at the point where you'd have to be a monster to be against it at least dugout-to-dugout.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Reds are extending the netting to the other side of the dugout for next season* and it's long overdue. I've sat in those close-to-the-action, but exposed seats a couple times this year** and you do feel the risks when balls are flying right into the crowd. I played the game at the high school level and I pay close attention most of the time and I'm still weary. There's old people and kids seated around me with worse reflexes. 

And my god I did not think an issue like "protecting more fans with 50 extra feet of netting so kids don't get hit in the face with baseballs" was an issue that could have opposition or even be politicized, but I was wrong.

*the only reason they're waiting until next season I think is because they only have 3 more home games this year. 

**one benefit of a bad team is access to good cheap seats. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived