CHL All-Star Showdown

NoE38_Concepts

This was my entry into HockeyJerseyConcepts' Pairs Competition. I teamed up with one of their former writers, William, and we decided to do a CHL version of an all-star weekend as the top prospects game could be better organized and an all-star weekend could help young players get ready to compete at the NHL level. For the location, We decided on Calgary as it has a rich hockey heritage and it hasn't hosted a major event since I believe the 1988 Olympics. The competition will be a 3-on-3 tournament like the NHL, with 4 teams: The OHL, QMJHL, WHL, and a team of players under 17 years (Nicknamed the 'Young Guns'). For the full presentation click here.

The main logo (Designed by William, not me. Mods, please tell me if it isn't properly credited) takes the shape of a maple leaf and a star to show the event is truly international. The font and cowboy hat reflect Calgary's western heritage, and the Calgary Tower and red colors display city pride.

2zoi43a.png

My main part of the project was jersey design. Each of the designs is inspired by the respective league's logo. Each jersey has the same basic pattern; a chest stripe, cuffs, and a shoulder yoke.

OHL:

11wav6d.png

QMJHL:

33capvm.png

WHL:

2ceog8n.png

Young Guns:

mn1dfk.png

C&C is appreciated!

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

I think the jerseys were done really well, and had the Pairs Comp been a competition of only jerseys, this would've had a real shot.

The logo seems like a good idea, but the text is what kills it for me. It seems like a generic font that's just kind of thrown in. The tower in the back that's hard to see overcomplicates things a bit, too.

The star/leaf/cowboy hat was really good, though. That part of it is really well executed, and is genius.

The jerseys are definitely the stronger side of this. I especially like the OHL's, because you incorporated the stripes of the logo in it. Nice job with those.

45 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

I think the jerseys were done really well, and had the Pairs Comp been a competition of only jerseys, this would've had a real shot.

The logo seems like a good idea, but the text is what kills it for me. It seems like a generic font that's just kind of thrown in. The tower in the back that's hard to see overcomplicates things a bit, too.

The star/leaf/cowboy hat was really good, though. That part of it is really well executed, and is genius.

The jerseys are definitely the stronger side of this. I especially like the OHL's, because you incorporated the stripes of the logo in it. Nice job with those.

Thanks! I agree about the logo. It just needs some fine-tuning and it would look spectacular. I also agree about the OHL. It's my favourite of the bunch.

8 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

I love all the jerseys, but the Young Guns set doesn't match the logo.  I'd rework that mark.

Yeah, I only had time to do it the day before the deadline, so I sort of rushed it. I wanted the jersey to stay just green and gold, but if I had extra time, I would have added black. For the striping pattern, I most likely would have used the two green stripes, but that was already in use by the QMJHL, and I wanted each league to be different.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Archived