Rare NBA Getty Images, Google & Internet Find

29 minutes ago, kimball said:

Okay, I am trying to confirm with an era apprioriate photo -- still looking. But, this looks like Richmond Coliseum based off what I found online from a current picture. Sure, it's gone under a number of renovations, but you'll notice supporting beams. It looks like the panels were replaced and some seating added.

Arena-Racing-Track-at-Richmond-Coliseum.jpg

I stand corrected in that it's not the Salt Palace...however, Moses actually made his ABA debut against the Nets at Nassau Coliseum; the following night (October 19, 1975), the Stars played the Squires in Hampton. 

Both Hampton and Richmond Coliseums have somewhat similar interiors, and both were built and opened around the same time (1970)

Here's the interior of Hampton Coliseum

hamptoncoliseum.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

if i remember correctly (need to find a photo), the 1925 MSG, you had to step up onto the basketball court:

also here is two for you nostalgia fans:

Look how close the bench is to the baseline. In fact I'm sure some feet are in fair play?! WOW! 

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

4 hours ago, MadmanLA said:

I stand corrected in that it's not the Salt Palace...however, Moses actually made his ABA debut against the Nets at Nassau Coliseum; the following night (October 19, 1975), the Stars played the Squires in Hampton. 

Both Hampton and Richmond Coliseums have somewhat similar interiors, and both were built and opened around the same time (1970)

Here's the interior of Hampton Coliseum

hamptoncoliseum.jpg

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The caption on Getty Images stated first professional game as a PRESEASON game. It very well looks like Hampton Coliseum, but I am trying to find a preseason schedule to back the caption -- which is kind of hard for ABA history. You'll find either the regular season or NBA/ABA exhibition schedules.

• Like 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Okay, riddle me this ... are these Denver jerseys blue, olive green or black? I can't tell? I'm wanting to say dark blue?

476623360.jpg

kimball banner.png

These aren't particularly "rare" pictures, but if anyone isn't familiar with the ABA, check out the saga of the Baltimore Claws, as told by Remember the ABA. These are the only two known photographs of a Baltimore Claws game - the Claws (essentially a relocation of the Memphis Sounds) only played three exhibition games in 1976 before folding.

McGinnisShotDanielsCarter.jpg  98822244.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5BA6A9C272C2E64D376CE0C57E172E510E2BAD953215FC87F

Check out how the sewn-on "Claws" nameplate doesn't quite match the rest of the jersey (sweat?). It's not like the team was made up of scrubs either - #9 on the Claws in both pictures is HOFer Mel Daniels! Someone, somewhere, has more pictures. I think they'd be fun to see.

• Like 5

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

2 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

These aren't particularly "rare" pictures, but if anyone isn't familiar with the ABA, check out the saga of the Baltimore Claws, as told by Remember the ABA. These are the only two known photographs of a Baltimore Claws game - the Claws (essentially a relocation of the Memphis Sounds) only played three exhibition games in 1976 before folding.

McGinnisShotDanielsCarter.jpg  98822244.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5BA6A9C272C2E64D376CE0C57E172E510E2BAD953215FC87F

Check out how the sewn-on "Claws" nameplate doesn't quite match the rest of the jersey (sweat?). It's not like the team was made up of scrubs either - #9 on the Claws in both pictures is HOFer Mel Daniels! Someone, somewhere, has more pictures. I think they'd be fun to see.

Considering their brief history their "rare" for sure. The sewn on "Claws" is great! You know kinda who this team was in bad shape when their first choice of a nickname was "HUSTLERS" :lol:

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

2 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

This was the second of the three preseason games that the Claws played.  Nine days later they were out of business.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kimball said:

Considering their brief history their "rare" for sure. The sewn on "Claws" is great! You know kinda who this team was in bad shape when their first choice of a nickname was "HUSTLERS" :lol:

Coincidentally, I've been to the Hustler in Baltimore. :D

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Shumway said:

Coincidentally, I've been to the Hustler in Baltimore. :D

I visited Baltimore a couple of times last year just to get the feel of the city by riding my bike around it. (On the first visit I rode all the way there from home, on my way to Washington.)  I remember passing the Hustler club and the other similar interesting places on Baltimore Street and thinking "cool" -- until my reverie was broken by noticing that police headquarters is located only a block away.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 minute ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I visited Baltimore a couple of times last year just to get the feel of the city by riding my bike around it. (On the first visit I rode all the way there from home, on my way to Washington.)  I remember passing the Hustler club and the other similar interesting places on Baltimore Street and thinking "cool" -- until my reverie was broken by noticing that police headquarters is located only a block away.

"Interesting places" = liquor stores, pawn/jewelry shops, strip clubs and more strip clubs. 

On 3/11/2017 at 7:47 PM, Shumway said:

"Interesting places" = liquor stores, pawn/jewelry shops, strip clubs and more strip clubs. 

Well, yes.  I cannot claim to have visited such places very often.  But a slightly seedy red-light district is necessary for any great and vibrant city.  

As a New Yorker, I lament the virtually complete loss of that sort of section here. We do have a Hustler club (to which I have never been, nor plan to go); but it is located in a remote spot, far from the centre of town.  

However, we have completely lost the gritty feel of the old Times Square.  In some ways it is nicer now, by virtue of the installation of a bike lane and the creation of a large zone for pedestrians and for lounging at tables.  But the cheesification has gone way too far for my tastes.  

So, when I saw that section of Baltimore Street, I had wistful memories of New York's 42nd Street from the 1970s and 1980s.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

17 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Well, yes.  I cannot claim to have visited such places very often.  But a slightly seedy red-light district is necessary for any great and vibrant city.  

As a New Yorker, I lament the virtually complete loss that sort of section here. We do have a Hustler club (to which I have never been, nor plan to go); but it is located in a remote spot, far from the centre of town.  

However, we have completely lost the gritty feel of the old Times Square.  In some ways it is nicer now, by virtue of the installation of a bike lane and the creation of a large zone for pedestrians and for lounging at tables.  But the cheesification has gone way too far for my tastes.  

So, when I saw that section of Baltimore Street, I had wistful memories of New York's 42nd Street from the 1970s and 1980s.

To be honest, I haven't visited these places often either (I went to the Hustler for a bachelor party once), but I drive down Baltimore Street every time I leave the city to get back on to route 83.

• Like 1