2017 MLS Kit Matchups

upperV03

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Damn - MLS has the wrong graphic for the DCU/NYCFC match center.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2017-04-08-dc-united-vs-new-york-city-fc/preview

They have the DC/Philadelphia graphic from last week.

They're becoming more and more inconsistent with posting the graphics each week. It seems like they're waiting longer each week to post them, and so far that graphic is the only one posted for this week and it's not even for the correct match.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Yeah, and Portland's other kit is red/black (mostly black I believe) so that wouldn't really be a good contract against Navy either. 

That's what's really weird. They have 2 dark kits. Not sure what they were thinking. 

Maybe they can wear generic white kits like the team in France had to do last week when their unis were deemed too close.

http://www.footyheadlines.com/2017/04/toulouse-forced-to-wear-nike-kits-after-joma-kit-clash.html

toulouse-forced-to-wear-nike-kits-after-

13 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

That's what's really weird. They have 2 dark kits. Not sure what they were thinking. 

Maybe they can wear generic white kits like the team in France had to do last week when their unis were deemed too close.

http://www.footyheadlines.com/2017/04/toulouse-forced-to-wear-nike-kits-after-joma-kit-clash.html

toulouse-forced-to-wear-nike-kits-after-

They already announced they're wearing green tomorrow and there's no way they'd do that^. Sure there are some problematic matchups where the contrast won't be as stark as would be preferable, but there's nothing bad enough to warrant going to that extreme. And the league only just started encouraging teams to have one light and one dark kit a couple of years ago so their current secondary kit was already deep in the design process when the league started that movement. They're shifting away from the Rose City red theme for next season's secondary so chances are they'll unveil a white-heavy kit to conform with the league's desire for all teams to have one primarily light kit and one primarily dark kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Finally here's this week's kit matchups:

IMG_3353.JPG.0bb05f4ee686c411fc1651850f208225.JPGIMG_3354.JPG.17cc1a25f6a583a3e046ef481818cf25.JPGIMG_3355.JPG.8bea0a9f2205f6c3561e7d701abe42a3.JPGIMG_3356.JPG.22e33884a24ea0c992866cf86183048b.JPGIMG_3357.JPG.96e820cdb35fcb321cdf2f9d6440ef03.JPGIMG_3358.JPG.89c9126954473e8c43233386db9b5df1.JPGIMG_3359.JPG.44b17b7e4072d98a4322a9d5a140fbb5.JPGIMG_3360.JPG.20b6348af02cd3ebdfa456c5ee0e39e2.JPG

IMG_3361.JPG.a910de93e5bd458c4b86b024ac495ab3.JPGIMG_3362.JPG.dd18deefa7e2aa35ea18f03d99540501.JPGIMG_3363.JPG.b0413a594b762172554a07cbc69f3ce1.JPG

Several things of note this week. Columbus is choosing to go with black once again when their yellow primaries would've sufficed. Both Chicago/Columbus matchups so far this season will now have featured the road team in their secondary kits when they could've gone with their primaries. And Portland will indeed be debuting the white shorts, along with some new white socks which will surely help increase the contrast in that matchup. This will also mark the first time in their regular season MLS history that they will wear green/white/white. Since joining MLS they've only ever donned that combo during preseason. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. Toronto/Atlanta will see the regular season debut of Atlanta's secndary kit, and they'll be pairing it with some white (why not light grey?) clash shorts and socks. That matchup is strangely very boring in terms of colors considering red, grey, and white are the only colors featured in both teams' kits. Lastly, Colorado will be wearing their secondary kits against SKC when their primaries probably would've provided comparable, if not better contrast. That's not really surprising though since they've generally tried to wear their secondary kits on the road as much as possible since debuting the first flag-themed kit several years ago.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Wow. That is horrible. Gold on both too. No.

IMG_3357.JPG

I don't really think it'll be all that bad since Portland will be wearing white from the waist down. For the players and the refs it'll be completely fine since the shorts and socks often cause a lot more confusion than the shirts. For the fans, both live and those watching on TV, it might be a bit confusing from afar but even then the white shorts and socks should dispel most of that confusion.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, sozopol said:

NYCFC-- what is the color name? Bah blue? B&H blue? 

Good catch. On all of the previous graphics for this season it's just been labeled as light blue, so surely there was some sort of mistake and/or typo. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

18 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Wow. That is horrible. Gold on both too. No.

IMG_3357.JPG

Yeah -- that's a really dark matchup. Philadelphia is at home so it's their call, but their white set would have make for a much more appealing game.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Timbers look sharp as hell in green/white/white today. The game just started but there's plenty of contrast between the two teams. I'll post pics of the Timbers' kits later tonight when I post the pics of today's matchups.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I'm watching as well and I feel like the white accessories just don't go with this years shirt -- would've been fine with previous Timbers shirts that had white in them. Weird complaint for me to have as someone who's not fond of green monochrome.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

I'm watching as well and I feel like the white accessories just don't go with this years shirt -- would've been fine with previous Timbers shirts that had white in them. Weird complaint for me to have as someone who's not fond of green monochrome.

Yeah I get that, and the all-green look is still far superior but the white shorts and socks make for a really nice alternate look (IMO) for situations such as today's match. I think the tiny amount of white accents on the shirt (the MLS badges and jocktag) and the small amount of gold trim on the shorts tie it together pretty well. I think green/white/green would look better than what they're in today but the white socks make more sense for avoiding clashes. Overall the all-green is still certainly the preferred look but the white elements make for a nice change of pace for a handful of games during the season when they need to maximize contrast.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived