I'm a professional Graphic Designer of sports things; AMA

BrandMooreArt

9 hours ago, StaatsBrett said:

Your answers have been really helpful I'm going to be at El classico Miami.  (Go real Madrid )   are you looking forward to seeing how the city & state  has to offer for potentially a wc bid?  Also isn't their a tarp for the canes games btw are you a  season ticket holder?

im excited for Clasico for sure. im not a soccer fan at all, but we've gotten to work on so much of the creative/marketing for the game its forced me to learn about the rivalry and history. its crazy to think about how small the NFL fanbase is compared to those two teams alone. the Dolphins have 796K twitter followers; Madrid has 22.6M! its a whole different level of sport. i hope you enjoy the game, i'll probably be there editing photos. 

i haven't heard anything about a WC bid, but i assume that is a possibility if El Clasico goes well. 

for the Canes games, do you mean a tarp for their stadium branding? they have a bunch of vinyl tarps they drape over the walls and ring of honor for their games. they try to make it look as much like a U game as possible. i do get tickets to Canes and Dolphins games, but i never made it to one last year. i work each Dolphins home game, but i just never felt like taking in a U game. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

for the Canes games, do you mean a tarp for their stadium branding? they have a bunch of vinyl tarps 

I was thinking this 

sun-life-university-of-miami.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4gh4ZhB.png http://i.imgur.com/DmN6VqA.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103365-star-based-championship-signatures-by-request/

4 hours ago, marble21 said:

From what I've seen on your portfolios, posts here and twitter I've seen that you're a big motorsport fan.

• What is your favourite F1 paint job for this coming season? ...and favourite current and all-time F1 drivers?

Also, you have posted about your college education but prior to that what was it that gravitated you towards graphic design? Is there a particular moment or person you remember that inspired you to make this career choice? Has creating logos, uniforms, posters etc. been something you have always had an interest in from an early age?

yea, i love motorsports more than football actually. my favorite 2017 F1 livery is definitely the Toro Rosso; that thing is gorgeous! favorite current driver if i had to choose one would be Hamilton, but i really like Kimi, Ricciardo, and Verstappen too. all-time favorite: 1) Senna 2) Lauda 3) Mika Hakkinen

when i decided to go to college for design, at the time i just felt like it was something i could do even though i didn't really know what it was yet. it was a visual art form of some sort and i just thought i could figure it out along the way. looking back now, i can see i've always had an interest in graphic design. i became a football fan because i liked the helmets and wanted to collect all of those little ones you'd get in a machine for 25cents. i once asked for a Rockies jacket just because i thought purple and black looked really cool. i used to draw sports logos because they interested me in some way; the Hornets was a great character, the Bulls just looked bad ass. a friend of mine once made fun of me because i was "drawing the alphabet" but i was really making my own font. some how it was always there and i didn't know it, but what really inspired me to make the move was my uncle. he had a 1955 Chevy Nomad hotrod and paid me to draw up a bunch of different paint jobs for it. he once said "you need to find a way to do something with your art". lots of people liked the drawings i would do as a kid but he was the only one that really pushed me to pursue it as a career and that was when i realized that was even a possibility. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

1 hour ago, StaatsBrett said:

If you had to pick one thing that the dolphins could change what would it be? 

from an employee perspective? i gave it some more thought after answering what i'd like to see changed in the NFL and i would love to see an apprenticeship program set up. right now each team has the option of hiring interns which usually ends up being a student doing work for the sake of doing work. not that there's no value in that, but i think there could be something where a seasonal intern learns more about the process and conceptual side of design rather than just the building of materials. i'd love to have someone here we could bring into certain meetings and brainstorm sessions and have them involved in the very beginnings of a project and seen through to the end. it would be their first real world experience with an actual design brief/project and i think there's so much more to learn about design than what you can do at your desk. in that way it wouldn't be a typical internship but more of an apprenticeship, and not only would those apprentices get much more out of their experience, but any place/team would become somewhere people would really want to go to learn and said place/team would be giving more back to the future design community.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

14 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

LOL, i've been called bad names by both Wolverines and Buckeyes. i learned quickly how serious this rivalry is, like marking out all "M"s from text, or how you could be anywhere in the city and yell out "O! H!" and get a callback. i'm just trying to keep the peace, i love sports but i guess i don't love any college enough to really hate another. :) NFL teams on the other hand. . .

