My New Personal Logo Tweak

IPDESIGNS

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta get away from that font.  It's not good at all.

I don't know if you used transform or warp but it looks so obviously stretched and manipulated.  

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=initial logo&rs=typed&term_meta[]=initial|typed&term_meta[]=logo|typed

Look at some of these results and gain some inspiration.  Try again.  Make something like a dozen ideas - branch out!  Even if it's a route of design you typically don't enjoy, give it a shot anyway.  Try a HUGE variety of fonts, and I mean HUGE.

DaFont.com has endless thousands to choose from, as does FontSquirrel and numerous other websites.  Take advantage of this and take your time.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

First off, like everyone else says, change the font. It doesn't really scream 'modern' or anything like that.

If you want the logo to be your initials, try making a monogram or do something more creative than just putting them side by side. Try thinking outside the box, or look at some people's logos on the boards and be inspired. The sky's the limit when it comes to design.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Look, we're not trying to bring you down. We're providing constructive criticism for how to evolve your brand to be something amazing. It's just that your first idea in our eyes was a little generic. I understand why you might want to rebrand because of this, but one thing that will give you more respect on these boards is handling criticism like this and not giving up. It's not that your ideas are the worst thing to ever be designed *cough cough, LA Clippers* but they could just be executed better. Don't give up and in no time, you'll be designing some great logos.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

I know, I just felt like "Perlich Designs" was getting old, and I wanted to start fresh. Thanks for the consideration.

13 hours ago, NoE38 said:

Look, we're not trying to bring you down. We're providing constructive criticism for how to evolve your brand to be something amazing. It's just that your first idea in our eyes was a little generic. I understand why you might want to rebrand because of this, but one thing that will give you more respect on these boards is handling criticism like this and not giving up. It's not that your ideas are the worst thing to ever be designed *cough cough, LA Clippers* but they could just be executed better. Don't give up and in no time, you'll be designing some great logos.

Receiving negative or mixed feedback is going to be 90% of your job if you want to be a designer for others.  FYI.

Clear Color Design is, again, stretched and kind of warped.  I don't know what program you're using, but the transform tool is being abused a little here with the big caps font.  

The eye/O logo thing is alright, but it's not terribly innovative either.  You're starting over from scratch when really you should pick an idea and focus on it.  Flesh it out.  

I don't know man, if you're not willing to take your time and really put some care into your designs, I doubt you'll get much patience for good quality feedback going forward.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, ImmortalChef said:

Now that you are still IP, change your logo again

I have to agree. While the logo you introduced at the beginning of the thread can work as a placeholder, now would be the time to dig down deep and find a new logo to use. Something good and unique.

Honestly, I think before you try to come up with your logo, you should consider getting some training in a design program and in graphic design. At least if you are intending to do anything with it other than just creating your own brand for fun. I say this because there is so much Design 101 you're missing here that I'm not sure any C&C will be helpful. 

I think you need to match the "I" and "P" with the same font as "SAAC" and "ERLICH". The unnecessarily modern "IP" doesn't match with the rest of it, and doesn't look bad on its own.

I also think the colors could use some updating, but that's just a personal preference I tend to like brighter colors than what you've got, but that's entirely up to you.

It's a good idea, but the font is what kills it, at least for me. It's a big step forward from both designs before, if that means anything.

Why isn't the P one color? I get that you're combining them to make it an IP, but only do that when the IP stands alone.

Why is there a gap at the base of the P, where your two shapes come together?

Why is the P taller than the I?

If you can answer some or all of these questions that have been asked of you, it might help in the path of design, as opposed to 'cuz that's how I stretched it'.

It's where I sit.

What is it about this particular logo that you like? Maybe if you can answer that then we can explore ways to improve.

It doesn't work for me in a couple ways - It doesn't really look like an I or a P and executionally it's a little sloppy, but those aren’t difficult fixes. Not sure what program you’re using, but you have the kernel of an idea of using the I as the vertical stem of the P. I’d dive into that further. Don’t just sketch one idea, sketch dozens, and then keep working on them until they’re improved. Do 10 one minute sketches of all different options. Pick one to really flesh out. Your looks above all look like they were rushed and posted without much consideration for each one.

Once you have the base of an idea I’d start by typing out the letters I and P and playing with actual fonts on the computer. Try a whole bunch of options and I’d stick with only fonts that use straight vertical lines, avoid fonts that have curves or fancy flourishes and for the love of god delete the font from your first post and never use it again. Promise me you don’t use that font again. Now I’d focus entirely on the IP and forget about the rest of your name for the time being.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Design is more than just typing words in a font you have on your computer. So far, with these concepts I don't see much more than text that's extra squeezed or randomly placed.

You should really take your time and research other logos to really see how characters and type can work together to make shapes and monograms. Look for design blogs. There are plenty out there... read the comments and critique about designs and identities. Check out designs on Instagram, Behance, or even Dribbble (3 b's). You will learn some principles and see why simply using the first font you see on your computer isn't always the best option.

Personally, I'm not a fan of monograms that use every single initial in a company name, but in this case, you may have something...combine your name with design, and you have Isaac Perlich Design (or Designs). I, P, D. You may be onto something with your I/P monogram. What if you combined it with a D, or even a lowercase d? You could have a symmetrical design (which are generally stronger as icons), since the lowercase d and p are identical when rotated. Put a capital I in the middle, like dIP. Maybe expand on that idea. Redraw some shapes to really bring out the symmetry. Strong iconography paired with clean fonts can be the beginning of a very strong identity.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived