NHL 2017-18 Redesign

ldconcepts

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've already seen my take on the Avalanche, so I'll post it along with a special event concept below...

COLORADO AVALANCHE

Their current jerseys are an abomination, and let's face it: their great 90's jerseys are a little outdated and busy. My solution turns the mountain hem stripes into a snowcapped mountain-top yoke design, while keeping the same colour arrangements as the classic set. For a less busy look, I removed all shoulder patches, and used simple arm and hem striping shapes. 

Colorado%20Avalanche%20Concept_zpsyvwtqa

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

NHL GLOBAL SERIES (pt. 1)

Are the Sens and Avs going to wear special uniforms for the Global Series? Probably not. But it didn't stop me from designing some, a home and away set for both teams. I combined their current logos and colour schemes with their original sets. Here's the matchup for Colorado's home game... Ottawa's is coming tomorrow.

NHL%20Global%20Series%20Concept1_zpshpb4

C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

The first two Avs jerseys are good, but I don't like the shoulder yoke. I understand what you're going for, but I don't like the shoulder yokes. The Global Series jerseys are gorgeous, though. Only thing I'd change would be to add some black to the Sens' jerseys.

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

For Columbus, I kept the full length arm piping, but added striping. On the home, that striping is inspired by the Ohio flag, as many Jackets concepts are, with a hint of grey to match the logo. On the away, it's inspired by the design used on their "March With Us" ad campaign.

Columbus%20Blue%20Jackets%20Concept_zpso

C&C Appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

really like Buffalo. It's a shame that Montreal has a monopoly on chest stripes like that (ignoring Florida's update) because that concept is spectacular. 

I feel as though Calgary would work better with a flat shoulder yoke and maybe a yellow 'C' on the home jersey. I really like the striping pattern however. 

Scrolling through these comments, I see that the Carolina concept is quite popular. I guess I'm in the minority, but it really doesn't work for me. It's a nice idea but when executed it just doesn't look quite right to me.

In my opinion, Chicago has some of the most overrated identities in all of sports. It irritates me that their home and road uniforms aren't as well, uniform, as they could be. Your concept does a nice job at fixing that. Although, I can't help but to feel the home would look better in red. The upper arms could stay black and I still think it would work. But having the Blackhawks not own a red jersey (in the modern era, at least) doesn't sit right with me. 

Colorado looks pretty good but I can't help but to feel it would look much better with the mountain-esque striping continued on the hem like it does on the Global Series jerseys (which, by the way is very nice. No complaints there.) 

The GS Ottawa jerseys to me feels a bit plain. Maybe a shoulder yoke or alternate logo on the shoulder would help out. 

Columbus, I have mixed feelings about. I really like the new striping, but part of me feels as though it doesn't flow well with the current arm piping. The other part of me likes the mix of the two, though. Maybe if the piping stopped at the top of the stripes? That may shift my feelings toward liking it fully. 

Great stuff here! 

DALLAS STARS

The Dallas Stars' identity is a hit or miss to most people. I personally love everything about it, but today I'm throwing back to the days of the North Stars for a unique look. I took their gold-white-gold pattern and applied it everywhere I could, including the collar and gloves. The colouring in the logo here was actually proposed but unused in 1990. These could be seen as two options for an outdoor game, so I kept the green helmet on the away jersey.

Dallas%20Stars%20Concept_zpszgmzoc22.png

Nyzv9xS.png

The color on the Stars jerseys just remind me of the Edina Hornets. I want to like these but the colors just scream Edina at me.  Only minnesotans will understand.

2.jpg

1.jpg

DETROIT RED WINGS

The Red Wings have the simplest striping in the league right now, which suits them very well. I wanted to enlarge a slightly complex pattern to throw back to earlier eras of Detroit hockey, and got this as a result.

redwings_zpsrxv1i3xi.png

Nyzv9xS.png

7 hours ago, EJaws said:

The color on the Stars jerseys just remind me of the Edina Hornets. I want to like these but the colors just scream Edina at me.  Only minnesotans will understand.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Well it works out, because almost no one in Minnesota likes Edina, and almost no one in Minnesota likes the Dallas Stars!

Also for the Global Series, and I don't know if this was intentional. but the Avs logos have the light steel blue, and the jerseys have none... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

I like the work but the number of chest stripes in the league is really getting up there. And is it only me that thinks Buffalo and Dallas look way too similar?

I agree. Chest stripes are good, but they shouldn't be used to the point where this amount of teams uses them.

Other than that, this series is good. I'd fill in the chest stripes for Dallas and Buffalo if you want to use them that badly.

Archived