Lights Out's College Basketball Concepts: Arkansas, Michigan State

Lights Out

March Madness has got me back in a concept-making mood, so here's a few college hoops concepts. I will probably follow these up with at least a few more teams in the near future.

S188qXi.png

For Auburn, I decided to use a modernized take on their traditional Northwestern stripes as side panels and bring back their custom font.

mdrQeYE.png

For Butler, I took their mid-'90s uniforms and modernized them a bit. Ideally, Butler would wear navy on the road most of the time, but since black road uniforms seem to be a Butler tradition, I gave them that option as well.

t0f1Clu.png

For Nebraska, I based my concept off the uniforms that the Polish Rifle wore, albeit with their distinctive classic script instead of plain block wordmarks and all the silver trim taken out. I also added side striping based on the pants stripes from these football uniforms, which I thought were pretty clever.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

There's some great stuff here!

I really love Nebraska. Great call on both the stripes and the wordmarks. That's a look they could wear for years.

Butler is close, but something's just a little off for me. I'm not sure what, but I think it may be the numbers on the shorts; they seem just kind of tossed in to fill the space. Otherwise, Butler's just about there. The script and numbers look great.

And Auburn is good. I don't know that modernizing the side panel stripes are all that necessary (regular stripes down the side would work great), but it all still came out good.

Looking forwards to more!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Auburn: While I'm personally not crazy about Auburn's wordmark and number fonts, this design at least feels clean, modern, and consistent with their brand.

Butler: This is an incredible concept! I didn't remember those mid-'90s uniforms, but this is a FLAWLESS modernization. One of my favorite concepts I've seen in quite a while.

Nebraska: Nebraska's scripts are two of my all-time favorites, so I'm a big fan of this concept for that reason alone. When Adidas used those scripts the uniforms were too cluttered and mismatched; here, I feel like the mismatching has been replaced with some much-needed consistency, but all of the striping still feels a bit cluttered. I think without the striping along the side panels these uniforms would be even better.

Awesome work so far -- can't wait to see more!

These are all nice...

Auburn looks great...I am a block number fan, but otherwise, this is just a simple, classic uniform using the simple, classic colors in perfect balance.

Butler looks good, though I can't support the use of black unless I am mistaken and it is a school color.  I was in college when those asymmetrical stripes were in and I have a soft spot for them.  You've improved the heck out of the mid-90s crap you started with.

With Nebraska, I am sure I am in the minority in not liking that script.  These would be solid, if unspectacular, with a more traditional script.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

LtdQuHS.png

For Creighton, I spiced up their bland look with some blue Irish Rainbow-esque striping and a much-needed powder blue alternate.

vZsBMSx.png

Clemson gets a simple, clean and classy look based on the iconic striping from their football helmets. Clemson basketball may not play like the national champs, but they can at least dress like them!

riStUFS.png

I like Syracuse's current uniforms for the most part, so I didn't want to change them too much. The biggest change here is the long-awaited return of the Syracuse script font. I know Syracuse loves to use their custom block font everywhere (except for football, strangely), but let's be real - you can't beat that script. The second-biggest change is the elimination of navy as a secondary color. Syracuse basketball has been trending towards being an orange-and-white-only team for a while now, and it's a change I support. It looks good, and now that they're in the ACC, dumping the navy separates them from Virginia and (to a degree) Clemson. Given that the only navy remaining on their current uniforms are the thin outlines on the numbers and shorts logos, most fans probably wouldn't even realize it was gone. I also added some contrasting trim to the jerseys so they wouldn't look so plain, and threw in a throwback to the days of Billy Owens and Derrick Coleman as an alternate.

xLmjWVv.png

Clemson is flawless.  It's a basic design but the school colors make it better than basic.

I like the "blue rainbow" design a lot.  My favorite of the three uniforms is the light blue and that's partly because of the contrast between the number, the jersey and the outline colors (though it's also because it's just really, really sharp).  The number outlines are just a bit muddy on the other jerseys.  Maybe a light blue outline on the dark blue jersey?  Not sure what to do whit the home jersey.

Syracuse is a tough one.  I tend to be open to two-color jerseys, but ultimately, I think i like the white alt best and feel there should be blue on the uniforms.  I'd consider going the other way...primaries based on the jersey on the right and an alt with no blue (which works since they are the "Orange."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think you hit two home runs and a triple here. Creighton and Clemson are stunning, but Syracuse needs just a pinch of navy trim. The simple orange and white looks better suited for (and reminded me first of) Texas or Tennessee. However, the core of the design is totally there. Just a spritz of navy and you've got it.

