Players on the "RIGHT" Team, but "WRONG" Uniform

On 8/23/2018 at 1:00 AM, johnnysama said:

offensive-lineman-bruce-matthews-of-the-

Bruce Matthews was the face of the Houston Oilers, and followed them to Tennessee; he spent the last three seasons of his career as a Tennessee Titan; so this is the right team, but wrong uniform, and wrong team name too.

Its jarring seeing old white dudes in modern duds:

fgUwpGB.jpg

• Like 4

That’s pretty much my litmus test. Would Reggie White or John Elway have looked ok in the uniform?

Theres definitely a lot of NFL uniforms that pass that test. I’d say the Eagles and Patriots are the lowest of those - anything more “modern” then them doesn’t work (and neither of them are very crazy). 

Note that passing this “test” doesn’t mean that it’s a good uniform - there’s still other factors. It’s just one of the bigger ones. 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 2/16/2019 at 4:51 PM, Davidellias said:

latest?cb=20120305041245

Not Only is it Bradshaw in a Black facemask, it's not his traditional double bar one either.

The first facemask he had were Dungards; this is a Schutt model. He actually won Super Bowls XIII and XIV wearing the Schutt model pictured here.

• Like 2

UBwef0L.png

There’s no reasonable person that immediately associates John Elway with that uniform, unless those two years were literally the only two years you ever watched him play - and even then, all of his highlights and iconic photos are of him in the orange crush uniform 

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There’s no reasonable person that immediately associates John Elway with that uniform, unless those two years were literally the only two years you ever watched him play - and even then, all of his highlights and iconic photos are of him in the orange crush uniform 

I guess I’m an unreasonable person then. I was born in 1990, so my first memories of John Elway are in that uniform. Any other photos/highlights immediately go to my mind as “early in his career.” 

• Like 6

On 4/11/2019 at 8:44 AM, AndrewMLind said:

I guess I’m an unreasonable person then. I was born in 1990, so my first memories of John Elway are in that uniform. Any other photos/highlights immediately go to my mind as “early in his career.” 

I think this helps the point that BBTV made. You were 7 when they changed to the modern uniforms, which might be the perfect age for someone to associate Elway with them. I think anyone that remembers most or all of his career would associate him with the Orange Crush, whereas you only have a couple years memory of Elway in those unis, im assuming this since most people cant really remember much before 5 years old

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

Only for one preseason game. Supposedly, he personally complained to ownership and they never wore that set during his career again.

I could totally see him doing that. "Guys, this looks dumb!"

On a related note...I don't get people who think the Broncos should wear navy blue pants today. The Bears, owner of the closest color scheme to Denver's, have worn navy pants for over three decades. The division-rival Chargers sometimes wear navy pants. The playoff-rival Patriots regularly wear navy pants, as do the Texans and Seahawks. The Titans sometimes wear navy blue pants. The Rams have worn them within the past five years and the Bills within the past ten. Please, no more navy blue pants.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Davidellias said:

587353.jpeg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

Karl Malone in early 00s Jazz Uniforms?

Eh. I associate The Mailman with those, especially considering he wore those 4 of 5 seasons they were around. 

• Like 3

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

While I certainly saw them wear the mountain uniforms way more than the classics, for some reason, the mountain unis always seemed "new" to me - even after many years - and the OGs always seemed "right" for both.  Can't argue with anyone that calls these "wrong" though.

hqdefault.jpg  

• Like 3