Just between you and me, I don't "hate" Michigan either. And I never will. U of M's surgeons and hospital saved my Dad's life back in 1985. He was diagnosed with cancer and given 6 months to live. The VA set him up with UM in Ann Arbor. Long story short, my Dad died in 2004 from causes entirely unrelated to the cancer. If it hadn't been for the fine folks from Michigan, I don't know if I would have gotten those extra 19 years with my Dad. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand losing to Michigan, but you'll never hear me say I hate Michigan. 

BB52Big.jpg

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i wonder if that's something they're thinking of doing for 2017? maybe they did it last year but i never saw it. it looks really cool, but would suck to be in the stands behind that

It's doubtful the seats behind the sign would be sold.

Hey there!

I recently switched my major to Communications Design (from Kinesiology), but I'm still heavily thinking about the real-world implications of my switch. Right now, I'm struggling between stability and passion for my future, as a Kinesiology major would lead to a stable job that I myself would not have too vested of a passion in while a Communications Design major would lead to a job I'd be very passionate about yet seems a bit unstable.

From the standpoint of a graphic designer, how difficult would it be to get into a graphic design job right out of college, and, if you're at liberty to say it, is a graphic design job fairly stable and financially sustainable? (All this understanding that California may have a different standard of living than in Florida)

I've researched that it's most important to have a portfolio already, and college degrees are more preferred. I already have a Behance up and going for my Snapchat Geofilters, so I guess I might already have an edge there...

My apologies if I'm asking you quite difficult questions, but I certainly appreciate you taking the time to answer them! :)

2 hours ago, TheGiantsFan said:

Hey there!

I recently switched my major to Communications Design (from Kinesiology), but I'm still heavily thinking about the real-world implications of my switch. Right now, I'm struggling between stability and passion for my future, as a Kinesiology major would lead to a stable job that I myself would not have too vested of a passion in while a Communications Design major would lead to a job I'd be very passionate about yet seems a bit unstable.

From the standpoint of a graphic designer, how difficult would it be to get into a graphic design job right out of college, and, if you're at liberty to say it, is a graphic design job fairly stable and financially sustainable? (All this understanding that California may have a different standard of living than in Florida)

I've researched that it's most important to have a portfolio already, and college degrees are more preferred. I already have a Behance up and going for my Snapchat Geofilters, so I guess I might already have an edge there...

My apologies if I'm asking you quite difficult questions, but I certainly appreciate you taking the time to answer them! :)

i think i have more confidence in the stability of a Communications/Design career than you at this point. you should be able to transition into about any kind of Marketing team with that degree. the world of marketing and design is only growing and will not be slowing down unless the country completely tanks. and honeslty by the time you get out of college, i don't know, there could be some rough economic times ahead in these next 4 years. but even if thats true, it will turn around and if it's a path you really want to take i have no doubt you will make a nice career out of it. 

it's hard for me to say how easy it is to get a job right out of college, because i graduated in '09 and at that time the economy was tanked. it took me a year to land my first full time gig. but there will always be a need for design, advertising, and marketing and the demand is pretty high now. especially in CA, where cities like SF are running out of room to put people and much of them work in design / tech. 

yes, design is definitely a sustainable career. if you stay in CA or live in NYC or Miami, you might have to have a roommate (if you're single)  and definitely will starting out, but barring any unforeseen economic calamity, i wouldn't worry about whether or not its worth it financially. you'll be fine. one more tip: always ask for a little more than the job posting says it pays 

portfolio is number one, and Behance should be where you put your best work. it doesn't matter how many projects you have either (a lot of students want to put too many projects in their portfolios) you always want them to be your best effort; 3 good ones are better than 3 good ones and 1 mediocre project. if your Behance page is REALLY good, you might even get an email from Nike. always be ready for those opportunities and make it easy to contact you through Behance. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Archived