Crazy Coincidences

Bruins

I'd seen the Dingle Berry photo but not those next two.  Those are great.

I once went to a Twins game in which they had (Tony) Batista and (Juan) Castro batting back-to-back.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I once went to a Twins game in which they had (Tony) Batista and (Juan) Castro batting back-to-back.

. . . for you students of Cuban history.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I liked that the 2006 and 2011 NBA Finals took place in American Airlines Arena and the American Airlines Center.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I liked that the 2006 and 2011 NBA Finals took place in American Airlines Arena and the American Airlines Center.

That is special because it was the Finals.  But something like this first came up long before the days of selling stadium names. From 1955 through 1967, there were two stadiums in the American League with the same name, as both the Cleveland Indians and the Kansas City A's played in parks called Municipal Stadium.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 4/3/2017 at 11:00 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The 1962 Mets had two pitchers named Bob Miller.  They wound up known as "Lefty Bob" and "Righty Bob", and collectively as "the Bobbsey Twins".

Image result for bob miller mets

Yet another crazy coincidence...the Mets have actually had two pitchers with the same name at the same time twice--"coincidentally", also named "Bobby", and also, "coincidentally", one was a righty and the other a lefty...

97335054.jpg.56b68fb1cda1b1c4fbdfb95758442eb1.jpg

The one on the right was, by that point, entrenched right-handed starter Bobby (M.) Jones. The one on the left, signed in 2000, was left-handed reliever Bobby (J.) Jones.

(Bonus coincidence: these two also found themselves on the same San Diego Padres team at the same time two seasons later, in 2002.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 4/7/2017 at 6:42 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

That is special because it was the Finals.  But something like this first came up long before the days of selling stadium names. From 1955 through 1967, there were two stadiums in the American League with the same name, as both the Cleveland Indians and the Kansas City A's played in parks called Municipal Stadium.

Also coincidentally or ironically, the Braves moved from one County Stadium to another. From Milwaukee County Stadium to Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. 

packchampionslfroh.png

There's the whole Juwan Howard / Josh Howard thing.  Both J. Howards, both played for both the Wizards and Mavericks at some point, both wore #5, but both also wore #55 for a short time, one with each team, due to #5 being worn by another player.  If I'm not mistaken they were both on the Mavs at the same time for a while, which i guess is a coincidence itself, but the fact that they wore the same numbers on two different teams is the heart of the coincidence, I guess.

22416e_med.jpegjosh-howard-dallas-mavericks.JPG?itok=7HiKSokk

2JuwanHoward.jpg439x.jpg

And here they are in some 55's

howard_mavericks_01_150.jpgept_sports_nba_experts-166437411-1266589128.jpg

EDIT:  I guess also the cool thing here is that if you had bought a Juwan Howard Wizards jersey back in 1997, it could have served as a Josh Howard jersey in 2011, and no one would have known the difference except logo nerds like us who would notice the gold/bronze disparity.

• 2 months later...

For a brief period in the 1988-89 NHL season, the Vancouver Canucks had two players named Craig Adams on their roster - one a winger and the other a defenseman. The winger used the name "Gus" while the defenseman used "Charles" to avoid any confusion.

On April 7, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Buc said:

Yet another crazy coincidence...the Mets have actually had two pitchers with the same name at the same time twice--"coincidentally", also named "Bobby", and also, "coincidentally", one was a righty and the other a lefty...

97335054.jpg.56b68fb1cda1b1c4fbdfb95758442eb1.jpg

The one on the right was, by that point, entrenched right-handed starter Bobby (M.) Jones. The one on the left, signed in 2000, was left-handed reliever Bobby (J.) Jones.

(Bonus coincidence: these two also found themselves on the same San Diego Padres team at the same time two seasons later, in 2002.)

The Mets had J. before 2000, because on May 11, 1999, when M. was with the Rockies, they started against one another.

The White Sox had both catcher Giovany Soto and pitcher Giovanni Soto on their 40-man roster this year,

but the pitcher was never called up and was released.

The Braves had pitcher David D. Carpenter in 2014, and pitcher David L. Carpenter in 2015.

Archived