2017 MLS Kit Matchups

upperV03

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And considering that the yellow primary was brought back in no small part because the fans wanted it. 

When you own a color the way they do, I think it should automatically be the first choice for every match.  

Were it up to me, they'd wear black sometimes on the road, just enough to show it off for merchandise sales, but showcase the signature color as often as possible.   And always at home.  I dont want to see Orlando at home in anything other than purple. 

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And considering that the yellow primary was brought back in no small part because the fans wanted it. 

When you own a color the way they do, I think it should automatically be the first choice for every match.  

Were it up to me, they'd wear black sometimes on the road, just enough to show it off for merchandise sales, but showcase the signature color as often as possible.   And always at home.  I dont want to see Orlando at home in anything other than purple. 

The only time we've ever not done purple at home was one time in 2015 - it was 90-something degrees, and we forced DCU to sweat it out in black.

ExJworW.png

The last of this week's games was a fairly nice looking affair. One beautiful kit matched up against one decent to good kit usually makes for an appealing match, and this one was no exception with the way the colors contrasted with eachother.

IMG_3292.thumb.JPG.47d6f559034a71bf229e77edf7f46ce8.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

That New England kit needs a red sleeve on the other side, and maybe navy shorts (considering that the sponsor and name/number on the back is navy). Until that happens, it's way too unbalanced for me.

And, while the all-green look is good, IMO the Timbers need white shorts to truly look like the Timbers. The new set looks incredible - just not for Portland.

ExJworW.png

In general the Revs kit needs some kind of better trim -- maybe some thin navy detailing on the cuffs, or navy shorts, or better designed shorts in general. Right now the whole affair just looks kinda cheap and pub-league. I think it's because from behind, it just looks like a plain white shirt with the flag and number printed on, paired with shorts that don't entirely match.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

That New England kit needs a red sleeve on the other side, and maybe navy shorts (considering that the sponsor and name/number on the back is navy). Until that happens, it's way too unbalanced for me.

And, while the all-green look is good, IMO the Timbers need white shorts to truly look like the Timbers. The new set looks incredible - just not for Portland.

Historically the Timbers have actually worn all-green kits far more than green/white/green. The original NASL version of the Timbers, who actually wore white at home and green on the road, only ever had three green/white/green kits as opposed to five all-green looks. The USL iteration of the Timbers, while mixing it up in their first couple of seasons, ended up settling on all-green as their primary kit for nearly all of their time in operation. So while the green/white/green look is certainly recognizable in MLS, the all-green actually looks much more like the Timbers when considering their past iterations and their kit history. As a Timbers fan I like the green/white/green, but the all-green with gold accents is about as perfect as it gets. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

This bugs me a little bit -- why would Portland have a green keeper kit? If I'm the ref, that's too close to the regular shirt for me.

It seems the only keeper kit colorways for this season are green, blue, red/orange, black, and white so I guess the Timbers must've deemed the bright green a better choice than black in terms of contrast since they couldn't go with either the red or white options and the Revs went with blue. The lighting in that picture makes the greens look much more similar than they actually were in action. From the stadium the bright green keeper kit still provided a pretty stark contrast from the dark green kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Yellow is availble as well.

That's what I thought going into the season, but there hasn't been a single keeper use it yet. So it remains to be seen whether or not it's actually in rotation or not. And in regards to the Timbers vs. Revs match, Portland couldn't have used the yellow colorway anyways because the refs wore yellow, and the red and blue ref kits would've clashed with the Revs' secondary kits and the blue keeper kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Refs could use a lighter shade of blue from the adidas catalog to overcome issues like this. Hopefully they plan for this if it comes to pass at MLS Cup.

There are only four colorways of the current Adidas ref shirt: yellow, blue, red, and black. The shade of blue of the ref shirt is almost identical to the current blue keeper kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Timbers just announced they'll be wearing their primary kits tomorrow in Philadelphia. Unless the Union were to choose to go with their secondary kits at home, we should see the debut of the Timbers' white clash shorts seen in this image:

IMG_2929.thumb.JPG.1b5a68dfd98510c092bec61875a769ef.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Yes, we saw a similar thing last year when Portland played San Jose. Got to stop doing that. Can't be that close.

Yeah, and Portland's other kit is red/black (mostly black I believe) so that wouldn't really be a good contract against Navy either. 

Archived