Do you hate/like teams because of their uniforms

smzimbabwe

20 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

A sport and fashion are two very separate things. You root for the team, it's players, and your cities pride, not for what they're wearing. Sport loyalty based on design is utter nonsense. This is unless you became a fan when you were a child and remained loyal.

Deciding what should be important to other people is what's "utter nonsense".

Please explain to me how an appealing visual presentation is less adult than "city pride"... just typing those words made me feel 12.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Deciding what should be important to other people is what's "utter nonsense".

Please explain to me how an appealing visual presentation is less adult than "city pride"... just typing those words made me feel 12.

If you don't understand aesthetic appreciation vs loyal, fan passion for a team I can't help you. 

Design will certainly affect how I feel about teams I would otherwise be neutral about. 

I have no reason to hate or like the Padres, but I would have stronger positive feelings about them if they just committed to brown and gold.  

As it is, I just want MLB to put them out of their misery as a franchise.

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Design will certainly affect how I feel about teams I would otherwise be neutral about. 

I have no reason to hate or like the Padres, but I would have stronger positive feelings about them if they just committed to brown and gold.  

How passionate of a fan can you really be though if it's only based on a design? Positive feelings and being a passionate fan aren't the same thing.

16 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

If you don't understand aesthetic appreciation vs loyal, fan passion for a team I can't help you. 

Even as a proud New Yorker, I recognise that local pride is only one of several (equally irrational) reasons to support a team.  

The Raiders have plenty more fans who support them on account of their uniforms than fans who support them on account of local pride.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Yes but no I guess. Uniforms add to my liking or distaste for a team, yet not a deciding factor no.

Some unis I've hated since my youth... i.e. like toys I would never play with if they were the only ones left in the box...

Minnesota Vikings

Calgary Stampeders

Milwaukee Bucks

Philadelphia Phillies

& as others have mentioned, if an expansion team launches with a nice branding, I can empathize with them better... like the Jaguars, Magic, & Sharks.  Or not - Vegas Golden Knights.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

1 hour ago, daniel75 said:

How passionate of a fan can you really be though if it's only based on a design? Positive feelings and being a passionate fan aren't the same thing.

that sounds exactly the same to me.

. . . unless you're a masochist  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

3 hours ago, daniel75 said:

I reread my original post and I don't feel like I need to clarify or reword anything.

I will generally "like" a team because of their uniforms but mostly in the sense that if they're not playing my favorite teams or one of my team's rivals, I will generally root for them in a neutral game. Like take a game between the Vikings and Lions. I have no particularly strong feelings for either team, in either direction, but I will root for the Vikings in this matchup because I like their uniforms better (it's probably just because of the purple).

In addition, just because I hate a team, does not mean I hate their uniforms. I absolutely detest the Celtics, Eagles, Giants, Redskins, Packers and Steelers. However, I do quite like their uniforms, or elements of it. The Celtics home and away's are gorgeous. The Eagles and Redskins have fantastic helmets. The Giants away uniform set is among my favorite in the NFL, top 5 for me personally. I love the Steelers color scheme and their black and gold color rush jersey. Plus the Packers have a solid and classic, uniform set. 

On a side note, my hatred of the Celtics and Eagles have caused me to never wear the color green. It's literally the one color that I can't stand. I actually don't even have any articles of clothing with the color green. Seriously.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

On 10/03/2017 at 3:54 PM, Yippy said:

I stopped liking the Ducks when they dropped the Mighty and switched to their current identity. Doesn't even feel like the same franchise to me anymore. 

Speaking as a Ducks fan, I totally get this.

That logo drew me to the team, nay, to hockey itself. And before I ever got a chance to actually go to a game (being an overseas fan makes this a complicated and expensive ordeal) they threw it all out and became something else entirely. My very reason for being drawn to this team was no longer there. But being the stubborn git that I am, I stuck with them anyway. Despite everything they were still the Ducks, and switching my allegiance to another team then just wouldn't have felt right. A little over ten years after the rebrand, I've grown to like the D-foot logo enough, but it still doesn't quite feel "right". And this is something I flip-flop on all the damn time.

In the last decade I've had some fond memories of this team. The Stanley Cup championship. Staying up until 3am watching live streams of games. Seeing my first live game, albeit in Stockholm rather than at the Pond. That time I went to LA for a vacation and went out of my way to visit the Pond even though the Ducks had already been eliminated by Nashville. The odd occasion where I've run into a fellow fan over here. And one of my fondest: Throwback Night. Then they finally reintroduce the Mighty Ducks logo into the identity by way of shoulder patches and then a third jersey all to itself. Pretty much a perfect uniform that combines the best of both worlds. But the recent news of third jerseys taking a year off and the Ducks' lack of enthusiasm for promoting this thing and this general feeling of mixed messages and having a carrot dangled before me is killing my enthusiasm.

As of late I'm having a hard enough time keeping track of them as is. But if they're about to throw that logo out again, I'm prepared to move on.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

So exactly what part of sports loyalty isn't "completely arbitrary"?

I'm not sure how someone cheering for a team based on colors and shapes is any less logical than doing it because some billionaire put a nearby cities' name on their shirts.

Umm...sure there are other legitimate arbitrary factors that are present when it comes to finding things to rationale why you have a certain allegiance to a sporting team, but there are many other things which aren't. Generational, geographical, emotional, cultural etc. Me being a fan of the teams I support does not come down to any of the arbitrary factors one of which is the colours and logo they they chose to adorn. 

6 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

some are more sensitive to the appearence of the world than others. thats why we have artists and designers. or musicians, chefs, and poets. but it's human nature to judge our surroundings by appearence. you wouldn't eat a black banana or drink yellow water right? every color, shape, sound, and taste around us forces us to make a judgement on it. this includes packaging at the grocery store, the clothes we buy, and even uniforms which are designed not inly for recognition and distinction, but to make the wearer feel good and prideful- or sometimes invinsible and brave. all that happens with shape and color

Yes, valid. I definitely am one of the more sensitive receivers of sports design but that does not influence me when it comes to the fundamental aspect of why we watch sport which is the game itself. The aesthetics are just incidental. Anyone who uses the design employed by a team to dictate to whom and where your fandom is directed is either only watching the sport as a vessel to observe and critique the teams' designs themselves or is in fact (like stated earlier) 12 years or younger.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

47 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

Speaking as a Ducks fan, I totally get this.

That logo drew me to the team, nay, to hockey itself. And before I ever got a chance to actually go to a game (being an overseas fan makes this a complicated and expensive ordeal) they threw it all out and became something else entirely. My very reason for being drawn to this team was no longer there. But being the stubborn git that I am, I stuck with them anyway. Despite everything they were still the Ducks, and switching my allegiance to another team then just wouldn't have felt right. A little over ten years after the rebrand, I've grown to like the D-foot logo enough, but it still doesn't quite feel "right". And this is something I flip-flop on all the damn time.

In the last decade I've had some fond memories of this team. The Stanley Cup championship. Staying up until 3am watching live streams of games. Seeing my first live game, albeit in Stockholm rather than at the Pond. That time I went to LA for a vacation and went out of my way to visit the Pond even though the Ducks had already been eliminated by Nashville. The odd occasion where I've run into a fellow fan over here. And one of my fondest: Throwback Night. Then they finally reintroduce the Mighty Ducks logo into the identity by way of shoulder patches and then a third jersey all to itself. Pretty much a perfect uniform that combines the best of both worlds. But the recent news of third jerseys taking a year off and the Ducks' lack of enthusiasm for promoting this thing and this general feeling of mixed messages and having a carrot dangled before me is killing my enthusiasm.

As of late I'm having a hard enough time keeping track of them as is. But if they're about to throw that logo out again, I'm prepared to move on.

That's gotta be terrible as an actual fan of the team. I was never a legit 'fan' because I live on the east coast and naturally am a Ranger fan. However, the Mighty ducks got my older brothers into playing hockey and it rubbed off on me. I have fond memories of my parents buying us mighty ducks jerseys one year for Christmas. I remember going to a game against the Mighty ducks and wore my mighty ducks jersey instead of my Rangers one to the game even though I was rooting for the Rangers.  The excitement of seeing the Ducks in their eggplants in real life and the Rangers winning made for an amazing experience. 

I was so disappointed when they rebranded and couldn't get into their cup run. Haven't cared about them at all since, but I did tune in a few years ago for their throwback game. I'm still not 100% sold on their third jerseys and really wish they'd go back to their original look but oh well. Go Rangers :)

3 hours ago, Bayne said:

Umm...sure there are other legitimate arbitrary factors that are present when it comes to finding things to rationale why you have a certain allegiance to a sporting team, but there are many other things which aren't. Generational, geographical, emotional, cultural etc. Me being a fan of the teams I support does not come down to any of the arbitrary factors one of which is the colours and logo they they chose to adorn. 

Yes, valid. I definitely am one of the more sensitive receivers of sports design but that does not influence me when it comes to the fundamental aspect of why we watch sport which is the game itself. The aesthetics are just incidental. Anyone who uses the design employed by a team to dictate to whom and where your fandom is directed is either only watching the sport as a vessel to observe and critique the teams' designs themselves or is in fact (like stated earlier) 12 years or younger.

mark me down as 12

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I started my Seahawks fandom due in big part to my love of their colors and uniforms. They presently have their worst look ever but my allegiance hasn't wavered. If uniforms/logos/colors of teams have no effect on you and your (dis)like of teams, they why even join a board like this?

On 11/03/2017 at 11:53 AM, Ice_Cap said:

Honestly, this. 

If im a fan, I'm a fan and it has nothing to do with what they're wearing. 

If i hate a team, I hate them despite what they're wearing.

If i dont care about you, I'll go on uniform. Also will cheer for the white/ grey team, if a team is wearing a coloured alt. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

7 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Honestly, this. 

If im a fan, I'm a fan and it has nothing to do with what they're wearing. 

If i hate a team, I hate them despite what they're wearing.

If i dont care about you, I'll go on uniform. Also will cheer for the white/ grey team, if a team is wearing a coloured alt. 

Sad!

(joking btw)

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The teams I have always liked, I will always like, regardless of a logo change. If i'm just on the couch watching a game between two teams I don't have an interest in, then I'll root for the team with colors that I prefer. 

When I was younger I was much more influenced by teams colors though. I became a huge Eagles fan because of their helmets.

Archived