The Most Satisfying

CS85

19 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I don't know how I never saw this before. Bases clearing hits are my favorite play in baseball because you get the firedrill merry go round going and this one had the added benefit of a close play at the plate with a perfect slide and barely missed tag. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I don't know how I never saw this before. Bases clearing hits are my favorite play in baseball because you get the firedrill merry go round going and this one had the added benefit of a close play at the plate with a perfect slide and barely missed tag. 

It was a first pitch knock, too.  Fantastic timing.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

45 minutes ago, CS85 said:

It was a first pitch knock, too.  Fantastic timing.

That too. Like the Tigers weren't quite ready for it. Also think about if he doesn't button the ball and hits a grounder instead that's probably a double play and Detroit is out of the inning. The hit itself was pleasing too. A pulled liner is the prettiest kind of hit. It's always a good feeling when a guy hits the ball in the exact perfect place. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think I'm going to watch it again.  :D

The audio is also pretty cool . . . particularly because the last 24 seconds of the clip are just crowd noise (and Soundcloud shows the spikes in volume on the graph).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Another underrated thing in baseball that this clip fits: the home team going ahead in the bottom of the 8th. The road team is usually too shellshocked to do anything in the top of the ninth. They go from expecting to pad a lead to having to change their approach at the plate and there's not much time to adjust. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sticking with the Baltimore trend, this one always stands out to me. 

Somewhere, this game is on a VHS at my parents house. This game was really special to me as a kid, mostly because I grew up going to Orioles games (well, I still do), but I'm an Angels fan. It seemed perfect (to me, anyway) that my two favorite teams played each other on Cal's 2131 game. 

Kind of related, but I remember going to a game a few weeks prior to this and seeing the big banners change. Really cool.

The banner/number change was a brilliant idea.  Whoever came up with that idea deserved a huge raise that year (or at least a bonus)2131_on_the_warehouse_wall.jpg.19950906.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Cliche' as heck, but any sort of game-winning goal in overtime or the final seconds at home. Hockey or soccer, the later the round and bigger the game the better. Something about that moment of pure, unbridled elation on the part of the players and the fans, that sudden sharp roar of the crowd and overwhelming noise of jubilation. If there is a camera shaking uncontrollably from all the commotion and a huge crowd of fans outside the arena/stadium also going wild, even better. That unifying moment of thousands of people coming together overcome with happiness and all that sappy jazz is what I love most about sports in general. Those climactic moments.

Also, that perfect long pass that springs a forward from the blue line all alone into the other team's zone (I think McCarthy said this already).

Tic-tac-toe plays like Crosby/Sheary/Guentzel did a little bit ago this season, or this one from the 2009 cup run which leads me to another thing - rapidly scoring two or three goals to tie a game and then go ahead and leaving the other team totally bamboozled while your fans go wild.

Any sort of shot that rings off the post. Especially if it's bar-down. That "PING!" can be the best and worst possible sound you could hear.

Any perfectly-executed double play. On the other side, that line drive that drops perfectly and drives all the guys on base home. Better than a home run. Although, if it's at PNC Park, it never gets old when that rare river shot happens.

In soccer, the perfect cross and touch into the net. Especially if it's that slow-roller that just makes its way into the net while the goaltender and defenders look on helplessly as they're just... a little... too... far...

oBIgzrL.png

I really love watching the NPB. Baseball is awesome here, don't get me wrong, but the whole atmosphere in Japan (and Korea, too) is just really cool. Bands playing, fight songs going, flags waving, crowds are LOUD, and the announcers really get into it. As it's my favorite sport, it's very satisfying to see it so enjoyed and so amplified.

This video really encapsulates it all (plus, there's some real good mashes too, and you can't go wrong with those):

NPB Home Runs

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'll agree with this one.  Watching the end of the Orioles-Red Sox game, it almost felt like the Orioles had clinched a playoff spot of their own.

2 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I'll agree with this one.  Watching the end of the Orioles-Red Sox game, it almost felt like the Orioles had clinched a playoff spot of their own.

Not an understatement to say that it was a huge turning point for Buck and the franchise. The next year we did good for the first time in forever and clinched a playoff spot

spacer.png

21 hours ago, maz said:

Any sort of shot that rings off the post. Especially if it's bar-down. That "PING!" can be the best and worst possible sound you could hear.

This PING is my most satisfying moment...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

Not an understatement to say that it was a huge turning point for Buck and the franchise. The next year we did good for the first time in forever and clinched a playoff spot

I think the last three weeks of September that year set the tone for what has happened since 2012.  They went 14-8 while playing exclusively teams that finished .500 or better.

I can't find a video of this, but in 1985, I was at a game where Phil Bradley hit a walk-off grand slam with the Mariners down by three and two outs. The part I remember most and probably won't appear in any video was the Twins fan who walked up the aisle taunting all us Mariner fans just before the pitch. I wonder what happened to him.

That first games thread had me thinking about this one. It's more of a whole story that includes not only the on-field moment, but a little interaction before the game.

My first MLB game was Orioles at Mariners two years ago in August. My parents, brother, and I were visiting my grandparents who live in West Seattle and are huge Mariners fans, and they surprised us with tickets to the game when we got there. My Grandma said straight up, "now listen, they suck this year and every time your Grandpa and I go to a game they get trounced, but we knew you'd never been and we wanted you to get to go." I didn't care if they won or lost, I was just thrilled to get to go to a game at all.

So off we went the next day to this game, and even as we get there my Grandma's like "gosh I don't want your first Major League game to suck". I just laughed and was ready to just enjoy whatever happened. About seven innings in, I look up at the box score and realize the hit column is still zero for Baltimore. Iwakuma was pitching very well, but he didn't have very many K's and is not that overpowering, so it hadn't really occurred to me yet because he'd given up a whole lot of ground balls. I looked at my stepdad, and he having been a Semi-Pro pitcher himself and most definitely noticing, just gives me a look that said "don't you dare say anything". My Grandparents picked up on it and my Grandpa said something like, "oh...huh...oh boy". 

Two nail-biting innings later, this happened:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/142694238/hisashi-iwakuma-tosses-mariners-5th-no-hitter/

...and I immediately look over at my Grandma, who had the most pleasantly shocked look on her face as she clapped Citizen Kane style.

So yeah, my first major league experience most definitely did not suck. It's my favorite game of any kind I have ever been to. I'll never forget it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived