Colorado Avalanche Concepts

Point1

On 2/13/2017 at 1:42 AM, coltravesty said:

seems like NHL is pushing the third jersey logo of Colorado. It's on more product as the months pass. Is this thing being promoted to primary? Does anyone know the Colorado Avalanche jersey plans for next season? 

No but I would bet a lot of money that they will look exactly like this (not my concept BTW mods just a good prediction by Avi):

COLFULLx_zpseldzxazo.png

4 hours ago, Point1 said:

No but I would bet a lot of money that they will look exactly like this (not my concept BTW mods just a good prediction by Avi):

COLFULLx_zpseldzxazo.png

The concept is great but I am just so underwhelmed by the colors and logo. 

10 hours ago, Point1 said:

COLFULLx_zpseldzxazo.png

As someone who has been a fan of the Avs since their very first home game, this breaks my heart. Obviously nostalgia is a factor, but I would argue that the team's original logo and jerseys are contemporary classics by any measure. The "mountain stripes" were a unique and masterful reference to the front range that dominates the Denver skyline, and while the logo isn't as perfect as the jerseys, it still does an excellent job of evoking the Avalanche brand (the "mountain A", the subtle curving avalanche C, etc.).

I think we can all agree that Colorado's jerseys have been awful since the rollout of the edge jerseys, and I feel like the new logo is every bit as awful as the jerseys have been. Nothing about the new design says "Avalanche", instead I just see a naked attempt to cash in on Colorado pride. To be clear, I don't have a problem with teams looking to their state/province to expand the appeal of their brand...I think the Panthers did a phenomenal job in that respect. However, to abandon 20 years of history (and two Stanley Cups) for a design that literally apes the state flag without introducing any of the previous brand equity just makes my blood boil.

I know its ridiculous when folks on the boards make sweeping statements about no longer following a team because of branding decisions, but between their on ice performance and these rumored moves, I'm finding it very hard to be a Avs fan these days. At this point I feel like the best case scenario is for the team to languish for a few more years, get sold to local ownership that is passionate about the game, and have the inaugural look resurrected in time for a serious cup run. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but if the rumors are true this just seems like one more move by an organization that has clearly quit trying at every level.

There is a lot that can be done with COL's alt set to make some decent jerseys.  I feel like something like this (an edit of Avi's concept) could be an ok transitional set where you have some tie back to the originals.  Keeps burgundy the primary color at least, which makes the logo look better.

avsaltset.png

That being said i did like the concept posted a while ago from Justin Cox, which i also edited to traditional Avs colors.  This is pretty much the perfect set without just dragging out the originals.

avs.png

• Atomic locked this topic

Archived