Worst Nascars

Cujo

Also this version of Sterling Marlin's Coors Light:

coorscar.jpg

Navy, Deep Red, Silver, Bright Yellow, and Cream? And those gradient numbers make me look at Jacksonville's helmets and think: "huh, I guess it could be worse."

spacer.png

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, the two 51 cars are bad inclusions in this thread.

The first one is a plain red car with a smiley face, which was actually a pretty humorous story. That was one of the first races after AJ Allmendinger (and possibly a couple other drivers) took over the 51 from Kurt Busch. Kurt has a history of being a hot head and blowing up at whoever happens to be in his way, be it his crew, other drivers, members of the media, or even a police officer, and it's cost him a job at least twice. Phoenix Racing never admitted it, but it was clear why they put a giant smiley face on the car as soon as he left that team.

And the second one is a direct copy of Ricky Bobby's car from Talladega Nights.

2699679_1_l.jpg

You could argue that it's a dumb movie, but it's not even a bad design. It's an obvious reference to a movie.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

15 hours ago, kimball said:

Well ... I wouldn't be the first one to point out the fine art of the left turn and wearing a diaper for over 500 miles.

Switching out four tires on a car in 12-14 seconds is pretty good sport in and of itself. And not all NASCAR races are left turns only.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Great thread.

The first ones that pop into my head was when Red Bull Racing was in the sport and they switched one car to silver for their B car

nascar-cup-bristol-ii-2011-kasey-kahne-r

On the current series, I really am not a fan of Almirola's Petty patriotic look that he's had for a while. I've seen some good patriotic cars(far and in-between), but this isn't one.

Aric_Almirola_car_Photo_credit-_Jerome_M

31 minutes ago, raysox said:

On the current series, I really am not a fan of Almirola's Petty patriotic look that he's had for a while. I've seen some good patriotic cars(far and in-between), but this isn't one.

I hate that scheme, mostly because Petty has this insistence of using Petty blue in every scheme, whether or not it fits. At least with the Cheerios cars in the 2000s, they still used a majority-yellow design, incorporating a little Petty blue. But with Smithfield's logo is black and white, with a bit of gold. Having an entirely Petty blue car with navy and red trim makes no sense. Their original design from 2012 and the beginning of 2013 was perfect. Black and white, with just a touch of Petty blue.

Aric+Almirola+55th+Daytona+500+Day+2+QtL

Daytona+International+Speedway+Day+3+jo5

As a fan of The Dinger, I destested this look for the #47 from 2014/2015 Daytona 500.

It's a patriotic look; but the scheme from the 2016 Daytona 500 was leaps and bounds better IMO.

Daytona+International+Speedway+Day+3+O1k

(Although, I don't care for the mini Kroger logos forming a decorative touch at the splitter area.)

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Oh man... this thread takes me back . I almost forgot about Kurt Busch racing in the 51, which led me to Wikipedia on Phoenix Racing's history, which led me to remember AJ Allmendinger's short stint with Penske. It's hard to believe now. 

As for the thread itself, my biggest pet peeve has been Almirola's patriotic scheme that Raysox posted. I liked it for a one-time thing, but now that it's the primary paint scheme, I kinda hate it. 

Gonna have to disagree about the silver Red Bull scheme. I actually kinda liked it. I think it would've been better, though, if they went with red. THAT would've been sharp.

Never was a fan of Brad Keselowski's Miller Lite scheme from his championship season:

12-CMS-2.JPG

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

3 hours ago, Matito said:

I hate that scheme, mostly because Petty has this insistence of using Petty blue in every scheme, whether or not it fits. At least with the Cheerios cars in the 2000s, they still used a majority-yellow design, incorporating a little Petty blue. But with Smithfield's logo is black and white, with a bit of gold. Having an entirely Petty blue car with navy and red trim makes no sense. Their original design from 2012 and the beginning of 2013 was perfect. Black and white, with just a touch of Petty blue.

Petty's cars are ones that have frustrated me the most over the decades since his retirement. i don't recall seeing even one livery that looks good, including the Amirola car above. the swoosh detail is so cliche' in NASCAR as the rest of the design world has moved on from 2008 Web 2.0 aesthetics. not only that, but the swoosh element and stripe along the front bumper do not pair well– the bumper design follows the straight lines of the car's body, but the door design (including the random "toothpaste" bit on the quarter panel) clash heavily. there's no continuity or unity with this design, just random shapes of color pasted on. i'm all for a clashing number, but a clashing roof design with the blue and red look way too odd. i would suspect the car did not stand out in the field and is why they made the roof like that for the Spotters, but a red number probably would have sufficed. this car feels like 3 different liveries pasted together.

but enough about that one; why Petty never retained his traditional STP designs i don't know. he's never fielded a car that has stood out from the pack but always drove a car that was the first one you would notice, even when it was all blue. and if not for his insistence on using his baby blue while partnering with STP, his cars would have been all red (Day-Glow Orange) like the Indy cars. so when fielding a car with a sponsor who only has a black/white identity, this is the perfect opportunity for his cars to retain (or go back to) the iconic STP livery and i have to imagine he would be one to tell the sponsors "this is how the car will look". but why he hasn't, i don't know. i suppose he just doesnt care

this is where the Wood brothers have gotten it right and not only is Blaney's current design one of the very best in the sport, it's nostalgic and iconic as well. i wish Petty would notice

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

On 3/9/2017 at 8:27 AM, vicfurth said:

Check and mate. 

IMG_3596.JPG

it's far from intimidating, but i like the design itself. all the lines and shapes flow the same direction on the car which is more than you can say for most Nascar liveries. even how the paint goes up and over the fender is a nice touch. the color/shapes shift direction inside the numbers and it helps those contrast against the color behind it. the whole thing feels like they poured a bunch of paint on the front of the car and the wind blew it back to the rear bumper. it's the last driver you'd ever expect to pilot it, but the design is carefully considered and stands out in a good way IMO

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

3 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

As a fan of The Dinger, I destested this look for the #47 from 2014/2015 Daytona 500.

It's a patriotic look; but the scheme from the 2016 Daytona 500 was leaps and bounds better IMO.

(Although, I don't care for the mini Kroger logos forming a decorative touch at the splitter area.)

His 2017 scheme is leaps and bounds better, if for no other reason than because it isn't covered with 7000 tiny logos.

3C828BC6D558427BB6101822B3CEEC2F.ashx?h=

2 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Never was a fan of Brad Keselowski's Miller Lite scheme from his championship season:

This was my favorite post-Rusty Wallace Miller Lite scheme. Simple, and I've always had a thing for having product pictures incorporated into the scheme rather than just logos. I had a sim racing car back in the mid-2000s that used a Pepsi bottle as part of the design.

1 hour ago, raysox said:

I liked that so much better than the first Ford one. Glad it was killed for the white retro design

I loved his 2013 scheme. It wasn't as good as his championship car from the year before, but I really don't like the all-white version he's driven the past four years. I know it matches the Miller Lite cans/bottles, but in my mind, Miller Lite is supposed to be navy blue, not white.

5 hours ago, Matito said:

That reminds me a lot of Ryan Newman's Alltel cars.

This Dale Jarrett car doesn't appeal to me much. Flames coming from different directions and the numbers aren't very clear to read.

DaleJarrettFlameCar.jpg

18 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Child please

Kim-Kardashian-Nascar.jpg

That's all the checks & mates required for a lifetime of this topic.  

And yes, it ran.  Apparently the Mike Bliss #36 car for the 2010 Shelby American 400 whatever that is (in Las Vegas).  It crashed btw.

How many men were inside?  Was this filmed?

Archived