kimball

NBA head coaches as players ...

Recommended Posts

Interesting. I wanted to find out which current coach has played for the most NBA teams. It seems like Tyronn Lue is the champion with 7 teams (two stints with the Magic).

 

Lue.png

 

Then a close second is Earl Watson is with six (two stints with the Sonics/Thunder -- though should we count those as separate?) and Steve Kerr (with two stints in San Antonio)

 

watson.png

Kerr.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I forgot about the illustrious career of Scott Brooks. He too spent his career with six NBA teams as well ...

 

Brooks.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, prof said:

Derek Fisher

 

 Immagine correlata

 

 

Don't forget the #37 he wore with the Thunder during his tenure with the team ...

 

146494120_crop_north.jpg?1342016052&w=63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been a number of head coaches who have played for the same team. I got most after about 1969--ish (some before). The only one I couldn't find was a clear picture of Bob Cousy in a Royals' jersey.

 

Coach 2.png

Magic Johnson, John Lucas, Tyrone Corbin (Kings and Jazz), Byron Scott and Reggie Theus

 

Coach 3.png

Paul Westphal, Danny Ainge, Frank Johnson, Jeff Hornacek, Luke Walton and Kurt Rambis

 

Coach 1.png

Avery Johnson, Rudy Tomjanovich, Rick Adelman (Rockets, Blazers and Kings) and Sidney Lowe.

 

Coach 4.png

Mike Dunleavy, Jerry West, Doc Rivers, Chris Ford, Dave Cowens and Al Attles.

 

Coach 5.png

Lenny Wilkens (Sonics, Blazers and Cavs), Mo Cheeks and Bob Weiss (Braves/Clippers and Sonics).

 

Coach 6.png

Nate McMillan, K.C. Jones, Sam Mitchell, Dan Issel, Larry Brown and Doug Collins.

 

Coach 7.png

Darrell Walkers, Wes Unseld, Jacque Vaughn, Fred Hoiberg, Peye Myers and Bill Cartwright.

 

Coach 8.png

Mike Woodson, Michael Curry, Ray Scott, Mel Daniels and Scott Skiles (Bucks and Magic).

 

Coach 9.png

Jason Kidd, Larry Krystowiak, Fred Carter, Bill Cunningham and Kevin Loughery (Bullets and Sixers).

 

Coach 10.png

Dolph Schayes, Herb Williams, Pat Riley, Willis Reed, Tony Brown and M.L. Carr.

 

Coach 11.png

Tom Heinsohn, Satch Sanders and Bill Russell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, IceBurgs70 said:

Image result for george karl spurs      

 

George Karl

 

 

Image result for avery johnson spurs

 

Avery Johnson

 

 

Untitled.png

 

Monty Williams

 

 

Image result for vinny del negro spurs

 

Vinny Del Negro

 

 

Image result for terry porter spurs

 

Terry Porter

 

Huh, didn't know George Karl played. Only ABA?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

Wes Unseld was a head coach as well...

Unseld's afro is beautiful!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, kimball said:

There have been a number of head coaches who have played for the same team. I got most after about 1969--ish (some before). The only one I couldn't find was a clear picture of Bob Cousy in a Royals' jersey.

 

Coach 2.png

Magic Johnson, John Lucas, Tyrone Corbin (Kings and Jazz), Byron Scott and Reggie Theus

 

Coach 3.png

Paul Westphal, Danny Ainge, Frank Johnson, Jeff Hornacek, Luke Walton and Kurt Rambis

 

Coach 1.png

Avery Johnson, Rudy Tomjanovich, Rick Adelman (Rockets, Blazers and Kings) and Sidney Lowe.

 

Coach 4.png

Mike Dunleavy, Jerry West, Doc Rivers, Chris Ford, Dave Cowens and Al Attles.

 

Coach 5.png

Lenny Wilkens (Sonics, Blazers and Cavs), Mo Cheeks and Bob Weiss (Braves/Clippers and Sonics).

 

Coach 6.png

Nate McMillan, K.C. Jones, Sam Mitchell, Dan Issel, Larry Brown and Doug Collins.

 

Coach 7.png

Darrell Walkers, Wes Unseld, Jacque Vaughn, Fred Hoiberg, Peye Myers and Bill Cartwright.

 

Coach 8.png

Mike Woodson, Michael Curry, Ray Scott, Mel Daniels and Scott Skiles (Bucks and Magic).

 

Coach 9.png

Jason Kidd, Larry Krystowiak, Fred Carter, Bill Cunningham and Kevin Loughery (Bullets and Sixers).

 

Coach 10.png

Dolph Schayes, Herb Williams, Pat Riley, Willis Reed, Tony Brown and M.L. Carr.

 

Coach 11.png

Tom Heinsohn, Satch Sanders and Bill Russell.

 

Good work sir, good work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JerseyJosh said:

 

Good work sir, good work.

 

Thank you. It's called 'productive procrastination' while at a desk job. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JerseyJosh said:

 

Good work sir, good work.

I don't get some of them. What's a common team between Doc Rivers and Jerry West?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kimball said:

Coach 3.png

Paul Westphal, Danny Ainge, Frank Johnson, Jeff Hornacek, Luke Walton and Kurt Rambis

 

I didn't realize how often the Suns have done this. Quick, who's taking odds for Steve Nash to be named Suns head coach ahead of the 2019-2020 season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BShaw20 said:

I don't get some of them. What's a common team between Doc Rivers and Jerry West?

 

The whole thing is the player coached the team he's playing for in the picture, they're not connected in anyway, i think thats just how he grouped them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TornadoGTS said:

 

The whole thing is the player coached the team he's playing for in the picture, they're not connected in anyway, i think thats just how he grouped them.

 

Exactly. I just put six pictures per line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

 

I didn't realize how often the Suns have done this. Quick, who's taking odds for Steve Nash to be named Suns head coach ahead of the 2019-2020 season?

 

HA! My money would be on that.

 

I am now curious to see how many former Sun players are or have been head coaches? I wonder which team has the most? My money would probably be on the Lakers? Pat Riley, Magic Johnson, Byron Scott, Luke Walton, Michael Cooper, Derek Fisher, Jerry West, etc. etc., etc.

 

Man, now I need to know. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.