Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

Rare jersey/arena matchups:

Only time those Cavs and Grizzlies jerseys matched up in 2003-04 as well as LeBron's only game at the Pyramid

Cavaliers v Grizzlies : News Photo

Ditto for D-Wade that year- and this matchup is double rare because it was Miami's alternate red uni (In 2002 and 2003, Miami visited the Pyramid in their normal road unis)

Heat v Grizzlies : News Photo

Also the only time the Cuban Mavs and Hornets 1.0 played in those unis at each other's arenas (1st and last year for AAC/Charlotte Coliseum, respectively)

nov-2001-forward-juwan-howard-of-the-dallas-mavericks-drives-to-the-picture-id509883?s=170x17jamal-mashburn-of-the-charlotte-hornets-shoots-over-the-dallas-nba-picture-id536873?s=170x17

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BShaw20 said:

When did the Sonics wear this retro?

image.jpeg

22 December, 1993. They played the Bullets, with both teams wearing throwbacks.

The NBA claims that the first teams to wear throwbacks were for the 50th anniversary season in 1996-97, but there were numerous games going back to 1992 where teams wore them. I've got loads more pictures from these games (I think there was actually a thread about them here a while back), I'll get them posted later.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Discogod said:

22 December, 1993. They played the Bullets, with both teams wearing throwbacks.

The NBA claims that the first teams to wear throwbacks were for the 50th anniversary season in 1996-97, but there were numerous games going back to 1992 where teams wore them. I've got loads more pictures from these games (I think there was actually a thread about them here a while back), I'll get them posted later.

It seems like other sports leagues picked up on the idea of throwbacks once the Chicago White Sox did it for the first time ever in 1990. So if we're mapping this out, the MLB started throwbacks in 1990, NBA in 1992, and the NFL in 1994. I'm not totally sure about the NHL but I know it happened in the 90's.

Also in that Sonics pic, the Champion logo is on the shorts. There was talk in this thread about how it never appeared on uniforms, but there it is!

bSLCtu2.png

42 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Also in that Sonics pic, the Champion logo is on the shorts. There was talk in this thread about how it never appeared on uniforms, but there it is!

Those aren't shorts, they're the warm-up pants.

• Like 1

Pre-1996 NBA throwback games:

27 November 1992, Timberwolves at Bullets:

28316428361_1187a834ef_c.jpg

13 January 1993, Warriors at 76ers - both teams wore 1966-67 unis (couldn't find a pic, but there's a clip in the 1993 NBA Jam Session video, where I first saw it)

2 December 1993, Supersonics at Bullets:

28112502060_1ecd268a80_o.jpg

28290918952_ca09d12c9d_o.jpg

2 January 1994, 76ers at Nuggets:

28112502150_bfce7e3e83_o.jpg

22 April 1994, Bullets at Cavaliers - both teams wore 1975-76 throwbacks (again, no pic. I got this info from former Cavs GM Wayne Embry's autobiography)

31 March 1995, Nuggets at Pacers:

28112502350_985e88af91_o.jpg

28112502200_194d8a8925_o.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, IceBurgs70 said:

NBA Photos - 1960s - 1980s (1)

They had that scoreboard at the L.A. Sports Arena at least through the mid-80s, not too long after the Clippers moved in.  They replaced it with a pretty standard dot-matrix non-video scoreboard which they used through its closing, and added video boards on the north and south ends of the arena by 1997 (and by then LASA's days were numbered as an useful NBA venue, as Staples Center was still in planning stages and the Clips wanted a new arena)

There was one picture I saw in a magazine over 20 years ago of the blue/orange Price/Daugherty era blue and orange Cavs jerseys against the green and gold Sonics arch jerseys (it was color on color). My guess is this was a preseason game from 1993 or 1994.

3 hours ago, Discogod said:

27 November 1992, Timberwolves at Bullets:

I remember that someone was selling this Bullets jerseys at ebay as a prototype of their new uniforms, here is a pic (It supposed to be a fake, but he also got Harvey Grant jersey):

pE2sz64.jpg

4r2eer.png

4 hours ago, Discogod said:

The thing I love most about this throwback game was that it was played in Baltimore in Baltimore Bullets. 

• Like 3

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I love wide-angled shots of old arenas. 

The MECCA in Milwaukee

81985358.jpg

Madison Square Garden III; New York City

451090969.jpg

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Interesting piece on the Baltimore Bullets' 1968-69 home orange jersey. I didn't know that their orange jersey was designated as the home jersey. Makes sense with all of the color vs. color photos I've seen featuring the Bullets.  

I had this picture (that they shared too) in my archives of a color vs. color against the Knicks. This features Walt Frazier as well ... whom, I believe never wore this jersey in the regular season? I can't confirm that 100%. But, I am assuming this might be the preseason?

32333310654_620013b4aa_b.jpg

NOTE: Check out those socks on Unseld! WOW! 

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

I'm pretty sure the Knicks changed their home unis to the classic version the year before they changed the road unis. That kind of thing was fairly common back then, right up to the early 80s.

I actually thought it was common knowledge that the Bullets wore orange at home. For a long time (pre-internet) I thought they only had 1 uniform set that they used both at home and on the road, because they were wearing the orange unis in every picture I saw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Discogod said:

I'm pretty sure the Knicks changed their home unis to the classic version the year before they changed the road unis. That kind of thing was fairly common back then, right up to the early 80s.

I actually thought it was common knowledge that the Bullets wore orange at home. For a long time (pre-internet) I thought they only had 1 uniform set that they used both at home and on the road, because they were wearing the orange unis in every picture I saw.

I guess I just never put the two together? I just kind of assumed it might have been a case of the plethora of double headers the NBA played in the 60s and early 70s so they brought one set with them?

kimball banner.png