2017 MLS Kit Matchups

upperV03

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Maybe it's just my eyes. Anyway, MTL-VAN looks good once again. Do we get another matchup of that?

We should. They square off in Montreal next Tuesday for the second leg of their semifinal tie. Unless the Impact inexplicably decide to wear their secondaries at home, we'll get the same kit matchup once again.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

8 hours ago, upperV03 said:

There weren't any league matches yesterday, but there were two Canadian Championship semifinal first leg matches featuring MLS sides. I figured I might as well include the kit matchups here, and I'll likely do the same for the US Open Cup games that feature MLS clubs.

Ottawa vs. Toronto:

IMG_4525.thumb.JPG.4d60351fe3224c37d043e63e0c6bae80.JPG

Keeper kits: black (Ottawa) vs. light blue (Toronto)

Refs: yellow

Vancouver vs. Montreal:

IMG_4524.thumb.JPG.16fbc4d53c8d1104da4a92f831c286b3.JPG

Keeper kits: red (Vancouver) vs. light blue (Montreal)

The game in Ottawa kind of looked like a Toronto instasquad scrimmage, but it was still a decent looking game. The kit matchup in Vancouver/Montreal was the same as when they squared off in league play earlier this season, and it proved to be a pretty good looking affair once again (though I'm still not a big fan of Vancouver's home kits).

Not a fan of MLS teams always wearing MLS league sleeve patches. Should be the competition or nothing.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

Not a fan of MLS teams always wearing MLS league sleeve patches. Should be the competition or nothing.

My guess is the kits come from the manufacturer with the MLS patch already on them. You notice this a lot in the CONCACAF Champions League. The CL patch is added over top of the MLS patch, and they always end up falling off over the course of matches.

9 hours ago, nas1787 said:

My guess is the kits come from the manufacturer with the MLS patch already on them.

Yeah, but that would be easy enough to fix if they wanted to.  They don't because MLS clubs almost always wear MLS patches, so it's not worth it.  If the clubs wore competition patches in the US Open Cup, then it might start to be worth fixing.

11 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, but that would be easy enough to fix if they wanted to.  They don't because MLS clubs almost always wear MLS patches, so it's not worth it.  If the clubs wore competition patches in the US Open Cup, then it might start to be worth fixing.

US Soccer could mandate this as easily as England does for the FA Cup now. CONCACAF doesn't regulate patch placement either so Mexican teams look even worse than MLS when patches are put on. They should all follow the UEFA model.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Personally I'm okay with it as is, especially since the league patches are in team colors and/or colors that match the kits. By always having the league patches on both sleeves (except for Dallas), the league is, at least for now, restraining from letting teams add sleeve sponsors on the shirts. It's unfortunate that the CCL patches have to be applied over the league patches, but there really isn't a need to have seperate sets of shirts with the league patches removed or only on one side since other competitions like the US Open Cup and the Canadian Championship don't have sleeve patches.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

42 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Personally I'm okay with it as is, especially since the league patches are in team colors and/or colors that match the kits. By always having the league patches on both sleeves (except for Dallas), the league is, at least for now, restraining from letting teams add sleeve sponsors on the shirts. It's unfortunate that the CCL patches have to be applied over the league patches, but there really isn't a need to have seperate sets of shirts with the league patches removed or only on one side since other competitions like the US Open Cup and the Canadian Championship don't have sleeve patches.

I'd imagine that new shirts are made weekly. With how much players seem to trade jerseys, it almost would have to be the case. 

I also could be completely off here. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 minute ago, DiePerske said:

I'd imagine that new shirts are made weekly. With how much players seem to trade jerseys, it almost would have to be the case. 

I also could be completely off here. 

I think that's just a team by team thing in MLS. I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that said the Timbers' players receive around 10 of each jersey per season and if they end up trading all of those then they're personally responsible for paying for each jersey after that. I'd imagine the other clubs in the league would have similar policies, though I certainly could be wrong on that. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The first league game of the week took place last night, and it was a fairly attractive matchup. There was certainly a nice contrast between the two kits, both in terms of color as well as style.

Chicago vs. FC Dallas:

IMG_4558.JPG.25dcff6c06359fa1716862b14e75a8cc.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (Chicago) vs. green (FCD)

Looking ahead to tonight's game between Toronto and Columbus, the kit matchup figures to be a repeat of their two matchups from earlier in the season, unless of course Columbus inexplicably opts for their black secondaries. I don't expect Toronto to deviate from their reds at home, so Columbus are the only ones who are likely to screw it up (they've already screwed up a few matchups this season).

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

And of course Columbus decided to go with their black secondaries last night in Toronto. I guess it's nice to have some variety, but I was still a bit dissaponted to see them in black, especially since they wore yellow the first two times they played the Reds this season. They got handed a 5-0 beat down, and in turn they lost the Trillium Cup, so hopefully they learned their lesson and they'll avoid the black from now on unless they have to wear them to avoid a clash.

Toronto vs. Columbus:

IMG_4571.JPG.b7c93099dbc53a5022efc192e75a99c7.JPG

Keeper kits: green (Toronto) vs. white (Columbus)

Refs: light blue

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

^I only watched part of the game, so I'm not sure if he did or not. It wouldn't surprise me if he did though, and I even played against a kid once who had something similar and he swung it all over the place.

But anyways, here's how the rest of the weekend's matchups looked. 

Seattle vs. Portland:IMG_4576.thumb.JPG.815d432ef8902336c08c7d386cf27f74.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (Seattle) vs. white (Portland)

Vancouver vs. DCU:

IMG_4579.thumb.JPG.bca36812a6903b177a8b5e2e55c8abf5.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (Vancouver) vs. green (DCU)

Refs: red

NYRB vs. New England:

IMG_4585.JPG.1879e12dd18cb09e114b8da31f4aa38d.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (NYRB) vs. red (New England)

Colorado vs. SKC:

IMG_4577.JPG.897f26e03e9c8f1b9d2baeaecc4ee696.JPG

Keeper kits: black (Colorado) vs. green (SKC)

Minnesota vs. Orlando:

IMG_4581.JPG.91cffe3f7cf2a618b8a2aa846d7a4af5.JPG

Keeper kits: green (Minnesota) vs. black (Orlando)

RSL vs. Philadelphia:

IMG_4588.JPG.0ab9bd70d490a906346a33a1090af3fc.JPG

Keeper kits: black (RSL) vs. light blue (Philadelphia)

San Jose vs. LA:

IMG_4589.thumb.JPG.14f3ca0a01ece79717a6a10fa177bbef.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (San Jose) vs. green (LA)

Refs: red

Atlanta vs. NYCFC:

IMG_4595.thumb.JPG.d229c5def3689beae2f01cfeefd032b6.JPG

Keeper kits: green (Atlanta) vs. black (NYCFC)

FCD vs. Houston:

IMG_4597.thumb.JPG.2372fdacc1baf2b671514fecd11b5667.JPG

Keeper kits: light blue (FCD) vs. green (Houston)

And just as a little note, the Red Bulls wore special numbers for the third time this season, this time for Military Appreciation Night. Here's what they looked like:

IMG_4586.thumb.JPG.84ee2f166cddd2207207b7b959210bf9.JPG

Now time to offer some thoughts on the kit matchups. Just like the first time the two clubs met, Atlanta/NYCFC was the peach of the week (pun intended, shoutout to ATLUTD's tifo). It looked just as beautiful the second time around, and it'll definitely be hard to beat for matchup of the season. Other than that, I thought Seattle/Portland looked really nice, and it'd be my pick for runner-up of the week to ATL/NYC. Matchups between the Timbers and Sounders almost always look good (the Timbers carry the aesthetic weight most of the time IMO), and this edition proved to be no exception. I'd say NYRB/NE, Colorado/SKC, Minnesota/Orlando, and FCD/Houston were all a fairly small step below the two aforementioned matchups, while Vancouver/DC, RSL/Philadelphia, and San Jose/LA were just a bit stale in comparison.

The final thing I'll say for this weekend's games is that I was happy to see SKC break out navy shorts for the first time with their new primary kit. The shorts had light blue adidas stripes and looked to be the same as what they wore with their last home kit. I wasn't necessarily a fan of how they looked with the rest of the kit, as they felt a bit out of place with the white accents on the shirt and socks, but I appreciate that they seemingly have them as an option in case of clashes. I do think the matchup against Colorado was made significantly more attractive by SKC opting to go with the navy shorts rather than white, so I hope they wear them again if they happen to have another matchup on the road against a team with dark tops and light colored shorts (except if that team was Seattle in their third kits, as that matchup was hard enough to watch with the white shorts for SKC).

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

I wish NYC would leave the dirt infield for their games. I know that's dumb, but I always liked the look of early season NFL games at the old multi-purpose stadiums. 

Having played a few games in my youth club career with dirt infields on the fields, I can tell you that there is absolutely no way that would be feasible for an MLS match. Not only is it a safety hazard with the possibility of having multiple players sliding and/or tackling on the dirt at once, it's practically impossible to control the ball on the dirt, let alone control yourself. It's one thing in baseball, and even football in fairly rare instances like early season Raiders home games, where players still have to run on the dirt, slide, make quick movements, and obviously tackle in football, but in soccer where the game revolves around playing the ball on the ground and trying to send balls in the air, it would just be an absolute nightmare, regardless of the quality of the players.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, Digby said:

It is! (apart from my existing complaints about that Revs kit) 

is NYCFC's shirt color a touch darker this year than last? Or does the navy trim just play tricks?

The navy trim might indeed be making it look darker.  And it could  also be the new material, which is heathered and which seems to darken easily with sweat.  

Archived