Let me start by saying that this is NOT intended to replace the grinning Goldy. Also, I KNOW that the school would not replace the current Goldy with this one.

After I did the Michigan Wolverine and Wisconsin Badger I thought I'd try to give a similar feel to the Minnesota Gophers. I used the 13 striped ground squirrel for reference; no it's not a gopher but judging by Goldy's tail it's what he is based off of and many people call the ground squirrel a gopher. I think it turned out to have a good balance of cute and fight. Comment with your thoughts.

Goldy1.pngGoldy2.png

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I really really like your work. You're on a roll with the Big 10 teams lately, and this is no exception. Great balance between fierce and cute. Looks amazing. The version on the left is my favorite because of the colors. The right side looks a little too bright but the left is absolutely perfect. 

spacer.png

Great work! The only suggestions I would make are:

1. Maybe enlarging the eyes a bit.. It's straddling the line between logo and illustration right now imo, and I think the slightly more cartoony nature of exaggerated features would help here with the eyes..

2. I'd consider simplifying and condensing the highlight detail on the top of the head a touch.. Partly because of the same basic idea outlined in #1 and partly for simplicity and reproduction purposes..

Otherwise, this is a fantastic rendering and fits in line with your other amazing work..

One question though: where you gonna sneak the state of Minnesota in this one?! Lol

35 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Great work! The only suggestions I would make are:

1. Maybe enlarging the eyes a bit.. It's straddling the line between logo and illustration right now imo, and I think the slightly more cartoony nature of exaggerated features would help here with the eyes..

2. I'd consider simplifying and condensing the highlight detail on the top of the head a touch.. Partly because of the same basic idea outlined in #1 and partly for simplicity and reproduction purposes..

Otherwise, this is a fantastic rendering and fits in line with your other amazing work..

One question though: where you gonna sneak the state of Minnesota in this one?! Lol

Here are a couple variants with a GIF to show the changes.

Original

Goldy1.pngGoldy.gif

V1                                                                                                  V2

Goldy1a.pngGoldy1b.png

I'm with bucknut42 on this your doing great things with the B1G teams. I'm kinda hoping I could see all 14 be done, maybe like a series with this front profile theme I find it extremely interesting ! As for this latest gopher I like both of these I guess I would have to side more with V2 I'm personally drawn to. Just curious are you thinking of hiding the shape of Minnesota on this guy like Michigan and Minnesota? 

54 minutes ago, cbundy9 said:

I'm with bucknut42 on this your doing great things with the B1G teams. I'm kinda hoping I could see all 14 be done, maybe like a series with this front profile theme I find it extremely interesting ! As for this latest gopher I like both of these I guess I would have to side more with V2 I'm personally drawn to. Just curious are you thinking of hiding the shape of Minnesota on this guy like Michigan and Minnesota? 

41 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

i like the bigger eyes, but i'd probably keep the tan highlights on the forehead.. i think maybe simplifying them a bit (perhaps slightly fewer, idk) might help.. otherwise, these are phenomenal.. i'm with cbundy9.. i'd love to see the entire conference!

I tried to get the state in there but there just weren't any areas that it worked and still weren't obvious. IDK about doing the whole conference (I don't even know what I'd call a series of these) but I have a couple more in mind. Here's my final on Goldy:

Goldy1c.png

Archived