Records that will NEVER be broken

jrodsep

Here in the era of big goalie pads and neutral-zone traps, there's one NHL record that won't be broken for a while: Darryl Sittler's ten points (6G, 4A) in one game.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
had the Nomar trade gone through, mencavicha;lkja;flkdja;f might have played for 2. They were playing each other. Now, could he have entered the red sox lineup midway through the game after playing for the opposing team? I wonder...cause if you're traded away, you can't play, but what if your traded to?

perplexing...but I'm sure someone knows for sure...

I ment to say...the trade gone through a day earlier or later in the day (which would be impossible I guess)

pc

It will be hard for somebody to bite two ears off of an opponent in a heavyweight fight. Mike Tyson's record is probably safe for now.

But if somebody did do it, chomping three ears off of an opponent would really be tough.

Cricket

Brian Lara, of the West Indies,who had a 13 HOUR inning and scored over 400 runs against England back in April.

Now that is dominance.

...13 hour innings?

...400 runs?

I'm gonna watch cricket more often now

I am going to the 20 20 cricket final on saturday, semi finals and final on the same day. I reckon to be able to see maybe 1000 runs in 12 hours!!!!!!

P'ah baseball!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Cricket

Brian Lara, of the West Indies,who had a 13 HOUR inning and scored over 400 runs against England back in April.

Now that is dominance.

...13 hour innings?

...400 runs?

I am going to the 20 20 cricket final on saturday, semi finals and final on the same day. I reckon to be able to see maybe 1000 runs in 12 hours!!!!!!

P'ah baseball!!!

Do they yell.....

...GGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL

after everyone?

Tonite Mike Matheny's 252 game errorless streak at catcher was snapped (on a questionable ruling IMO...I think it could have been called on Renteria easily). That may be a less noted one that lasts a while.

*EDIT* This may have been the 252nd game, so maybe the steak is 251...I'm not sure.

Also, I watched Tatis hit his 2 grand slams live (on TV), and that was fun.

Cricket

Now that is dominance.

...13 hour innings?

...400 runs?

P'ah baseball!!!

Do they yell.....

...GGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLL

after everyone?

hey this is cricket, they applaud politely!!!!!

Oh I forgot to mention, before the final there is a pop concert with two British bands entertaining the fans- Liberty SX and some woman called Natasha Benningfield or something?? About this time a blue eyed, greying guy will be standing by the bar, enjoying the taste of warm beer!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

3 years ago I would have said Collingwood's record of four AFL premierships in a row, considering these are the days of level playing fields, salary caps and drafts. But now, I think it's pretty much a certainty to be tied, maybe even broken. :D

Sir Donald Bradman's batting average is definitely one that will never be broken. To play an entire career with an average of 100 runs is phenomonal.

Sir Donald Bradman's batting average is definitely one that will never be broken. To play an entire career with an average of 100 runs is phenomonal.

Thats very true, particularly when the next best is 61! Although saying never is a dangerous thing, that record is so far and beyond what anyone else has ever achieved.

Dixie Deans reocrd of 60 goals in a premiership/ first division season is way out ahead of what anyone else has achieved as well. I have a feeling Michael Schumachers record for F1 career wins is going to take a while to get close to as well.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think the records that stand the best chance of remaining in tact are those whereby the changing of the way the game is played, ensures their safety. Like someone mentioned 500+ wins for a starting pitcher won't happen (unless guys pitch into their 50's someday) because pitching has changed and the setup men, middle relievers and closers take all those wins out of the equation.

Some are likely to fall for the same reason. Football will likely get a longer schedule someday and perhaps 1500 yds will be the standard and 2000 will fall frequently and someone will catch Emmitt pretty fast that way.

Otherwise, records are made to be broken and probably all will be. Marino's looked untouchable and now it appears as though if Favre plays at a consistent pace, he would break some of them as soon as 2006. (presuming he could stay healthy and productive three more years) Someone did a formula, showing that had Paul Molitor not missed over 3 full seasons on the DL, at his lifetime batting average he would have caught Pete Rose for hits. It's all circumstance and eventually, if we live long enough, someone will catch those records. Rice was good, but he was luckier too. He never sustained a serious injury until like his 12th year and he was well on his way to untouchable numbers by that point.

How's this for a weird one to break though... Two men in NFL history have recorded a safety twice in the same season against the SAME quarterback. When can you see that happening again? One was Tim Harris against "Whiskey" Wade Wilson and the other also involved the Packers as TV's "Hunter" Fred Dryer of the LA Rams sacked Bart Starr for safeties twice. May have even been the same game. I forget. Yikes.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I think the records that stand the best chance of remaining in tact are those whereby the changing of the way the game is played, ensures their safety. Like someone mentioned 500+ wins for a starting pitcher won't happen (unless guys pitch into their 50's someday) because pitching has changed and the setup men, middle relievers and closers take all those wins out of the equation.

Some are likely to fall for the same reason. Football will likely get a longer schedule someday and perhaps 1500 yds will be the standard and 2000 will fall frequently and someone will catch Emmitt pretty fast that way.

Otherwise, records are made to be broken and probably all will be. Marino's looked untouchable and now it appears as though if Favre plays at a consistent pace, he would break some of them as soon as 2006. (presuming he could stay healthy and productive three more years) Someone did a formula, showing that had Paul Molitor not missed over 3 full seasons on the DL, at his lifetime batting average he would have caught Pete Rose for hits. It's all circumstance and eventually, if we live long enough, someone will catch those records. Rice was good, but he was luckier too. He never sustained a serious injury until like his 12th year and he was well on his way to untouchable numbers by that point.

How's this for a weird one to break though... Two men in NFL history have recorded a safety twice in the same season against the SAME quarterback. When can you see that happening again? One was Tim Harris against "Whiskey" Wade Wilson and the other also involved the Packers as TV's "Hunter" Fred Dryer of the LA Rams sacked Bart Starr for safeties twice. May have even been the same game. I forget. Yikes.

Yeah, injuries probably create the biggest problems....Lemieux actually had more points per game then Gretzky, and Orr didn't have too many chances to break records becasue of his knees.

In 1973, for Fred Dryer to safety sack Bart Starr twice in the same game is truly remarkable, especially when that QB had retired two years earlier.

Probably will never be broken.

Huh. Maybe it was that other TV guy.......the florist commercial dude. Or another quarterback.

My bad. It's one of those Lee Remmel factoids that I remember from when I was younger but clearly with some holes in it.

EDIT** AHA! Little digging finds that is was Fred Dryer, it was 1973 (good call) but it mustve been either Del Gaizo, Scott Hunter, or Jerry Taggee getting sacked. I'm pretty much ready to work for the New York Times at this rate huh?

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

In 1973, for Fred Dryer to safety sack Bart Starr twice in the same game is truly remarkable, especially when that QB had retired two years earlier.

Probably will never be broken.

Huh. Maybe it was that other TV guy.......the florist commercial dude. Or another quarterback.

My bad. It's one of those Lee Remmel factoids that I remember from when I was younger but clearly with some holes in it.

EDIT** AHA! Little digging finds that is was Fred Dryer, it was 1973 (good call) but it mustve been either Del Gaizo, Scott Hunter, or Jerry Taggee getting sacked. I'm pretty much ready to work for the New York Times at this rate huh?

Nice call on Lee Remmel.

He was a family friend and I grew reading his stuff in the Green Bay Press Gazette. One of the first writers to get me hooked on sports as a kid. He's now the Team Historian for the Packers.

I think the records that stand the best chance of remaining in tact are those whereby the changing of the way the game is played, ensures their safety.  Like someone mentioned 500+ wins for a starting pitcher won't happen (unless guys pitch into their 50's someday) because pitching has changed and the setup men, middle relievers and closers take all those wins out of the equation.

Some are likely to fall for the same reason.  Football will likely get a longer schedule someday and perhaps 1500 yds will be the standard and 2000 will fall frequently and someone will catch Emmitt pretty fast that way.

Otherwise, records are made to be broken and probably all will be.  Marino's looked untouchable and now it appears as though if Favre plays at a consistent pace, he would break some of them as soon as 2006.  (presuming he could stay healthy and productive three more years)  Someone did a formula, showing that had Paul Molitor not missed over 3 full seasons on the DL, at his lifetime batting average he would have caught Pete Rose for hits.  It's all circumstance and eventually, if we live long enough, someone will catch those records.  Rice was good, but he was luckier too.  He never sustained a serious injury until like his 12th year and he was well on his way to untouchable numbers by that point.

How's this for a weird one to break though...  Two men in NFL history have recorded a safety twice in the same season against the SAME quarterback.  When can you see that happening again?  One was Tim Harris against "Whiskey" Wade Wilson and the other also involved the Packers as TV's "Hunter" Fred Dryer of the LA Rams sacked Bart Starr for safeties twice.  May have even been the same game.  I forget.  Yikes.

Yeah, injuries probably create the biggest problems....Lemieux actually had more points per game then Gretzky, and Orr didn't have too many chances to break records becasue of his knees.

That is absolutely correct, I think people for get about that! He was the only player in NHL history to have a PPG average greater than 2.0. Although, he has since fck'd that up. :(

Archived