Do you hate/like teams because of their uniforms

smzimbabwe

When I was kid and first getting interested in the NFL, I was drawn to the LA Rams due to their unis, especially the helmets. I'd never been to California, and had no reason to root for them otherwise. I still follow them to a degree and am wondering that if they have success with this year's all-white, they'll never bring back the royal and yellow. Those unis were the main reason I ever cared about the team.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I don't. I'm a fan of the pro teams I grew up with (SuperSonics, Seahawks, Mariners). With other teams, I have to have a personal connection to someone playing or coaching to like, support, and be a fan of. For example, I went to Washington State and I was a big WSU football fan because I knew the coaching staffs of Mike Price, Bill Doba, and Paul Wulff. I am not a fan of them now 1) for my personal dislike of the Leach and 2) I don't know anyone on the roster or staff. A lot of former WSU classmates get angry that I don't support WSU football. I guess I'm more loyal to people than places or things (such as uniforms and logos).

Am I critical of uniforms and logos? Absolutely! Even if I know people on those teams.

CCSLC Signature.jpg

2 hours ago, Yippy said:

I'm by no means a fan of the team, but I like the Texans strictly because of their logo. I also have a soft spot for their battle red ensemble. 

On the flip side, I stopped liking the Ducks when they dropped the Mighty and switched to their current identity. Doesn't even feel like the same franchise to me anymore. 

I agree with you on the Ducks. Used to have a soft spot for them and then when they changed went to not caring about them to kinda hating them (some of the players they had/have contributed to the hate too.)

In addition to my team, the Bengals, I grew up liking the Vikings, Rams, Cardinals, and Buccaneers, because of their uniforms.  

Like others have already said, today I actively root against teams with bad uniforms and for the same reason others gave:  I don't want bad designs to get permanent placement with a franchise because they were successful in them.  (Patriots, for example)

Some of my fellow Bengals fans would hate on me for saying this, but I hope they don't win anything in the current uniforms, because we'd be stuck with these clown suits to infinity if they did.  So, I don't "hate" the Bengals because of their uniforms, but they're certainly much harder to root for with them, just as the Reds were during their horrible BFBS vested era 1999-2006.

1 hour ago, ScubaSteve said:

Isn't this contradictory?

yes, let me re-phrase that. 

i don't like the Patriots as a team, but that doesn't keep me from realizing their uniform is OK and has some nice details (red mask). Im a Colts fan, but that doesn't mean i think their uniform is perfect (i'd like to have sock stripes back). the teams themselves don't effect my opinion on their design, which is what i was trying to say. but i don't wish for poorly designed uniforms/logos to have any success. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

This is actually why I adopted the mets and flyers as secondary teams because of how much I like their uniforms. On the other hand I don't hate teams like the patriots or the Seahawks. I do however, hate their uniforms and it sucks because they will have these unis because of their sucess despite, having far superior sets during their dark ages. The packers, bears and lions all have great uniforms but, I still hate them since they are division rivals so I can't go fully for uniforms.

Its completely arbitrary. It's just a bunch of colours and shapes. 

Anybody who puts more value in this kind of stuff beyond just a casual appreciation and enjoyment at seeing something nicely designed needs to have their world perspective realigned.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

2 hours ago, Bayne said:

Anybody who puts more value in this kind of stuff beyond just a casual appreciation and enjoyment at seeing something nicely designed needs to have their world perspective realigned.

So exactly what part of sports loyalty isn't "completely arbitrary"?

I'm not sure how someone cheering for a team based on colors and shapes is any less logical than doing it because some billionaire put a nearby cities' name on their shirts.

6 hours ago, Bayne said:

some are more sensitive to the appearence of the world than others. thats why we have artists and designers. or musicians, chefs, and poets. but it's human nature to judge our surroundings by appearence. you wouldn't eat a black banana or drink yellow water right? every color, shape, sound, and taste around us forces us to make a judgement on it. this includes packaging at the grocery store, the clothes we buy, and even uniforms which are designed not inly for recognition and distinction, but to make the wearer feel good and prideful- or sometimes invinsible and brave. all that happens with shape and color

GRAPHIC ARTIST

When I was a kid, I became a Yankee fan mainly because of their being my hometown team with a great history; but their beautiful uniforms made that feeling more intense.

I adopted the A's as my second team purely on the strength of those gorgeous mid-1970s uniforms. And I gravitated towards the Giants also out of interest in the uniforms (which at the time had the cool inverted pattern of orange-in-black lettering). When I later learnt of the Giants' history here in New York and the A's history in Philadelphia, I liked those teams even more; but it began with the uniforms.

And when the Blue Jays came out, their uniforms made them impossible not to love.  

So, when I was a baseball fan (before they ruined the whole thing with interleague play) I would wear hats only from those four teams, and no others.

I cared less about football and basketball; but I did follow them.  And I picked the Giants and Nets because of their uniforms (probably influenced also by the fact that the Giants played at Yankee Stadium).

When the Giants switched to the 1975 NY logo, I was so happy.  I got pajamas with that logo, and I sometimes wore the pajama top as a regular shirt.  Their ditching of that logo after only one year really disappointed me.

The Nets retained their uniforms after their move to New Jersey, with the exception of a couple of years with a different, yet not unattractive, design. The uncreative set of the early 1990s cooled my interest a bit; but they brought me right back with the great late-1990s set that they wore through to the move out of New Jersey. My distaste for their current uniforms (apart from the alts that evoke the 1970s design) has eroded my desire to watch any basketball.

So I can say that uniforms have always played a huge role in determining which teams I like. This was sometimes true even when the identities of the teams in question conflicted with other concerns that are important to me, even deeply-held ideological ones -- which explains my support in the mid-1980s for the Padres and the New Jersey Generals. (The arrivals of Gossage, Nettles, and Flutie subsequently reinforced my feelings towards those teams.)

Indeed, nowadays my interest in any of these three sports is limited to the uniforms. I tend not to care who wins or loses, except insofar as a team's success or lack thereof influences its decision to retain or drop a particular uniform style.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

A sport and fashion are two very separate things. You root for the team, it's players, and your cities pride, not for what they're wearing. Sport loyalty based on design is utter nonsense. This is unless you became a fan when you were a child and remained loyal.

this thread has reminded me of when i became a football fan. specifically, a fan of the Dallas Cowboys. i thought their silver helmet with the blue star and bold stripes was the best looking in the league, and so i was hooked. (until they ran off three consecutive 5-win seasons. i had to jump ship)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived