USA-Mexico-Canada Joint Bid for 2026 World Cup

dfwabel

For travel sake, will both 'group' games be at the same venue? Would make the most sense for fan attendance factors.

As of right now, the three best stadiums in the U.S. for this would be the currently being built Rams stadium, AT&T Stadium, and MetLife Stadium.

The thing is, though. I can't imagine this would be an 'equal host' situation. It seems more like "US hosts it, and one pod each go to Canada and Mexico to host their teams' games". I just don't see USSF forgoing all the money to US cities instead going to Canadian or Mexican cities. Why not just big by themselves? Is there really an issue with a US solo bid? I mean, if the US can't bid on a World Cup by themselves, what country on Earth could?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Why not just big by themselves?

Is tere really an issue with a US solo bid? I mean, if the US can't bid on a World Cup by themselves, what country on Earth could?

Have you paid attention to how the rest of the world views the US as of late?

Partnering up helps global perception. Morocco wanted to partner with Spain/Portugal, but FIFA axed that idea.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2017/04/03/morocco-2026-world-cup-bid-looks-doomed-fifa-regs-rule-euro-partners/

12 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Have you paid attention to how the rest of the world views the US as of late?

Irrelevant. Which is why I believe not only will this be awarded to the three countries, but the 2024 Summer Olympics will be awarded to Los Angeles. Bad political climate or no.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

So it's basically a United States bid featuring special guest appearances by Mexico and Canada. Why can't Mexico have its own bid? They love soccer.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

30 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

Just curious, but what other countries are bidding for that World Cup? Nice to see who the competition is.

According to Wikipedia (my best source), US/CAN/MEX is the first official one.  Colombia has confirmed interest in bidding.  Possible bids could come from Australia/New Zealand, Morocco, England, Azerbaijian/Turkey, and Kazakhstan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup#Official_bids

Here's my predictions if it wins.

Mexico: Azteca, Monterrey, and Chivas

Canada: Toronto (Rogers Centre), Montreal (Stade Olympique), Vancouver (BC Place)

US: LA (Rams new stadium), New York (MetLife Stadium), Dallas (AT&T Stadium), Seattle (CenturyLink Field), Boston (kinda) (Gillette Stadium), [HOMERISM ALERT] Orlando (Citrus Bowl), Houston (NRG Stadium), Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz Stadium), Minneapolis (US Bank Stadium), Chicago (Soldier Field)

ExJworW.png

Curious, but how many stadiums would be needed in the US to host the games? 

- I think we've concluded BC Place (Vancouver), BMO (Toronto) are locks...but is Montreal a lock with the dated Olympic Stadium?  Outside of these three, I don't see any other city having the ability to host, except for maybe Winnipeg.

- Mexico Has Azteca (Mexico City), Jalisco and/or Chivas (Guadalajara), and maybe Universitario in Monterrey?

I hate that Mexico only gets 10 games. 

2 hours ago, EvilChameleon said:

Swap out Houston for Cleveland and US Bank Stadium for Allianz Field when that's built, and we have a deal.

Yes, because people all over the world will be jumping for joy when FIFA announces group play and they find out that their country will have to play in soccer rich Cleveland. I mean, just show them this gem and no doubt they will want to visit:

On 4/8/2017 at 4:30 PM, DG_Now said:

I think the only options would be Azteca, Citi Field or, unfortunately, Lego Stadium.

A joint bid would almost certainly bypass Seattle (presumably in favor of Vancouver) and that really bums me out.

Lego model of St James' Park

that should be a fun game.  

would become this:

Image result for fantastic voyage

so long and thanks for all the fish.

7 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

So, more things we learned today:

U.S. will host 60 games, Mexico and Canada 10 each. Additionally, U.S. will host all quarterfinal, semifinal and final matches.

So basically, Canada and Mexico host three groups/pods, plus one of the Round of 16 games.  Don't think they want some teams to add on the hassling of Customs into an already-short time span between games by switching sites.

Each team in group play plays two games, and the top two move on.  Then a 32-team knockout phase.  Should be really interesting.  Three games was a sprint in itself....two games should be really something.  I would think less-inclination to settle for a tie.

Just curious, but what other countries are bidding for that World Cup? Nice to see who the competition is.

According to Wikipedia (my best source), US/CAN/MEX is the first official one.  Colombia has confirmed interest in bidding.  Possible bids could come from Australia/New Zealand, Morocco, England, Azerbaijian/Turkey, and Kazakhstan.

In October of last year, FIFA unveiled bidding and hosting guidelines which stipulated that member-nations from the host confederations of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups - the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA), respectively - would be ineligible to host the 2026 World Cup tournament.

The Australia Football Federation and Football Federation of Kazakhstan both belong to the AFC. The Football Association in England, the Association of Football Federations of Azerbaijan, and the Turkish Football Federation are all members of UEFA. As such, under FIFA's new guidelines, the United States of America, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, New Zealand and Morocco are the only nations on the Wikipedia list that can bid to host the 2026 World Cup.

A member-nation of the AFC or UEFA will only be considered to host the 2026 World Cup if no bid from a member-nation of the Confederation of African Football, the South American Football Confederation, the Oceania Football Confederation, or CONCACAF is found to meet FIFA requirements.     

On 4/11/2017 at 2:02 PM, Brian in Boston said:

In October of last year, FIFA unveiled bidding and hosting guidelines which stipulated that member-nations from the host confederations of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups - the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA), respectively - would be ineligible to host the 2026 World Cup tournament.

The Australia Football Federation and Football Federation of Kazakhstan both belong to the AFC. The Football Association in England, the Association of Football Federations of Azerbaijan, and the Turkish Football Federation are all members of UEFA. As such, under FIFA's new guidelines, the United States of America, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, New Zealand and Morocco are the only nations on the Wikipedia list that can bid to host the 2026 World Cup.

A member-nation of the AFC or UEFA will only be considered to host the 2026 World Cup if no bid from a member-nation of the Confederation of African Football, the South American Football Confederation, the Oceania Football Confederation, or CONCACAF is found to meet FIFA requirements.     

FIFA also had the rule of each confederation getting the chance to host the World Cup until 2020, only to detonate it when only South Africa and Brazil placed bids for the World Cups that they won. Had that rule been in place through the entire cycle, the US would probably be getting ready for next year's World Cup instead of Russia. Since the number of teams changed, they probably changed the rules right after to allow any country that could handle 80 games in 30 days to place their bids. I haven't heard that it's been made official though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, Brian in Boston said:

That's right, they don't let the previous two federations bid...

Archived