USA WBC Jersey Redesign (Updated)

Roadrunner8ball

Hi guys,

Let's be honest here, the Team USA baseball jerseys aren't the prettiest in the world. I've never loved them, but never hated them. In my mind the US should have some of the best uniforms in the world, considering they produce some of the best names in baseball. With the 2017 WBC jerseys being released is the past few weeks (and me being beyond happy that baseball is back), I completely reimagined their jerseys. 

team usa baseball jerseys.png

I came up with this idea in class this week, and the first thing that started the whole design was redoing the wordmark. I took probably my favorite font and put USA in red, then added a white drop shadow and a blue below that one. That way it can seem like the script has some depth without making it look muddled and cluttered. I continued that onto the hat logo which is shown with a blue U on the style portion of the sheet, even though on the hats it is a little different (the 2nd drop shadow is red, the 1st is blue to blend in, and the U is white). The U and S interlock much like their current hats though I removed the star from the back and added some more tweaks. It also includes a blue brim and cap. The numbers also follow the same pattern as the front to create unity throughout the set. One of my favorite parts of the whole design, and very much an example of trying something crazy and having it look fantastic, is the sublimated stars in the wordmark, hat logo, and numbers on the back. This way the jerseys can be unique to the USA without having a flag inserted in everything, like some of the recent holiday hats the MLB has done. The away jersey is just a gray version of the home. Both have blue sleeve stripes, a blue stripe down the pant leg, a USA flag patch on the sleeve, and a WBC logo patch on the back. Also, in the style guide presentation I created, it has a blue practice shirt and coach's polo with the Alt logo, as well as a red fan t-shirt with a white and blue version of the USA script. C&C is greatly appreciated, and enjoy!

I think this is awesome. It's definitely a major improvement over the crap the US currently wears. I love the traditional baseball look. I don't really like the sublimated stars , but they don't break it for me. 

Might I suggest red and white striped stirrups with blue sanis to add some more pops of color?

In the words of Shel Silverstein, "Almost perfect... but not quite." I love the fresher look, much cleaner than the current ones. I like the lighter gray (could just be my monitor) than the D-Backs color they're using. It's a more traditional baseball look, and I'm a big fan of that, especially for our national team as the true home of baseball.

The not quite, though... I don't like the drop shadow, and I'm not a big fan of the stars on the script. I don't really know how to explain why not on the drop shadow., it just doesn't work for me. That might be just a personal thing, though. The stars, I zoomed out, and below the full sized image it just looks dirty, like the coloring is off. That's at 70% on my laptop screen a foot and a half away, imagine looking down from the upper deck at Dodgers Stadium.

Just my two cents.

IMO, the alternate logo is too vertical. I think the letters should be stretched a little more to give it a good ratio. Still a great job. I am a fan of the sublimated stars and I like the drop shadow on the white but not so much on the gray. Maybe try inverting the red and blue on the away uni's logo. Great start!

Thanks for the great comments. I definitely looked into all off your suggestions and have made quite a few updates including a brand new alt!

team usa baseball jerseys 2.0.png

- First for the alt, I know WBC teams never have an alt, but since, well, I wanted to create a set including an alt I figured why not. It draws inspiration from the Reds home jersey. It has a red base with the interlocking US on the left chest, with the number on the opposite side. It has the same striping on the sleeves as the home and away, and can be worn with both the home and away pants.

- I loved the suggestion by @8BW14 to implement the red and white into the stirrups and added a stripe of both to all 3 pairs of socks

- After reading @Big Yellow Flag's comment about the stars I went back and looked and it definitely looked like the coloring was off. It would make it seem really off if you were at say Petco Park in the upper deck. I didn't want to get rid of them completely but I did reduce the opacity by 10% to try and make it look like it is a solid color from far away, but when closer, you would be able to see the stars. 

- I also changed the button on the top of the hats to red to try and add some more color to the set. 

- I tried inverting the blue and red on the away like @TheLogoManiac13 suggested, but due to the gray being somewhat dark, it just looked kinda funky.

Hope you guys like the updates and keep the C&C coming!

23 hours ago, cjm3114jr said:

What about a red bill on the cap? I think it would add some pop while still being traditional and "Basic"

I actually did try it with a red bill way back when I started it, but it looked so much like the Dominican Republic cap (which is also blue with a red bill) that I decided against it in the end. Thanks for the suggestion though!

How about putting the Great Seal of the United States, at least in part, on one shoulder or the chest, instead of the US alternate mark, perhaps?  Or eagles on the sleeves, shoulders, or semi-subliminated eagle wings on the back?  Just wondering, that's all.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

Archived