Creating more modern NFL helmet icons

JTrainGBR83

I wanted some updated helmet icons for a Madden league I help out with. In the early days it was the Helmet Project, and in recent years lots of people use MG helmets--both awesome resources you have probably seen and/or used if you're into football. Millions of people have used these helmet icons for blogs, fantasy leagues, videogame leagues, office pools, etc. The MG template gave a more modern helmet style with improved lighting. I figured, why not take the next step and make the helmets with an even more updated look: The profile view of davidson's great "Three Views" template.

The idea is do all the NFL teams, facing both directions. This is good for showing matchups (helmets facing each other). I took davidson's template, cropped out just the profile view, took out the Riddell text on the chin strap (so you can flip it either way), took out the background and drop shadow layers, and started creating the NFL helmets. It would be great to do all the FBS helmets in the future, but the NFL is plenty big enough of a project for now. I'm going to do the ones that I think I can do relatively well. I may ask for advice/Photoshop help on the more unique ones (Bengals, Browns, Vikings, etc... I can not figure out the matte layers on this template :wacko:). I will post them all at original size (990 x 754) and at the end (if I ever get there) I'll downsize them too to have icon-sized ones.

I'm going to focus on helmet color/texture, main logo, striping and facemask color/texture--any other details such as visible stickers on the back I will leave out. I'm not going to be too picky about logo placement. If you notice something that is substantially off, let me know.

Of course, thanks to davidson for the template.

Tracking/Notes (bold = completed)

Buffalo Bills
Miami Dolphins
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars - Will need help on how to achieve black finish in Photoshop
Tennessee Titans
Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Chargers
Oakland Raiders
Dallas Cowboys
New York Giants - Finish of this seems a bit different from standard gloss (?)
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions - Will wait on new helmets
Green Bay Packers - Not sure how to achieve the sparkle on the yellow
Minnesota Vikings - Will need help on how to achieve this finish in Photoshop
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Need tips on facemask, possibly helmet sparkle too
Arizona Cardinals
Los Angeles Rams - White horns and white facemasks? Anything changing about the horns shape?
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2017 at 2:43 AM, JTrainGBR83 said:

Is the Cowboys helmet only silver or does it have a minor blue tint?

The Cowboys' helmet color is technically called "Metallic Texas Blue" by Riddell and "Dallas Blue" by Schutt, so i think it could be argued that their helmet is actually a metallic silver-blue.. but to answer your question - yes, it has a blue tint.

The Raiders' have the finest metallic flake of all the silver helmets, and it can appear a touch beige at times, while the Panthers' have the most prounounced metallic flake of all the silver helmets.. The Patriots fall somewhere in between I think, but appear to be closer to "Bay Silver" (Raiders) than "Extra Bright Silver" (Panthers)

I would appreciate if anyone good with Photoshop (or similar... is @nivrag69 around?) would be willing to give any advice they have on achieving the finishes of these teams:

• Redskins, Giants, Eagles: These seem to have a unique type of gloss different from the standard one. It's hard to describe but it looks like a marble or a certain type of bowling ball... as if there is a layer of glass over it and then it has a unique glittery shine underneath.
  • Vikings: Nivrag did a great looking similar finish with Utah here with a different template.
  • Browns
  • Jaguars

I haven't been able to figure out the "Extra Passes" folder of layers on Davidson's template. I've tried making the Matte layers visible and moving them into the main Passes folder, but it does not achieve the effect.

Archived