Which Standardized Super Bowl Logo Is Better?

MTZehvor

So now that Super Bowl LII's logo has been revealed, we essentially have confirmation that the NFL has switched to a new version of standardized Super Bowl logos. From logos like these, to logos like these.

For the too lazy to look through links...

SuperBowlXLIXLogo.png             vs.                        Super_Bowl_LII_logo.png

So, which style do you prefer? The pre Super Bowl 50 that includes the stadium in the background? Or post Super Bowl 50 that alternates its secondary color with each year?

rsz_screen_shot_2017-02-13_at_32545_pm.png

i'll take the 50+ logos based on color alone. the Roman numerals always take me a few seconds to read it and the stadiums haven't really been rendered so iconic that they're an instant read either. so the type and shape isn't an instant communication of what this thing represents. just that splash of color makes the logo more memorable though and at least at this point i can associate gold with 50/San Fran, red with Houston/51, etc. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I like the new ones because I feel the font is stronger. The 45-49 logos had a very muted color scheme and rarely used the full logos with the stadiums. When they did use the full logos it did look nice but it was often so detailed it had a very limited amount of uses. It couldn't be used on the field for example and that is probably one of the most important ones. The new ones can be used every capacity possible.

51+ simply because of the addition of color for no reason. SB50 was NFL's love of all things gold for the 50th. But, this continual change proves the NFL's plan to 'standardize' the logo failed. They've redone it twice now.

The idea of using the local stadium was a joke. Most new stadiums are near indistinguishable to another. It's simply something to fill in the space around the trophy. Now, that we're done to just a few letters, they at least balanced the logo with everything worked around the trophy and removed the stadium. But, the addition of color and it's apparent they'll keep changing the color means that it's not standardized. Since now you have a particular color for individual games. It becomes noteworthy. And NOT standardized. Allowing variations (remember, the stadium logos were one of three logos along with the trophy-only versions) has discredited the idea it's standardized so that everyone can look right at it and see 'Super Bowl'.

If they wanted to emphasize the trophy, they could've done it in the pre-45 logos as well. Which is funny they still have produced individual logos as indicated in other threads. My SB49 lanyard I bought is quite obviously the 'marketable logo' with only two small near illegible silver/gray SB logos.

On 2/20/2017 at 1:32 PM, ImmortalChef said:

Am I the only one who noticed that this is tagged under "Things the Bills will never win"?

Nonchalantwhistling.exe

To add my own two cents, I prefer the post 50 design. It does suck that they lack any differentiating physical detailing, but an entirely chrome logo with no secondary coloring is just too much. Even the NBA Finals logo has some black and red thrown in with the gold trophy. The different colors in SB 51+ provide an element of differentiation from past logos while livening up the abundance of silver, so I'll take it.

rsz_screen_shot_2017-02-13_at_32545_pm.png

Archived