Best NBA Throwback Jerseys

kimball

What are some of your favorite NBA throwbacks that your team or other teams have worn?

Here are mine. I didn't add one for every team.

Throwback1.pngThrowback2.pngThrowback3.pngThrowback4.pngThrowback5.png

Add yours ...

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

14 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

1978 San Diego Clippers 

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

I agree that Clippers' jersey is one of my favorites. But, when the team wore throwbacks back in 2004 or so ... they botched it by not centering the number.

843be2610716626f7e4d48bb60f9dbd1_crop_exact.jpg

It bugs me just as much as the Mavericks' green throwbacks. The number font they use is the block number they used from 1991-2001 with the fancy Dallas font from 1980-1990. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

HWC_Parsons throwback.jpeg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On an added note. The Chicago Bulls are guilty of this as well with the red cursive 'Chicago' jerseys ...

ORIGINAL: Not a good look with the number placement, but a look they wore for about decade.

the-chicago-bulls-used-their-third-pick-to-draft-michael-jordan-the-1984nbspnaismithnbspcollege.jpg

THROWBACK #1: They broke these out in 2004. Though not a true placement of the originals, but a much better look and something I'd love to see them adopt full time.

3109533.jpg

THROWBACK #2: Right placement of the number, but it's HUGE! It's almost like they used the font from the standard jerseys instead. Stupid.

derrick1.jpg

kimball banner.png

5 minutes ago, kimball said:

On an added note. The Chicago Bulls are guilty of this as well with the red cursive 'Chicago' jerseys ...

ORIGINAL: Not a good look with the number placement, but a look they wore for about decade.

the-chicago-bulls-used-their-third-pick-to-draft-michael-jordan-the-1984nbspnaismithnbspcollege.jpg

THROWBACK #1: They broke these out in 2004. Though not a true placement of the originals, but a much better look and something I'd love to see them adopt full time.

3109533.jpg

THROWBACK #2: Right placement of the number, but it's HUGE! It's almost like they used the font from the standard jerseys instead. Stupid.

derrick1.jpg

That Chicago script may have worked in the 80s, but I think it's too messy and unrefined to be used on a regular jersey today.  I actually agree with you that a cursive wordmark would look good on their road jerseys, but it needs to be more refined.  Maybe they could steal the beautiful White Sox wordmark.

be5d9801f9a835bd04125f053da4d2c8.gif

I've always wondered why most (all?) NBA teams seem to avoid cursive wordmarks.  Are there any NBA teams that currently sport a cursive wordmark on a primary jersey?  I can't think of any, but maybe there are some obvious ones I am forgetting.  I think Chicago is a city that looks great as a cursive wordmark, even on an NBA jersey.

50 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

That Chicago script may have worked in the 80s, but I think it's too messy and unrefined to be used on a regular jersey today.  I actually agree with you that a cursive wordmark would look good on their road jerseys, but it needs to be more refined.  Maybe they could steal the beautiful White Sox wordmark.

be5d9801f9a835bd04125f053da4d2c8.gif

I've always wondered why most (all?) NBA teams seem to avoid cursive wordmarks.  Are there any NBA teams that currently sport a cursive wordmark on a primary jersey?  I can't think of any, but maybe there are some obvious ones I am forgetting.  I think Chicago is a city that looks great as a cursive wordmark, even on an NBA jersey.

I agree. Plus, I don't think it'd be much of an issue either since the teams are both owned by Reinsdorf. 

And, I can't think of any current teams. The latest was the Clippers before their change in 2015. 

kimball banner.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

20170225_224718.jpg

Right. I was talking about primary looks not secondary or throwbacks. BUT ... with that said, on the top of my head, I think Sacramento and Denver (besides LAC) are the only NBA teams with cursive font jerseys worn in their uniform rotation in the past 10-15 years. Still, a small margin as pointed out by @SCalderwood.

kimball banner.png

7 hours ago, kimball said:

Right. I was talking about primary looks not secondary or throwbacks. BUT ... with that said, on the top of my head, I think Sacramento and Denver (besides LAC) are the only NBA teams with cursive font jerseys worn in their uniform rotation in the past 10-15 years. Still, a small margin as pointed out by @SCalderwood.

Here's another...

10AE3F73-6A6C-40C0-87EF-1602B66649F4-4416-000002EE8B00CA6C_tmp.png

Barring throwbacks and holiday jerseys these were most of the cursive scripted jerseys I am aware of in NBA history since about 1960-ish ...

cursive-1.pngcursive-2.pngcursive-3.pngcursive-4.pngcursive-5.png

kimball banner.png

On 2/25/2017 at 6:25 PM, kimball said:

I agree that Clippers' jersey is one of my favorites. But, when the team wore throwbacks back in 2004 or so ... they botched it by not centering the number.

843be2610716626f7e4d48bb60f9dbd1_crop_exact.jpg

It bugs me just as much as the Mavericks' green throwbacks. The number font they use is the block number they used from 1991-2001 with the fancy Dallas font from 1980-1990. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Ironically, my Clippers throwback (a Quentin Richardson) DOES have the number in the correct location

IMG_3059.JPG

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 26.02.2017 at 3:25 AM, kimball said:

This is not the first time when Adidas screw up a retro jersey. This is Lakers retro with wrong numbers and wordmark should be more rotated:

Kobe_1971-72_uniforms__Jeff_Gross_-_Gett

Kings (right side shouldn't has white stripes, but black):21aec3b4ff6f5d24e92f5bd38824fa7a.jpg

Bucks, wrong collar (v-neck instead of round, which is funny, because swingman has correct one):

zzkvvowdl1jbqu4ojiqz.jpg

Pacers Flo-Jo swingmans has block names (like in 1990 early version) instead of serif and wrong numbers:

B9CYV9JCcAIbLp0.jpg

4r2eer.png

57 minutes ago, San Diego said:

john-stockton-010.jpg22009f_lg.jpeg

So 90s I love it even though it's quite an atrocious collection of things. Copper was a welcomed touch. But gradient on road (so 90s) was actually nice. Why they didn't do it on the home whites to match the mountain to their shorts, who knows? 

The home whites look so tame compared to all the busy going on in the road set. 

The more I look at these uniforms, the more I realized that it is just such a clutter, especially for the font up against the mountains. 

Go A's!

Archived