Returning to the retro or faux-retro looks

Ben in LA

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

The annoying part about those NFL uniforms is that all those uniforms are just basically variations of one another with different coloring. 

Are you talking about the images I just posted? Because if you are, you're wrong.  You could possibly say that about the Browns and the Dolphins (that is, if you ignore numerous smaller details) but all the others are pretty much completely different.  That Chargers uniform, especially, looks like nothing else in the history of football.

17 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Two Dc teams that make a call back to their 70s roots at the expense of already awesome looks.

espnapi_nba_g_beal_wall_jv_576x324_wmain.jpg

Washington-Capitals-Team-Signed-Photo.jpg

Personally, I think these are two of my favorite changes over the last decade. I did not care for either's previous look.

I love the return to the retro/faux-back looks, and would love for more teams to embrace and return to their traditional looks. That is not to say all should, just those whom have downgraded. 

As I do an unscientific look into the teams who have made the switch back, I think a lot of the teams were those who rode the 90s/early 2000s design wave. The Sixers, Wizards, Hornets (not sure if this one really counts), Caps, Kings, Suns, Padres, Sabres, Blue Jays, Jazz and Hawks all come to mind, and I believe are all we're upgrades. 

I have a question. Would the Golden State logo be a faux-back? It's not a copy of a previous logo, but they brought back the traditional blue and gold, and used a roundel with a bridge, very much updated (not even the same bridge). Maybe it's a faux-inspiration. 

I think Golden State counts as well.  Not the exact same logo, but it was definitely inspired by one from the past.  Same with the Wiz and the Caps (both I love).  Hell, throw the Leafs in there as well.

I guess I'm a sucker for tradition.  I'd love the Angels to go back to their late 80s/early 90s look.  Even their pre-Disney look was inspired by their late 60s look.

IMG_3241.JPG

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

2 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I think Golden State counts as well.  Not the exact same logo, but it was definitely inspired by one from the past.  Same with the Wiz and the Caps (both I love).  Hell, throw the Leafs in there as well.

I guess I'm a sucker for tradition.  I'd love the Angels to go back to their late 80s/early 90s look.  Even their pre-Disney look was inspired by their late 60s look.

IMG_3241.JPG

I love this look too and I think they should either go back to this look or add more blue to their uniforms. It adds a lot to their look and makes sense. A team called the angels shouldn't wear so much red.

1 minute ago, Rj0498 said:

I love this look too and I think they should either go back to this look or add more blue to their uniforms. It adds a lot to their look and makes sense. A team called the angels shouldn't wear so much red.

...unless they're not the good kind of angels. ;)

20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I don't see a problem with angels wearing red. 

a1847629f99e01198c85270333638b47.jpgArchangel_Michael_and_City_of_Archangel.640px-Vitrail_Florac_010609_05_St_Michelarchangel-raphael-and-tobias1.jpg

Good point but, whenever people think of angels they don't exactly think of red. they think of like powder blue or gold. Red imo fits more with demons or the devil.

There are way too many teams with blue-crowned caps. The Angels can be the AL navy/red team that uses red caps/sleeves/belts/socks, while the Twins use navy caps/accessories (with red as a minor accent color), the Red Sox split the difference on both uniforms (navy caps and belts, with red sleeves and striped socks), and the Indians alternate on their home and road uniforms (red at home, navy on the road). If none of those teams can outright change their color schemes, that's the best course of action.

7 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Good point but, whenever people think of angels they don't exactly think of red. they think of like powder blue or gold. Red imo fits more with demons or the devil.

Yes, but that ignorance is not the team's fault, nor should they bow to it. 

I'd say (like I've said before) I just want some color back in sports. All the dark or muted colors has made everyone look the same. I like everything Old School vikings posted above this one. As far as the Brewers, I don't mind the ball in glove, but give me some royal blue and yellow. M's look great, the best they have ever looked. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

12 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

Agreed.  I realize Arte loves the red, but it's starting to become an identity that says "Even with an owner that has money and a decent payroll we're still not that good."

Bring back the navy.  Ben in LA's pic of that uniform makes it look pretty awesome.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yes, but that ignorance is not the team's fault, nor should they bow to it. 

True dat. Management can do what they want with the color red but, their usage of it is overbearing to the point of where their uniforms look kind of ugly (especially their alts). The point I am making is that I think they should use more blue or add in gold to make it a little more unique

3 hours ago, Rj0498 said:

True dat. Management can do what they want with the color red but, their usage of it is overbearing to the point of where their uniforms look kind of ugly (especially their alts). The point I am making is that I think they should use more blue or add in gold to make it a little more unique

Fair enough.   But that's a totally different issue.  

On 3/18/2017 at 7:28 PM, Ray Lankford said:

I think it's good for teams like the Sixers or Astros, who downgraded, but it becomes a problem with a team like the Mariners, who look the best they've ever looked but still let themselves get infected by nostalgia.

Agreed. For a 90s redesign, they nailed it. They have honed in on their identity and I hope to continue seeing it generations from now. 

The M-trident and all that bright blue/yellow just isn't them anymore. Let the brewers continue to play with that color scheme since they have no idea who they are anymore. 

Archived