Youre really cranking out some good work in this series, great job!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Ae0NKVu.png

Baylor gets a simple look with a nod to the bear claws on their football jerseys. They also return to their actual school colors - no more neon!

hKW5oNE.png

West Virginia returns to their Marcus Goree-era uniforms, since I think it was the best they ever looked.

Adamprn.png

Duke's current uniforms are okay, but extremely bland. There's no collar or armhole trim and the thinly-outlined side panels are barely visible from far away. To freshen up their look, I gave them a custom wordmark/number font to match their logo (which would ideally be standardized across their whole athletic department) and brought back the side panels that players like Chris Carrawell, Elton Brand and Shane Battier wore. I also gave them a throwback to Coach K's very first team at Duke.

xLmjWVv.png

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Ae0NKVu.png

Baylor gets a simple look with a nod to the bear claws on their football jerseys. They also return to their actual school colors - no more neon!

hKW5oNE.png

West Virginia returns to their Marcus Goree-era uniforms, since I think it was the best they ever looked.

Adamprn.png

Duke's current uniforms are okay, but extremely bland. There's no collar or armhole trim and the thinly-outlined side panels are barely visible from far away. To freshen up their look, I gave them a custom wordmark/number font to match their logo (which would ideally be standardized across their whole athletic department) and brought back the side panels that players like Chris Carrawell, Elton Brand and Shane Battier wore. I also gave them a throwback to Coach K's very first team at Duke.

Love these 

Creighton: Beautiful -- the triple blue color palette works very well here.

Clemson: Like you said, this is simple, clean, and classy. I'm a huge fan of the purple alternates.

Syracuse: I love the 'Syracuse' script, but the 'Orange' one isn't nearly as iconic to me and doesn't work as well....I think the 'Syracuse' script on all three uniforms might work a little better. Also, judging by how much I like the alternates, I don't think I'm in favor of eliminating navy from their color palette.

Rhode Island: I honestly can't tell whether or not the effect works, but this is a very cool concept! The thought process behind it is very neat.

Baylor: This would be an incredible upgrade for them! The elimination of any and all volt is absolutely necessary, and everything from the fonts to the striping is about as good as it gets.

West Virginia: These are perfect -- everything about them. The color balance really makes them pop, and my favorite subtle detail is how the side panel runs perfectly parallel to the left side of the letter 'V' in 'Virginia.' Excellent job on these.

Duke: I'm not a fan of the font switch -- nothing wrong with this uniforms, but I'm personally in the camp that believes their uniforms are too iconic to change.

More outstanding work!

I love the striping and claws on Baylor, the women's team already has claws on their shorts and the men should definitely follow suit. I'm not that big of a fan of that gold they use in football but I also don't like their basketball neon. I think it would look nice with their traditional yellow gold.

IMG_8337.JPG

And heres and awesome photo

IMG_8199.JPG

Excellent!

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

JkSC13A.png

Notre Dame gets an appropriately classy look with an Uncial font and a Gaelic knot pattern running down the side panels.

D1bXxcB.png

I like Villanova's late-'90s uniforms with maroon trim worked in here and there. I also like their current uniforms. So I tried to blend them together, and here's the result.

Always liked seeing notre dame in gold, and also count me in on liking Villanova's unique jerseys from the 90's that set them apart from other double blue teams

a5yZaEG.png

Florida gets a set that's based on their iconic football uniforms. I've done several basketball-inspired concepts for Florida's football team over the years (some I haven't posted on here), so I might as well try the same thing in reverse.

p4QPUkR.png

For South Carolina, I liked their first Under Armour set, so I took those and tweaked the trim and side panels a bit.

xLmjWVv.png

2nb6ayw.jpg

Arkansas' regular uniforms are a modernized update of their national championship set, with the side stripes now appearing on both sides of the uniform. The Razorbacks also get a throwback to the uniforms worn by the great Sidney Moncrief.

fdrm9w.jpg

Michigan State gets an updated version of their late-'90s wordmark and side striping based on their current shorts. They also get a remixed throwback: the uniform that Magic wore and the script that Scott Skiles wore are blended together to create a fresh take on an old classic.

xLmjWVv.png

Arkansas is perfect. You nailed 'em. 

I want to like Michigan State, but that wordmark is just a bit too cluttered. It's a little bit of both the bronze border and just the overall design of it that just makes it look like a huge patch rather than a clean script. If you really want to go that route though, I'd take off the "Michigan" part and just have it say "State". "State" is associative enough with Sparty that I don't think it'd be a problem, and I think it'd look a whole lot cleaner. Other than that though, the rest of the design is looking great! 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived