Top 5 Near Exclusive Mascots

hettinger_rl

This is hard to describe, but kept me up at night.....

What are your top 5 college mascots that are surprisingly not used by many other colleges or top tier pro teams. Exclude mascots that are unique for geographic reasons only. (example; Tennessee Volunteers; unique because Tenessee is the Volunteer State) and high schools beacurse they copy about everyone.

Maybe my list will clear it up too.

1. Texas Longhorns - Longhorn cattle are tied to Texas, but are a widspread breed.
  2. Florida Gators - Florida has a high population of alligators but they live all around the gulf.
  3. Wisconsin Badgers - It's a fierce animal that would work great as a pro mascot.
  4. Mchigan Wolverines - See above^
  5. Arkansas Razorbacks - See #3

I understand that tradition plays a big role in this, but think of how many mascots overlap in the NCAA or the top pro leagues.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Minnesota Golden Gophers

South Dakota State Jackrabbits

UCI Anteaters

UCSB Banana Slugs (kinda local)

Colorado Buffaloes

Murray State Racers

Pitt State Gorillas

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

56 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Minnesota Golden Gophers

South Dakota State Jackrabbits

UCI Anteaters

UCSB Banana Slugs (kinda local)

Colorado Buffaloes

Murray State Racers

Pitt State Gorillas

I know my description of what I'm thinking is hard to interpret. I'm thinking in terms of colleges that are big on the national scene. IDK maybe this whole topic is going to be too vague.

Gophers were named for the politicians in Minnesota... but the image would be unique.

Buffaloes as a name is unique... but the animal image as a mascot is widespread.

IMO Racers is another way of dividing mustang/bronco/colt/stallion

1 hour ago, hettinger_rl said:

I know my description of what I'm thinking is hard to interpret. I'm thinking in terms of colleges that are big on the national scene. IDK maybe this whole topic is going to be too vague.

Gophers were named for the politicians in Minnesota... but the image would be unique.

Buffaloes as a name is unique... but the animal image as a mascot is widespread.

IMO Racers is another way of dividing mustang/bronco/colt/stallion

Well...Michigan Wolverines and Wisconsin Badgers weren't really named for the animals either.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Maryland Terrapins . . . not that I'm biased or anything.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

2 minutes ago, selby56 said:

South Carolina Gamecocks, Indiana Hoosiers, Purdue Boilermakers, and Akron Zips come to mind immediately as far as D1 FBS programs go. 

Gamecocks were named after Thomas Sumter (nicknamed "The Fighting Gamecock"). Hoosiers has to do w/Indiana. 

I think I see what @hettinger_rl is trying to get at. If I'm not mistaking, he's asking what mascots are you surprised aren't used more often (rewording what he said I the original post) For me: 

Michigan Wolverines

Michigan State Spartans/USC Trojans

Ole Miss Rebels 

Oregon State Beavers

Washington State Cougars

1 minute ago, ~Bear said:

Gamecocks were named after Thomas Sumter (nicknamed "The Fighting Gamecock"). Hoosiers has to do w/Indiana. 

I think I see what @hettinger_rl is trying to get at. If I'm not mistaking, he's asking what mascots are you surprised aren't used more often (rewording what he said I the original post) For me: 

Michigan Wolverines

Ole Miss Rebels 

Oregon State Beavers

Washington State Cougars

In a sense yes. I was making my wildcat concept and thinking Northwestern, K-state, Arizona, Villinova, Kentucky...... huh wonder which mascots AREN'T used over and over.... but ones that WOULD be viable for other schools or pro teams to use (if they weren't SO typecast to their school).

1 hour ago, ~Bear said:

Michigan Wolverines

Ole Miss Rebels 

Oregon State Beavers

Washington State Cougars

I grew up in Sumter, South Carolina actually. My high school mascot was the Gamecocks, so I'm very aware of that history. The mascot does hold significance due to being a nod to the state's greatest war hero, but the original post also used Gators as an example and even referenced the gator population in the state. I figured Gamecocks was still appropriate for this thread. 

T1oYViW.png

22 minutes ago, selby56 said:

I grew up in Sumter, South Carolina actually. My high school mascot was the Gamecocks, so I'm very aware of that history. The mascot does hold significance due to being a nod to the state's greatest war hero, but the original post also used Gators as an example and even referenced the gator population in the state. I figured Gamecocks was still appropriate for this thread. 

That makes sense.  I was just thinking that it would only really work (historically) for SC schools. Gators could work for Florida but also Louisiana and other swampy areas. Sorry if it sounded like I was calling you out, just it was something I knew the history behind. 

On a side note, nice to see another South Carolinian. ^_^

3 hours ago, ~Bear said:

Michigan Wolverines

Ole Miss Rebels 

Oregon State Beavers

Washington State Cougars

Not sure if UNLV keeps this one unique.

And not Division 1, but Bemidji State and Minot State are also the Beavers

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

5 hours ago, ~Bear said:

That makes sense.  I was just thinking that it would only really work (historically) for SC schools. Gators could work for Florida but also Louisiana and other swampy areas. Sorry if it sounded like I was calling you out, just it was something I knew the history behind. 

On a side note, nice to see another South Carolinian. ^_^

No worries, I didn't think I was being called out. I would agree it makes most sense for South Carolina schools. But, it is an animal mascot still, and I'm kinda surprised more schools/minor league teams (minus Jacksonville State) haven't tried to pick up on the name. It is a popular name just because people can make jokes with it, you'd think a minor league team would scoop that up. 

And of course, seems there are few South Carolinians on here. 803! 

T1oYViW.png

Archived