RUGBY: Why is there no sevens league of independant teams?

hettinger_rl

After watching the speed and action of Rugby Sevens in the Olympics I was baffled to see that the only sevens league was World Rugby. The nation vs nation format is great, but why is there no independant/private/pro/semi-pro league of teams? I feel like it is a spectator friendly sport. It could be arranged as a "game per week" or "triangular per week" format. Maybe after it's been in the Olympics for a few cycles the idea will catch on.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

22 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

After watching the speed and action of Rugby Sevens in the Olympics I was baffled to see that the only sevens league was World Rugby. The nation vs nation format is great, but why is there no independant/private/por/semi-pro league of teams? I feel like it is a spectator friendly sport. It could be arranged as a "game per week" or "triangular per week" format. Maybe after it's been in the Olympics for a few cycles the idea will catch on.

1-It can't make money. It is hard to draw w/o the nationalism. 

2- There really isn't time for it in terms of the current global rugby calendar, as some of the better players are still in union or even league seasons.

Late February – Early August: Super Rugby
June: Inbound Internationals for Southern Hemisphere nations
Mid August – Early October: Rugby Championships
Mid August – Late October: NRC/ITM Cup

October – April: British and Irish Cup

November: Outbound Internationals for Southern Hemisphere nations
December – May: IRB Sevens World Series

3- As for the US, first  Mike Keller of USFL/XFL/A11FL fame now William Tatham now owns the rights to 7's leagues and broadcasting through 2024 in a contract with USA Rugby.  Keller generated press releases claiming to start a league under the title Grand Prix Rubgy for over a decade with it going nowhere. 

Archived