USA-Mexico-Canada Joint Bid for 2026 World Cup

dfwabel

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, the admiral said:

There are more than enough venues for the U.S. to handle this on its own. The final should be in Inglewood if they can put down natural grass, otherwise, I dunno, Landover?

The Washington football team is likely to leave FedEx Field before then, if not they're unlikely to put any additional $$$ into the venue as 2027 is the end of lease.

United States of America

MetLife Stadium - East Rutherford, NJ
FedEx Field - Landover, MD or potential new Redskins stadium - Washington, DC metro area
Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Atlanta, GA
Hard Rock Stadium - Miami Gardens, FL
Soldier Field - Chicago, IL
AT&T Stadium - Arlington, TX

NRG Stadium - Houston or Arrowhead Stadium - Kansas City, MO
University of Phoenix Stadium - Glendale, AZ
Levi's Stadium - Santa Clara, CA or Stanford Stadium - Stanford, CA
Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park - Inglewood, CA 

United Mexican States

Estadio BBVA Bancomer - Guadalupe, MX-NL
Estadio Chivas - Zapopan, MX-JA
Estadio Azteca - Mexico City, MX-DF

Canada

Olympic Stadium - Montreal, QC
BMO Field - Toronto, ON
BC Place - Vancouver, BC

I would think that once a host country/stadium for the final was determined, each of the semi-final matches would be scheduled for facilities in each of the other two co-host nations. For instance, if a stadium in a US city was chosen to play host to the World Cup Final, one semi-final would be contested in a Canadian venue and one would be played in a Mexican facility.  

Why should Vancouver possibly hosting one of the 16 pods deter one from going to Seattle?  Seattle is perennially near the top in attendance in MLS.  If I were handing out bids, not only would Seattle get a spot, but I'd try to arrange it where the USMNT plays in that Seattle pod.  Give the home team as much of a home-pitch advantage as possible, especially with the sprint that would be Group Play.

2 hours ago, EvilChameleon said:

Citi Field? The baseball park?

LEGO Stadium? Huh?

Sorry -- MetLife. Too many financial institutions.

Lego Stadium is colloquial for Levi around these parts. Partly because of a slip of the keyboard. Partly because it looks like it was pieced together with the most basic kit of parts.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, nickp91 said:

Maybe BMO will be expanded temporarily to 40-50k to host some group games, but I can't see another stadium being built there just for the World Cup 

Yeah, BMO is nearly fine enough for early group stages.  I think FIFA is quite okay with a bit smaller stadium size in exchange for prime tv market, & nearly automatic financial success overall.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Why should Vancouver possibly hosting one of the 16 pods deter one from going to Seattle?  Seattle is perennially near the top in attendance in MLS.  If I were handing out bids, not only would Seattle get a spot, but I'd try to arrange it where the USMNT plays in that Seattle pod.  Give the home team as much of a home-pitch advantage as possible, especially with the sprint that would be Group Play.

I'm fairly certain the host team(s) are still randomly drawn to decide their group & subsequently where they are playing.  In fact, I'm pretty sure they're always the first team drawn at the lottery.
If USA ended up playing in Mexico, that'd be fun.  Though they would surely try to openly cheat the drawing so that might not happen.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

52 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

I'm fairly certain the host team(s) are still randomly drawn to decide their group & subsequently where they are playing.  In fact, I'm pretty sure they're always the first team drawn at the lottery.
If USA ended up playing in Mexico, that'd be fun.  Though they would surely try to openly cheat the drawing so that might not happen.

Yeah, the host would be team A1 for Group A.

If I remember correctly, the sites and dates for every game are set up before the World Cup draw.  In the Brazil Cup draw, I'm pretty sure I remember the ESPN folks saying which slots the USMNT needed to avoid beforehand, because one of the slots included a trip to the rain forest.  I'm not sure how these sites are determined, but I'm sure the host nation gets some input. 

So if the host(s) can arrange the locations of the games, the US...knowing they are A1....could arrange their draw.  Play group play in a favorable city, then hopefully the knockout stages can be set up in a way where travel impact is minimized. 

53 minutes ago, Needschat said:

the Rose Bowl, like in 1994

Can't get away with bench seating for a major stadium event anymore.

40+% of the seats at the Rose Bowl don't have chair backs!

The recent renovation improved the restrooms, but they still need port-a-johns

Quick search shows that the population center of North America would be somewhere in western Arkansas, meaning that the closest possible stadium would be Dallas. Of course, this is a stupid reason to pick a final venue and it would probably be hosted in L.A. 

I'm biased as all get out, but MetLife makes the most sense for the final. The most prominent city in North America with a modern 80,000+ capacity venue? It's perfect. And on the oft chance the US make it into the final, you avoid the issue of an influx of hostile Mexico fans jeering the USMNT, which you'd definitely get in LA, and might in Dallas as well.

I googled World Cup stadium requirements to see if Philadelphia qualified, and found this kinda interesting site that goes over the specs.  They even mention covering over seats and specific seat widths.  I still didn't get my answer though.

http://www.portal2014.org.br/en/news/2350/KNOW+THE+FIFA+REQUIREMENTS+FOR+WORLD+CUP+STADIUMS.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I googled World Cup stadium requirements to see if Philadelphia qualified, and found this kinda interesting site that goes over the specs.  They even mention covering over seats and specific seat widths.  I still didn't get my answer though.

http://www.portal2014.org.br/en/news/2350/KNOW+THE+FIFA+REQUIREMENTS+FOR+WORLD+CUP+STADIUMS.html

In 2010, The Linc made US Soccer's list of venues when it bid for 2018/2022. They started with 38 cities submitting a RFP.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wash/sports/m-soccer/auto_pdf/FIFA_WorldCup_USA.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiJjsT7yZjTAhUJ-2MKHaBCBsAQFggfMAc&sig2=4StMtC0qn3SLfm9OmQCj-A&usg=AFQjCNEwnm3Oco1NFXgd-ebIzfe9yswSuA

Atlanta

Boston (Foxboro)

Dallas (ATT & Cotton Bowl)

Denver

Houston

Indianapolis

Kansas City

Los Angeles (Rose Bowl & Coliseum)

Miami

NYC (MetLife)

Nashville

Philadelphia

Phoenix (Glendale)

San Diego

Seattle (CentruyLink & UW)

Tampa

Washington DC (Landover)

There were 9 in 1994, 10 in 1998, 10 in 2002, 12 in 2006, 10 in 2010 and 12 venues in 2014,

Assuming US/Mexico/Canada keep with 12 for 2026, I would expect something like 3 in Canada, 5 to 6 in the US and 3-4 in Mexico. That would mean something like:

Canada

- Vancouver

- Toronto

- ??? Montreal?

Mexico (pulled from a basic search)

- Azteca

- Jalisco

- BBVA Bancomer

- Olímpico Universitario

And then US guaranteed venues:

- Lego Stadium

- Rose Bowl

- U of Phoenix

- AT&T Stadium

Other potential options for the last spot:

- Lincoln Financial

- Raymond James

- Rose Bowl

- CenturyLink

- Soldier Field

- Gilette

- NRG (Houston)

- Camping World

- FedEx Field

I think the US-only stadiums are compelling on their own; it gets muddled when you add Canada and Mexico. I'm not sure if you'd want to try and be relatively close to the Canadian and Mexican venues (Seattle, Rose Bowl), or look for geographic diversity (Soldier, Lincoln Financial, Gillette, the Florida options).

A better option would be to just extricate the World Cup from Qatar to the US because what's happening there is terrible.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

DG,

Japan/Korea 2002 had 20 cities and stadiums, not ten for a 32-team tournament.

2026 will have 48 teams.

Also, UANL (Tigers) is in the late stages of getting legislative approval for their stadium plans in Monterrey. Their first location for a new 72-85K facility, was rejected so they may just renovate/expand the current Estadio Universitario.

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

DG,

Japan/Korea 2002 had 20 cities and stadiums, not ten for a 32-team tournament.

2026 will have 48 teams.

Also, UANL (Tigers) is in the late stages of getting legislative approval for their stadium plans in Monterrey. Their first location for a new 72-85K facility, was rejected so they may just renovate/expand the current Estadio Universitario.

I misread Wikipedia! Ten for each country!

I also clearly forgot about the field expansion. Thanks for the info.

Archived