General Mills Retro Cereal Boxes

kroywen

Saw these retro General Mills cereal boxes at Target today. Not sure what the occasion is, if any, but they're holding a contest to win retro t-shirts with these designs as well:

20170305_151921.jpg

They're all really good designs actually. Cinnamon Toast Crunch box should be made permanent (I know they just updated their design, but I love this retro box even more).

EDIT: Exceeded max size for photos; more photos below.

9 minutes ago, kroywen said:

17155614_10208698418392998_7028360460163

Pardon me for mentioning this again, but the Honey Nut Cheerios box shows how much any wordmark can be improved simply by removing any aspect of faux-3D, in this case the drop shadow.

15 minutes ago, kroywen said:

17155758_10208698418553002_1432649111221

On the Cocoa Puffs box, the cuckoo bird looks better for the same reason: the faux-3D has been removed.

(Though, strangely, the bee on the retro Honey Nut Cheerios box has acquired aspects of faux-3D that it didn't have on the previous box.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

20 hours ago, kroywen said:

Saw these retro General Mills cereal boxes at Target today. Not sure what the occasion is, if any,

I remember seeing retro boxes at a Target store a few years ago. Seems like it's a common promotion exclusively for Target.

http://www.blog.generalmills.com/2015/02/its-throwback-cereal-time/

Guess Kelloggs, Nabisco, and some other companies have done similar things at Target. Even the their food brand Markey Pantry has a very retro feel.

It would be cool to see more brands do it permanently. 

11 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

It would be cool to see more brands do it [bring back old logos] permanently. 

I'd love for Pepsi to bring back its real logo, which could have (should have) remained intact essentially forever.

Image result for pepsi logos

(Not that I drink the stuff.  I drink Coke products Caffiene Free Diet Coke and Sprite Zero.  Though my favourite sodas are Diet 7-Up and, best of all, Fresca.  I am writing here solely out of one opinionated blowhard's concern for the visual universe.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2017 at 10:57 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'd love for Pepsi to bring back its real logo, which could have (should have) remained intact essentially forever.

Image result for pepsi logos

(Not that I drink the stuff.  I drink Coke products Caffiene Free Diet Coke and Sprite Zero.  Though my favourite sodas are Diet 7-Up and, best of all, Fresca.  I am writing here solely out of one opinionated blowhard's concern for the visual universe.)

I like the 1973 logo but not the font.  Personally I prefer the 1987 logo (sans the ®), but that's just my personal preference:

the-pepsi-logo-by-zubi-6-638.jpg

By the way, would it look better or worse (or weird) if the word "Pepsi" wasn't straight horizontal but rather wavy?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2017 at 10:33 AM, sayahh said:

I like the 1973 logo but not the font.  Personally I prefer the 1987 logo (sans the ®), but that's just my personal preference:

the-pepsi-logo-by-zubi-6-638.jpg

By the way, would it look better or worse (or weird) if the word "Pepsi" wasn't straight horizontal but rather wavy?

To me, the '87-'91 logo is by far Pepsi's best and should be what they are using right now. There is a bit less white space, but in this case, it works perfectly.

And I don't think wavy text would look very good.

On 3/12/2017 at 10:35 AM, EddieJ1984 said:

I hope the cool retro golden grahams box comes back.

2461675283_16727e11f0_z.jpg?zz=1

That reminds me of having breakfast at my great grandmothers house. 

I think companies should realize how important it is to keep their branding for nearly forever. Coca-Cola does this...and it works. I use to drink Pepsi, but it tasted different when they went to this new weird globe logo. 

iq5b7nF.png

Archived