The MLB According to FinsUp: At-Bat - San Diego

FinsUp1214

17 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

That's perfect! Please do that for the rest of your concepts.

Speaking of which, any idea which team is next?

Thanks! I'm not sure who I'm going to finish first quite yet, but it will either be the Athletics or Angels!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Any potential updates soon?

Yes, probably within the week! I'm finally in the finals homestretch and will no longer be going at the speed of molasses with the concepts :P the series is still alive and I'm excited to be able to continue and devote more time to it!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Minnesota, Houston, and Arizona template updates are still on the way, but in the meantime...

Atlanta Braves 

I truly thought this would be the Athletics or Angels, but I've stalled on the both of them and Atlanta came from behind!

So in explaining the Braves, I will say this; I broke my own rule a little. This isn't exactly my ideal Braves look, as that is simply pretty much this , but with the "A" of course on the cap and some other little variances. But I've come across a few Braves concepts which present a very similar idea, and I felt like going my ideal route would just be too much piggy backing off of others' great work. So I decided to take a bit of a risk, go out of my "Braves Comfort Zone", and try something else.

The end result of my brainstorming produced a result that was something of an era-merger between the tomahawk eras and the '69 Braves . I wanted to make something that could've easily been worn in the 50's and 60's if the original tomahawks didn't exist, and I feel this would've worked well. I admittedly love no-name-on-back, and though I wouldn't do it to every team, I like the idea of doing it with a historical team like the Braves. I kind of like the navy/white thing they have going with their alts, as it seems like a great "true alt" idea and the colorway has some historical precedence. But I feel it can be really improved upon. The alt here is my idea for that, with very slight inspiration from the script and number front of the Murphy era . 

IMG_6244.thumb.PNG.19c8ddc33526352850caeebbd2f5e6cd.PNG

IMG_6243.thumb.PNG.3e71f72e14719e2ea6f5e895e9343320.PNG

IMG_6245.thumb.PNG.db1a6c5f2fe4c8714ad3f7b1553e1553.PNG

Let 'er rip, everyone! It's good to be back! 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

17 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Great to see this series back! I love what you've done with the Braves and your reasoning behind it. My only complaint is a very small one--the Native American head looks like it's wearing lipstick.

Thank you! And great point as well, I hadn't thought about that but can totally see it now. I will go back and change that for certain!

Also just in overall general regarding the Braves, something I forgot to include: I feel really comfortable about the Braves having a navy/white colorway alt in "my universe" so to say because, surprisingly, such an alt would be unique in it. As we've seen, the Tigers won't have one, the Yankees will most certainly not, and the Padres, well, won't even be in navy at all (wink wink). So the Braves will actually have a more unique alternate this way than they would if it were navy and red (though of course if it doesn't work, I'm certainly open to changing it up).

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

One thing I really appreciate about the way you've presented your concepts is the use of action templates. Being able to see what it looks like on an actual player makes evaluating and appreciating concept work so much easier and enjoyable. Nicely done.

Thank you everyone!

@coco1997 Oops! I totally intended to, I just realized I grabbed the wrong file. I have two different ones (only difference being the cream) and mixed them up. They look a little different on mobile than they do on my desktop, haha! That'll be fixed! Thanks for your input on Arizona too, @Rebuy !

@Ted Cunningham Thanks for your comments! I'd always felt the same way regarding action templates in general, and felt a lot of my concepts would be best helped by seeing how they'd look in action. I'm glad to hear they have done so!

As for moving forwards, I'm going back to the drawing board with the A's and Angels. I just don't like how they're turning out quite yet. But another California team is halfway done and on the way! 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Everything about this series has been fantastic. From the template to the jerseys to the logos it's been great. I am in love with the action templates you're using. They really make the jerseys seem more lifelike. One little nitpick I do have is the drop shadow on the Twins jersey. On the wordmark it looks great but maybe consider moving it to the numbers as well. Just to kind of tie together the script and numbers even more. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

San Diego Padres

It's really surprisingly hard to do Padres concepts, mostly because there's an over abundance of returns to brown and you don't want to inadvertently do the same thing someone else does. Nevertheless, I took it on in the hopes I could bring San Diego back to their roots while putting my own twist on things.

First thing's first: brown.

Second thing: brown and khaki. It's a combo I've always wanted to try and liked the look of. Reminds me a little of Old Town as well, which I figure would be fitting for the Padres.

Third thing: despite the navy, I actually really loved their mid-2000's look and think it's the best they ever looked in navy, so I took some cues from that set here and there while keeping the brown.

and, Fourth thing: I went with my own modernization of the Swingin' Friar. He's front and center as the primary again, right where he belonged all along.

I was a little nervous about how the colors would turn out, seeing as for some reason the always look a tad different on mobile than they do on my computer monitor. But as I'm looking at them, I feel comfortable with how it all turned out.

There's not much else to say! Hope you guys enjoy!

IMG_6375.thumb.PNG.ab634308463bc62c035ae31ec7e0b79e.PNG

IMG_6377.thumb.PNG.d38f1e25ecc4db51ea76c4260754ef64.PNG

IMG_6376.thumb.PNG.825201fe9afaa9d8f3a33899141a9b75.PNG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived