Best mlb uniforms

Rj0498

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

IMG_9561.JPG

Someone just mistakenly put this in the "worst MLB uniforms" thread, so I moved it here.

All of these are excellent...probably better without the anniversary patch under the logo, too.

9388242998_b18514324e_o.png

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/17/2017 at 3:05 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

IMG_9561.JPG

Someone just mistakenly put this in the "worst MLB uniforms" thread, so I moved it here.

3 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

That front number placement bugs me though.

I'd probably agree, but it's a fairly minor quibble.

That color scheme on a sunny summer day? Beautiful enough to bring you to tears.

In order...

Major-League-Baseball-Texas-Rangers-at-N

Noah_Syndergaard,_Jacob_deGrom_and_Matt_

QONISG.jpg

186378606.jpg

team.jpg

805d3d9848f7c996df6d1fa00dee1904.jpg

yordano-ventura-mlb-al-wild-card-oakland

Los+Angeles+Dodgers+v+St+Louis+Cardinals

Sean+Rodriguez+Pittsburgh+Pirates+Photo+

los-angeles-dodgers-tickets.e38949a3574e

Honorable Mentions: Tigers current, Homerdome Twins, Giants current, Big Red Machine

On 3/12/2017 at 3:25 AM, Cujo said:

No. No it's a disaster.

Just like the Dallas Cowboys with their 99 variations of silver, the mismatching NYs only get the "legendary" label because they Yankees have won a boatload of titles while wearing them. If a team started up today and pulled this crap, everyone on the boards would be having a heart attack.

On 3/16/2017 at 0:46 AM, Cujo said:

Not to mention the Yankees primary logo, which is 100% red & royal --- two colors which appear NOWHERE ON THEIR UNIFORM.

Their entire identity is basically a steaming pile of hot garbage, masked by the radiating beam of 27 championship rings.

Yankees+Bicentenial+Logo.png

Huh...  Well... considering you've had everything rationally explained to you and your reaction was simply... "No.", it seems you're just enjoying being contrarian.

There's a difference between "Screw the rules, I have rings" and grandfather clause.  The primary is from an era where primary logo wasn't always directly translated to the uniform.  It's also at a time when the primary logo was an art form before teams decided to just get lazy and slap their cap logos out there.  Even today, it's not the only logo to feature a color or element that doesn't show elsewhere.

spacer.png

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Huh...  Well... considering you've had everything rationally explained to you and your reaction was simply... "No.", it seems you're just enjoying being contrarian.

There's a difference between "Screw the rules, I have rings" and grandfather clause.  The primary is from an era where primary logo wasn't always directly translated to the uniform.  It's also at a time when the primary logo was an art form before teams decided to just get lazy and slap their cap logos out there.  Even today, it's not the only logo to feature a color or element that doesn't show elsewhere.

Exactly.

I'll be the first to admit - the Yankees' primary logo is a bit of an anachronism from a previous era, and isn't really cohesive with the rest of the identity. At this juncture, though, it's so tangential to the Yankees' identity, though, that it's been unofficially sidelined to being a minor secondary logo. The Yankees almost never use it in their marketing materials, and have minimized its usage at the Stadium. It's kind of like those scenarios in the NBA where teams didn't want to pay the fee to change their primary logo, so they sidelined it in favor of a secondary logo in their marketing materials. In fairness, many baseball teams have taken that approach with more dated primary logos - the A's, Mariners, Orioles, and pre-2009 Red Sox all come to mind. I suppose, at least in the Yankees case, it's a desire to hold on to a traditional logo that otherwise doesn't fit within the team's modern identity.

Honestly, I'd be fine with the Yankees dropping the top hat logo, at this point. Or perhaps recoloring it to be primarily blue (though the stripes on the hat and the seams on the ball should absolutely remain red, given that it's an Uncle Sam hat modeled after the flag, and a baseball, which has red seams in reality). The top hat logo serves little purpose at this juncture, and can be formally replaced with the print NY, IMO.

In terms of the uniforms themselves, and the so-called "mismatching NYs"? As said before, each one looks best in its respective application. It works beautifully as it is. They don't need to match, and frankly, using an identical logo in all three applications would look terrible.

19 hours ago, insert name said:

Because they're ugly. 

Agreed. As much as I love the green/yellow color combination, monochrome yellow is a bit much. However, I absolutely love the socks.

You just made the Iron List!!

Iron List.png

3 minutes ago, Ark said:

I really like the We Are Family era Pirates, but this is objectively the best Pirates uniform and it makes no sense that they aren't wearing it now with a road version. 

n6WZOPJ.jpg?1

It seems like public favor for vests is cyclical. I actually wonder if the WBC jerseys mean it might be coming back around.

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Easily. Teal is still very prominent, but not as all-consuming as it was on the previous set. They never should have changed. 

They never wore a teal uniform aside from spring training, right?

I agree that the color balance is nice. Between this and 2012 they kept hammering away the teal, and by the end they were way too black-heavy. I'd like the '97 unis with a teal alternate cap and shirt, and the '93 teal-sleeved golf-looking alt for Sunday home games.

6 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I agree that the color balance is nice. Between this and 2012 they kept hammering away the teal, and by the end they were way too black-heavy. I'd like the '97 unis with a teal alternate cap and shirt, and the '93 teal-sleeved golf-looking alt for Sunday home games.

"golf-looking alt":

ce1tnw7xve5iuplze7uixyr08.gif

I wouldn't call this "best", but I think it's an underrated uniform from an otherwise terrible set:

3221575.jpg

Nice grey cap, nice bright shade of blue on the logo. Take this and build around it, emphasizing the blue and grey instead of the black (and don't darken the blue like they did), and you have a solid set. As it was, though, they were the "Blue Jays" but never had a single blue hat or shirt in this set, which is dumb.

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Also the black alt with silver script. Definitely want to have that one too.

On 3/17/2017 at 3:05 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

IMG_9561.JPG

The Athletics have beautiful colors, classic clean jerseys, and a solid logo set. So many of their uniforms have been hits. These, however, are a :censored:ing travesty. Yellow pants, terrible number placement, unnecessary vest, overall dated look. And hell it even features what might be their worst possible cap. Awful. All opinion of course, but awful.

Archived