2017 MLS Kit Matchups

upperV03

13 hours ago, Digby said:

That game in Minnesota was tough to watch for a whole host of reasons. Was tough to tell the teams apart at times but that was mostly due to the snowstorm camera filter I think.

As somebody who was at the game, it wasn't really any easier to tell them apart in person. 

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting on this week's kit lineup charts. Strangely, Atlanta/Chicago and DC/Columbus have been posted, but the rest have not. Also, these two images are jpgs, whereas the rest of them have all been png, so that is why the coloring is a bit off.IMG_3100.JPGIMG_3099.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

About time.   Been waiting to see the navy blue shorts in action. 

They looked pretty good in preseason, but it'll be nice to see them in a proper game and atmosphere.

IMG_3114.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, hendocfc said:

Erm since when can't maroon v grey be played,Minnesota? Funny how SKC v SJ could've both used primaries (light blue v black) without any issue as well.

I'm pretty confident SKC's decision to wear their secondaries against San Jose has nothing to do with avoiding any kind of clash. Last season they wore their secondary and third kits at home quite a few times so it's just something they're wont to do. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

How much longer is MLS under contract with Adidas?  If the Tampa Bay Rowdies get one of the two MLS bids, it terrifies me to think about their classic uniform with the 3-stripe vomit abuse on it. :(

You just made the Iron List!!

Iron List.png

56 minutes ago, Classic Man said:

How much longer is MLS under contract with Adidas?  If the Tampa Bay Rowdies get one of the two MLS bids, it terrifies me to think about their classic uniform with the 3-stripe vomit abuse on it. :(

The Adidas contract is up in 2018, well before the new expansion clubs come in.  But they might well re-up before then. 

I've been very critical of Adidas in the past (come on, three stripes or a logo on the chest, you don't get both), but MLS is a very good-looking league right now.  At this particular time I can't think of any company I'd rather have outfitting the league. 

Still prefer NYCFC in white shorts but I like the navy in action. Helps against a white team--normally I think white vs light blue matchups look terrible (one of many reasons I can't ever watch a Denver Nuggets game) but in this case it was fine, though their light blue being darker and more saturated helps too.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

18 minutes ago, Digby said:

Still prefer NYCFC in white shorts but I like the navy in action. Helps against a white team--normally I think white vs light blue matchups look terrible (one of many reasons I can't ever watch a Denver Nuggets game) but in this case it was fine, though their light blue being darker and more saturated helps too.

I definitely prefer the white shorts too, although it's still a solid look with the navy. Having said that, I think yesterday's match would've been much more visually appealing if they had recreated this matchup, except obviously with NYCFC's new kit.

IMG_3146.JPG

Luckily we should get to see just that when NYCFC visit Montreal later this season. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Adidas contract is up in 2018, well before the new expansion clubs come in.  But they might well re-up before then. 

So what do you guys think will most likely happen in regards to the league's uniform/kit suppliers? MLS re-signs with Adidas? MLS makes a new league wide deal with another company? Or would MLS let the individual clubs go back to making their own deals?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

There's no way they abandon the league-wide contract.  That's just the way things are done in this country - all major leagues do it because it gives them greater bargaining power and allows them to leverage all the teams to get a better deal.  

It's hard to say what will happen, but I suspect adidas will bid aggressively to keep the contract. MLS is a rising league with an growing presence in this country and I imagine they would like to remain associated with it.  But then again, another company might well want to step in. 

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

So what do you guys think will most likely happen in regards to the league's uniform/kit suppliers? MLS re-signs with Adidas? MLS makes a new league wide deal with another company? Or would MLS let the individual clubs go back to making their own deals?

Honestly, what @Gothamite said. It might be adidas, might not be. Either way, it will be a league wide deal

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I would be very surprised if MLS goes in any other direction than renewing with adidas. The two just seem paired at the hip. Adidas does wonders for MLS as far as strengthening the league image and it helps that they are generally putting out great designs. Might be a few boring kits out there, but there are very few bad ones (new DC away, the now retired Columbus kit).

I think the partnership is beneficial for both parties. Hypothetically someone could come in like Nike or Under Armour, but that would seem so far out of left field. And I think those are the only two that could do it. MLS won't take a smaller brand like New Balance because that does nothing for them as far as increasing the stature of the league. Any brand less than those three would be a big step back for MLS and I would be very surprised, but I am fully expecting a renewal with adidas.

The kit lineup charts for this week's three games have unfortunately still not been posted, but this is what we'll most likely be seeing.

New England vs. Minnesota:

IMG_3206.JPGIMG_3207.JPG

NYRB vs. RSL:

IMG_3208.JPGIMG_3209.JPG

Columbus vs. Portland:

IMG_3210.JPGIMG_3211.JPG

Portland has already announced they'll be wearing their secondaries, so this matchup is a certainly. The other two should be correct though too.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived