USA-Mexico-Canada Joint Bid for 2026 World Cup

dfwabel

35 minutes ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

Sorry to tell you but Allianz Field might not even be 20,000 seats. Despite US Bank Stadium being 10 for that World Cup if there is a game in Minnesota it's US Bank Stadium

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but Minneapolis is not getting any games in 2026. Minneapolis pulled out of the running back in March and was not one of the 23 potential host cities that were part of the final bid (a list that still has to be whittled down to 16).

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/15/2018 at 5:56 PM, dfwabel said:

FIFA have Mile High Stadium the highest score of all the venues in the United bid, 4.4 out of 5.

Denver 4.4

What was the scoring based on?

11 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but Minneapolis is not getting any games in 2026. Minneapolis pulled out of the running back in March and was not one of the 23 potential host cities that were part of the final bid (a list that still has to be whittled down to 16).

Thank god I could go in Denver then because I have family there

Something I just though of. Would any cities not hosting games still try to set up some type of fan zone during the tournament or would that be something that the MLS teams just do for USA/Mexico/Canada games? I know Audi Field hosted something for the Russia-Saudi Arabia game but would the bigger cities like San Antonio or Minneapolis try something like this? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 6/17/2018 at 6:18 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Lack of hotels is Philly's major issue?  Or am I reading that wrong.

They only committed 14,000 bed nights to the United bid, which is only like 35% of their capacity.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:29 PM, jrodsep said:

I was really hoping that the US would receive the 2022 bid but I was really happy when it got the 2026 hosting duties. My son loves soccer and plays at his school team. How could I secure tickets for the cup? Is there some sort of waiting list? Or first come first served? I'm interested on Dallas, Miami, New York or Boston area. 

Ticket lottery is set for 2025.

Ticket prices for group stage are planned to be $323 (44% of all seats), $304 (21%), $174 (22%), and $21 (7%) for the general seating bowl; $993 for Suites/Club Seats.

6 hours ago, dfwabel said:

They only committed 14,000 bed nights to the United bid, which is only like 35% of their capacity.

Ok, I was gonna say they have way more than required beds for any event, and there’s currentky multiple hotel towers either under construction or breaking ground soon. Not sure why they’d only commit 35%.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Ok, I was gonna say they have way more than required beds for any event, and there’s currentky multiple hotel towers either under construction or breaking ground soon. Not sure why they’d only commit 35%.

They may have had to keep beds open for MLB, NBA or other competitions before or during the World Cup. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

FWIW, the World Cup will be held concurrent with celebrations of the nation's 250th anniversary, and I expect those celebrations will be centered around Philadelphia. Likely why they only wanted to commit 35%. There's going to be a sharp increase in tourism to Philly in all of 2026, but particularly in the summer.

13 minutes ago, kroywen said:

FWIW, the World Cup will be held concurrent with celebrations of the nation's 250th anniversary, and I expect those celebrations will be centered around Philadelphia. Likely why they only wanted to commit 35%. There's going to be a sharp increase in tourism to Philly in all of 2026, but particularly in the summer.

Now I'm even more afraid the US will wear the denim kit for this.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Now I'm even more afraid the US will wear the denim kit for this.

I'm fully expecting a Revolutionary War-inspired kit, myself:

41Ydtvr-dKL._SY445_.jpg

That could turn out to either be the greatest thing ever, or worst thing ever, with zero in-between.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:24 PM, the admiral said:

Oh, okay, well, glad the expensive new stadium is being showcased on a global stage.

What that matter, when Kroenke is paying for the stadium himself? 

It's not like the public needs to get everything it can out of its investment - Kroenke is building it to house his own football team, and that's exactly what it'll do.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:07 PM, the admiral said:

Edmonton. Again.

After building Rogers Place, there is zero appetite here to build another new stadium. Especially since Commonwealth successfully hosted Women's World Cup games in 2015 and it actually scored quite high in the FIFA bid evaluation for stadiums (transportation and accommodations are where the city was lacking).

46 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I'm fully expecting a Revolutionary War-inspired kit, myself:

41Ydtvr-dKL._SY445_.jpg

That could turn out to either be the greatest thing ever, or worst thing ever, with zero in-between.

Especially amazing if we get thrown in the same pool as England.

VmWIn6B.png

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

What that matter, when Kroenke is paying for the stadium himself? 

It's not like the public needs to get everything it can out its investment - Kroenke is building it to house his own football team, and that's exactly what it'll do.

The Rams Stadium/Entertainment Area was listed to be a FanFest location for Los Angeles, as is Exposition Park.

On 6/13/2018 at 2:19 PM, BRG75 said:

I would put money on Foxborough being a host venue. Boston is a very popular city with European visitors, and as there will be many thousands heading over, all with plenty of money to spend, I suspect that famously sports mad city will be near the top of the list! And if the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland make the finals, you can bet they will have at least one game up there!

The match schedule is developed about a year in advance of the Final.  The host(s), since they are automatically placed, will already know their schedule going in, every other nation learns their schedule depending on how they got slotted in the draw. 

8 hours ago, RedRenesis said:

The match schedule is developed about a year in advance of the Final.  The host(s), since they are automatically placed, will already know their schedule going in, every other nation learns their schedule depending on how they got slotted in the draw. 

I was thinking of that this morning. Canada would probably get Group A, USA Group B and Mexico Group C. That's if they let all three in automatically. Canada would need the most favorable group and we go from there. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I was thinking of that this morning. Canada would probably get Group A, USA Group B and Mexico Group C. That's if they let all three in automatically. Canada would need the most favorable group and we go from there. 

Korea Republic was in Group D and Japan was in Group H when they co-hosted the 2002 World Cup. They'd likely stagger Canada, Mexico and the U.S. through to avoid having host countries meet in the rounds of 32 or 16.

You could have hosts in A, E and I, which would guarantee the earliest any could meet would be a quarter-final.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived