Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

13 hours ago, eastfirst107 said:

Veterans' Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix was another smaller, older venue used through the early 90s.

The American flag tacked onto the wall horizontally above the scoreboard, rather than hanging vertically from a beam as is customary today, is interesting.

Portland Trail Blazers v Phoenix Suns

What is so interesting about that place is the roof looks like an office building. I've never seen an arena look like that.

Supposedly the Suns and Mercury wanted to play the rest of 2020 there after the Covid lockdowns but both leagues switched to the Bubble instead.

bSLCtu2.png

On 12/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, eastfirst107 said:

Veterans' Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix was another smaller, older venue used through the early 90s.

The American flag tacked onto the wall horizontally above the scoreboard, rather than hanging vertically from a beam as is customary today, is interesting.

Well and one thing that goes unnoticed is that the tiles are curved! Which makes sense because of the exterior design. It's just hard to notice it in pictures.

img569-M.jpg Arizona-Veterans-Memorial-Coliseum-1024x

• Like 3
  • Love 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Remember when the Grizzlies decided to focus on red in the final year they used teal?   Also if you notice in the rafters, they have banners of the then-new Nuggets, Cavs and Rockets logos at the time, even though said banners would be gone the next year since the team moved to the FedExForum. They even got a Bobcats banner up there even though they didn't even play until the next season.

EzmOOFtVoAEKJ2O?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 6

bSLCtu2.png

On 3/2/2017 at 6:46 PM, ImmortalChef said:

The Bulls pose for a team photo with the Champion logo covered, most likely for copyright reasons

1390485.jpg

Looking at the players on the team, I don't think Champion was on the jerseys that year. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Looking at the players on the team, I don't think Champion was on the jerseys that year. 

The black strap is the Bulls paying tribute to Sherri Berto, who passed away during the 1991-92 season.

Plus manufacturer logos on authentic NBA jerseys have never been a thing until Nike fully took over in 2017. If Champion were to put their logo, they'd put under the NBA logo like this.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TheRealPepman said:

The black strap is the Bulls paying tribute to Sherri Berto, who passed away during the 1991-92 season.

Plus manufacturer logos on authentic NBA jerseys have never been a thing until Nike fully took over in 2017. If Champion were to put their logo, they'd put under the NBA logo like this.

I think the only time it would have been on game day uniforms was All Star games

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 12/5/2022 at 10:24 AM, MJWalker45 said:

I think the only time it would have been on game day uniforms was All Star games

And, even then that didn't come until a couple decades later.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 12/1/2022 at 10:05 PM, Old School Fool said:

What is so interesting about that place is the roof looks like an office building. I've never seen an arena look like that.

I was thinking the same thing. Just wild. And to think, from the perspective of the TV viewer, these older small arenas don't look all that different from their larger, modern counterparts. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Two new ones of New Orleans Jazz road games; one b/w and one in color:denver-nuggets-v-new-orleans-jazz-1-12-7

Piston Pete Maravich,  asst.  coach Bill Bertka, and coach Elgin Baylor  at McNichols Arena before a game against the Denver Nuggets, Jan. 12, 1977.   Bell bottoms, baby!

spacer.png

Capital Center in Landover, MD; 1978 game against  the Washington Bullets.  Coach Elgin Baylor with the 'fro and Gail Goodrich with a perm.  So late '70s...

• Like 2

It is what it is.

On 12/5/2022 at 6:43 AM, MJWalker45 said:

Champion was the official outfitter for the entire league that season, but it definitely was to pay tribute to a player or coach who passed away.  Bulls were always a Nike team after Champion lost their exclusive deal, except when Reebok (and later Adidas when they acquired Reebok) landed the league-wide deal.

Here's a fun one. Joe C. Meriweather of the New Orleans Jazz with his name under the number, something the Jazz never did as a team. I am assuming because of the length of his last name?

52813959900_2d00e509e8_w.jpg

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

On 4/13/2023 at 4:32 AM, kimball said:

Here's a fun one. Joe C. Meriweather of the New Orleans Jazz with his name under the number, something the Jazz never did as a team. I am assuming because of the length of his last name?

52813959900_2d00e509e8_w.jpg

Must have been a temporary thing - the Jazz had standard NoBs but it looks like Joe C's surname was too long.

It fits ok in this picture, although the number is a little low as a result:

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 4/15/2023 at 10:57 AM, Discogod said:

Must have been a temporary thing - the Jazz had standard NoBs but it looks like Joe C's surname was too long.

It fits ok in this picture, although the number is a little low as a result:

spacer.png

Yeah, I saw that one too. I'd love to know the exact dates of the two pictures because they're two different numbers, but in Landover against the Bullets. I wonder if it was the same game? It'd be fun to dig a little.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

19 hours ago, kimball said:

Yeah, I saw that one too. I'd love to know the exact dates of the two pictures because they're two different numbers, but in Landover against the Bullets. I wonder if it was the same game? It'd be fun to dig a little.

Meriwether wore #31 for his first season with the Jazz, 1977-78, then wore #50 for the start of the 1978-79 season (he was traded to the Knicks after 36 games). The only game he played in Washington as a member of the Jazz  that season was the opening game of the season, 13th October 1978.

• Like 2

Whilst looking for old Jazz pics, I came across this:

spacer.png

That's Slick Watts during the 1977-78 season, wearing a road jersey from the Jazz's inaugural season. This was from a game at Portland - I suspect it's the game on 8th January 1978, Slick's first road game with the team. I'm assuming that there wasn't time to get a current jersey lettered and numbered. Slick wore #14 for his first couple of weeks with the Jazz before switching to #00.

• Like 3

On 12/1/2022 at 9:00 AM, eastfirst107 said:

This was the 1991-92 season which was the last year for the Suns at the Memorial Coliseum and final season in the original Suns look while Portland updated their set for the 1991-92 campaign.

15 hours ago, ThunderCeltic said:

This was the 1991-92 season which was the last year for the Suns at the Memorial Coliseum and final season in the original Suns look while Portland updated their set for the 1991-92 campaign.

Specifically Game 4 of the Western Conference Semis played on May 11th 1992, a 153-151 Blazers win in double-OT - the final* home game for that uni set.

*It was also used in the 1992-93 preseason, leading to a few confusing pics of Barkley in the Western-style unis.

• 4 months later...
On 4/23/2023 at 11:30 AM, Discogod said:

Specifically Game 4 of the Western Conference Semis played on May 11th 1992, a 153-151 Blazers win in double-OT - the final* home game for that uni set.

*It was also used in the 1992-93 preseason, leading to a few confusing pics of Barkley in the Western-style unis.

Yup, I still remember seeing this magazine at my Dentists office during the 1992-93 season.

spacer.png