Jerry West Wishes the NBA Would Change its Logo

Germanshepherd

2 hours ago, TJSC said:

leaked

IMG_4902.JPG

Needs more roundel

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

15 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

("Its".  Can you edit the title?)

Well, if West himself feels so strongly about it, then maybe a better logo would be the silhouette of Jordan. But the problem is that that shape already has a brand identity.

They could use LeBron's block on Iguodala or his signature dunk.

ClLpVNF.jpg

Boig2eG.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Here's the source of the redesign concepts: https://www.behance.net/gallery/27443099/NBA-Logo-Redux

FWIW, I think only the Durant one works well. The Chris Paul one is pretty good too.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

why does it need to be a silhouette? I'm not suggesting to go with a shield, but there's a million ways to make an effective logo that don't rely on the MLB-esque silhouette.

The shape worked when it was on the shoulder.  NOw that it's on the back, it should be more square or round and less tall.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

West does make a point, but the problem is that the logo has already achieved an iconic level. If they were to change it, you'd have to have a player that helped shape and define the league to what it is today... so it should be Jordan, obviously.

Though, like what BBTV said, does it really have to be a silhouette of a player? It could be a shield, it could be a roundel, it could be anything as long as it's distinctive.

Again - why does it need a player at all? Seems to be a very narrow way of thinking. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Again - why does it need a player at all? Seems to be a very narrow way of thinking. 

Tradition. And because baseball does it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Saw this on Reddit yesterday:

p5aVspq.jpg

How many player silhouettes can YOU name?

Hide contents

Photo-17-8-2015-10-16-16.jpg

The best one of these in my opinion is 4 Derrick Rose shooting. It's the least evident who it is and showcases the sport the best. But I don't think it's an improvement over the current logo. 

jordan-nba-logo-590x798.png

I like this Jordan one that the mothership mocked up. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Theoretically, an NBA logo based on iconography could use the design of lines in the ball (as teams' logos do) or else the court markings. Another possibility is that it could be a logo that uses just the initals rendered artistically, as the logo of the ABA did.

Practically speaking, it's hard to imagine that any of those types of logos could be as visually arresting as one featuring a silhouette.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

No. I like James, but Jordan's still probably the most iconic basketball player who ever lived. If they're going to replace West with anyone? It's got to be Jordan.

There's no way they could use Jordan without looking like a ripoff of the Air Jordan brand.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

18 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

There's no way they could use Jordan without looking like a ripoff of the Air Jordan brand.

IMG_3375.JPG.5a49c894a5fda315cd03f4bcb19b3136.JPG

IMG_3376.thumb.JPG.b24c1a436784e53237fbb568bb15a427.JPGIMG_3377.thumb.JPG.608a1d6b132b91b3bcf86754c80f7cd9.JPG

Something like any of these would be different enough from the Jordan Brand logo and still be instantly recognizable as Michael Jordan. The second and third ones might encroach on the JB logo a little more than the first one, but I think any of the three would work just fine. Plus, it would be based off of Michael Jordan so they could make some minor adjustments to further distance it from the Jordan Brand logo if necessary.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived