Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

On 5/26/2017 at 10:59 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

My favorite thing about this isn't the uniforms, but the completely out-of-place Avia ad in the top right corner.

I mean, what NBA player have you ever seen wear Avias?

Clyde Drexler was their star, after he quit wearing Roos. There was an Avia branded Drexler fanclub (I was a member) and I still have some Avia branded Drexler promo material I picked up when my dad worked for the company.

IMG_9765.JPG

• Like 3

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

14 hours ago, MkDon said:

It seems someone in TNT knew in 1999, the Raptors would ditch the purple for the red in the future.

PukXkfD.png

Link: 

Clicking on that video was worth it just for Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.  Totally 1999, and yeah, I liked BBVD.

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm pretty sure this was a preseason game ... but, talk about a horrible color vs. color matchup. 

57336427.jpg

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I find this odd in the sense of seeing Terry Cummings in #34 on the 76ers. Even if Barkley wasn't retired yet, but it's odd seeing another Sixer in #34 number post Barkley's Sixer tenure.

51643643.jpg

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• 2 weeks later...

-7436902919076032823.jpg

Marvelous had a trading card too...and a thicker toupee LOL

3458929122552029634.jpg

A pre-NBC, way pre-ESPN Hannah Storm...

lawler-basketball-card-111011_-_Copy.jpg

Ralph Lawler, legendary voice of the Clippers...still going, and it currently third-longest tenure NBA team announcer behind Al McCoy (Suns) and George Blaha (Pistons)

3 hours ago, MadmanLA said:

-7436902919076032823.jpg

Marvelous had a trading card too...and a thicker toupee LOL

3458929122552029634.jpg

A pre-NBC, way pre-ESPN Hannah Storm...

lawler-basketball-card-111011_-_Copy.jpg

Ralph Lawler, legendary voice of the Clippers...still going, and it currently third-longest tenure NBA team announcer behind Al McCoy (Suns) and George Blaha (Pistons)

I never even knew these existed! And I had an almost complete set of those years NBA Hoops trading cards!

On 5/29/2017 at 7:52 PM, BShaw20 said:

I didn't know they made these

cards back then

IMG_8299.JPG

IMG_8300.JPG

IMG_8302.JPG

IMG_8304.JPG

Seems a bit weird to me seeing Craig Sager in a normal suit. RIP

On 3/18/2017 at 7:21 AM, BShaw20 said:

Yep, I love those MacGregor jerseys but the logo is heavy on the front and it sort of sagged as the game went on

Of note about the Orlando Magic jerseys from the first season, they were made from a nylon/cotton blend, a Durene jersey if you will.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1988-10-22/news/0070450219_1_magic-uniforms-minear - According to this article from the Orlando Sentinel in 1988, a year before the team began play, the reason for using that material was that the pinstripes on the uniform set couldn't be reproduced on the standard nylon mesh fabric. Macgregor/Sand Knit went under towards the end of the Magic's first season, and I have seen on the internet some of those Durene jerseys replaced with Champion tagging (for their second season); those were presumably leftovers from the previous season.

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png